Rear brake help!!!

NinjaSYXX

:
Mazda Protege 5
So I finished replacing the rear brakes according to the how-to guide in these forums. However, now I get no resistance on my brakes at all, tried when i was driving around the neighborhood and it was pretty scary. One thing my dad and I accidently did was take out the cable and it started leaking some brake fluid.

My dad thinks it could be one of two things however:

1) Air got into the brake fluid duct and it's causing it to have no resistance.

or

2) We adjusted the piston w/ the hexa-wrench a little too much, From what I've read we had to readjust the piston, however not to do it too tight, I loosened it up a bit before test driving it.

Any help please?! It sucks to have my car undriveable and 2 days before classes start for me again. I don't want to have to rely on my girlfriend's 626 all the time. lol

When you adjust the piston with the hex key, tighten it until you can't turn the rotor by hand, then back it off just1/3rd of a turn.

Did u bleed all your brake lines?

That's another thing my dad mentioned, we weren't able to do so because it just became dark right right after i finished it, so we're gonna bleed them tomorrow.

So it was ok for me to adjust the piston til i couldn't anymore? that's basically what i did and unadjusted it 1/3. I honestly thought that was the prob.

Also when bleeding your brake lines. Bleed from the farthest from the driver side first. Then work your way around. Hope it fixes your problem

Definitely air in the lines. Try bleeding the brake whose hose was removed. If that doesn't work, take it to a professional to bleed the line.

shouldn't you bleed passenger rear (as its the furthest from the master cylinder) then the driver rear, passenger front and driver front in that order?

shouldn't you bleed passenger rear (as its the furthest from the master cylinder) then the driver rear, passenger front and driver front in that order?
^yep.

OP:
Ensure you turn the hex 'in' until rotor is hard to run and not 'out'. (If that is what happened) You need to jack to do this adjustment properly. Then adjust the parking brake cable at the console.

Back