Rear Ended, is this the piece I need?

blue-sun

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
last week I got rear ended by a coworker at the stop light near my work. He wasn't going very fast, if it was 5MPH then I'm surprised.

I looked over the top of the painted rear bumper and it looked fine to me. I just washed the car tonight and I noticed that the black plastic part of the rear bumper is damaged.

Is that black plastic piece replaceable by itself or is it part of the whole rear bumper?

I did a little searching, and I think I found the part:

5417965.gif

Part # 10 in this picture is the piece that was damaged. Is this the right part #? Anyone had experience with swapping out this piece? Is it easy to do?

edit: attached some cell phone pics of the damage.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
It looks to be clipped in the same way the grill is on the MSP. I bet a little screwdriver on those tabs and it pops out. Does the dealer list this part number??

yes that is what you need and yes it's replaceable. Regular 3 owners put it on theirs for a new look

Thanks!

I'm still waiting to hear back from my coworker to see how he wants to handle it. I made an appointment to get an estimate on Saturday AM. I want the bodyshop's estimate, just to make sure there's not anything underneath that needs to be replaced.

I looked underneath the car last night and it looks like the piece is held on by a few clips and 2 bolts, so unless the estimate at the bodyshop is rediculous, my coworker will be buying the part and I'll be installing the piece myself.

I looked underneath the car last night and it looks like the piece is held on by a few clips and 2 bolts, so unless the estimate at the bodyshop is rediculous, my coworker will be buying the part and I'll be installing the piece myself.

Here is a tutorial on how to remove the rear bumper, if its needed:

http://krystmsgarage.com/?p=234

Edit: Here is how to take just that piece off:
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?28254-MS3-rear-valence-on-08.5-Mazda3-install&highlight=ms3+rear+valence

Last edited:
Estimate says the rear bumper needs to be replaced.

I'm just going to have the shop do it, it's more than I want to deal with. Looks like my coworker is going to have to pay. Regardless, the total damage, parts and labor is less than my deductible anyways, so he got of cheap IMHO.

Thanks for the links though guys!

Back