Rear brakes and e brake trouble...it never ends

hoanmy

:
2002 mazda protege5
So my rear caliper, passenger, siezed up and i replaced both rear calipers. I had to since the allen key mechanism rusted and i couldn't back out the pads. Got new calipers in but i can't seem to get the adjustments right. here's the situation: new calipers/pads/rotors. I tightened the allen key so that the wheel cannot spin freely. Then i backed it out 2/3 of the way. The wheels were not spinning freely so i had to back it out a bit more until the wheels are somewhat spinning freely. adjusting and testing a few times because it would either not engange or not let go when i tested it using the ebrake on a slight incline. Bled the brakes several times to be sure. It works now but my e brake does not fully engage for some reason and my car still slides back on an incline. I tightened the adjustment screw by the ebrake to the max as well. My questions is this seemily an issue with my calipers or is the e brake system not engaging enough?

Sorry for the drawn out explanation but it's an issue that has been driving me nuts.

In reference to the wheels not spinning freely, you should know that when you back off the allen bolt, there still will be some rolling resistance. You don't want to loosen it so much that the wheel spins totally free, because then the E-brake won't work. I would give it another adjustment. Find the point where your ebrake will engage fully and then drive around at that setting (with the ebrake off, obviously) for a little while. Then, make sure your rotors are not getting super hot just from driving around.

It's not an exact science, so keep messing around with it. If you can't solve it, you may have to have the ebrake cable replaced. I can sympathize with your caliper predicament...I had to replace one because of allen screws as well. It sucks big time. Good luck,

Yeah it really isn't an exact science. the first time i kept having to adjust it, back out of my driveway, test the ebrake, and go back for more adjustment. How can i tell if my e brake cable is not working properly? I know some folks had issues with the cable tilting causing it to only pull on one caliper. I've changed the brakes in all of the cars that i've owned and this is by far the one that made me wish i had just paid for a brake job

Do the procedure again, but after you tighten the pads up against the rotor, only loosen it 1/3 of a turn. The pads will drag some, but they should be good to go then.

The first time i did this it i backed it out 1/3 of a turn and the wheel barely turned. Backed out of my driveway and i could feel the brakes grabbing on?!?! Oh well back to the trail and error for me.

Back