Rear Shock Hardware

joshritger

:
2007 Galaxy Grey Mazda 3 S Hatchback (a.k.a. DILLA)
I have been having trouble with my rear shocks and shock mounts coming loose, and I would like to buy some new hardware for mounting them. I was wondering if anybody knows what size the nut is that holds the shock to the shock mount and what size the nuts are that fasten the shock mount to the car? I have tried loctite on the nuts that fasten the mount to the car, but something is still coming loose, and I want to try nyloc nuts. Problem is that I need the car together to get to the store, and I can't tell what size thread of the nuts are without the nuts in my hand.

Thanks,
Josh

Hmmm? I've only had mine off once and IIRC, the hex was 14mm?? That would likely make the nut a 10mm, but I am guessing here.
Loctite didn't work??? What type were you using? The blue should hold on that, as long as the threads and such were clean. The red would certainly be enough to hold a few nuts like that, but should you want to disassemble them again, you will need air tools, or a big breaker bar.

I know what size wrenches I need, but I replaced the nuts on the mount already and know that the nuts were oversized, the wrench size didn't match the thread size of standard fasteners. I believe it is the same way for the shock to mount nut too.

Well then, I'm sorry. I can only make suggestions to you from what I remember... and that was several years ago now. I haven't had them out since.
BTW: I was installing Koni Yellows at the time too.

A 13mm head nut/bolt is usually means a 10mm bolt/nut. Given what you said and I agree with (14mm wrench vs. 13mm,) I'm stickin' to my story.

Thanks, I am going to pull them out this weekend and will update with what size they actually are. My hardware is kinda messed up too, the idiots who installed them for me, before I knew how to change them, crimped the nut that is on top of the mount (nut that connects the shock to the mount) so it wouldn't come loose after I complained about a vibrating noise. It solved the vibrating noise, but it created a problem when I did finally try to remove them since the nut was slightly mis-shaped. I am able to thread the nut back on, but I am guessing that is why it keeps coming loose.

Josh

Well I had them out today and both the nuts that mounts the shock to the mount and the mount to the car are M8 - 1.25 thread. I used a 13mm socket to get them on and off. The original nuts were smaller on the outside and required a 12mm socket.

Screwy Car Manufactures

Thanks,
Josh

Back