Real World MPG

WWNJCX7

Lets get a thread started for Real World MPG.....lets keep it simple

Example

Year: 2007
FWD or AWD: AWD
Average Miles per tank full: 240
PCM Flash Upgrade: Yes

I am starting to wonder why I am getting such poor mileage with my 07 AWD, with moderate driving(mostly city) I am lucky to get 240 miles per tank full. That equals under 15mpg which sucks for a 4 clylinder car like this. I need to hear from others to confirm whether or not this is an issue I need to look further into or not.

Thanks

We average just under 19mpg in our 2008 AWD CX-7 with 7,000 miles on it.

AC on 100% and I get 19.68 mpg ave for ~ 3,000 mile test. No AC and the mileage jumps to 21.9 with a SD of .36. 90% suburban driving and I am an easy driver except when merging and then I have fun using WOT and 5,500 rpm maybe once in 150 miles.

AC 100%, mostly city, added about 300 pounds in weight for audio system, and I get about anywhere from 250-280 depending on how heavy my foot is.
So yeah I agree, for a 4 cyl this sucks.

AWD
300 in normal driving. commute to work is 5.5 miles, mostly going 50-60.
Highway road trips I've seen 375.

I've recently changed my driving habit to accelerate gentler and coast whenever possible. Sometimes annoying the people behind me. But we still arrive at the red light and have to sit there or catch up to the people who just started accelerating at the green so it doesn't really hold them up at all.

Before I changed my driving I was getting 240 / tank. If you put it in drive and watch the tach, make sure you accelerate in such a way that the tach never goes over 2500 RPM. You will see a HUGE improvement in MPG. Using the manual shift to simply shift at 2500 won't be nearly as effective.

Too Tempting not to stomp on.....

After coming out of a V6 with power on tap, I need to stomp mine to get comparable performance. Although I am in my 40's, I can and do drive this car hard as it seems to beg for it. Best tankful mileage was 280 with 50/50 mixed city/hwy.

I have tried to go just one tankful without bringing the tach over 3k, I have not yet been successful. Living in Northern NJ, lots of cars on the road and the need to sometimes merge quickly arises often which requires a stomp to 5k. Being addicted to speed and acceleration does not help matters. Still wondering if my PCM flash killed my mileage as I feel I should be averaging 17 - 19 city.

i drive 85% highway and my low has been 20.5 mpg high has been 24.5 mpg.
For me it depends what speed im driving and how hard im pushing to the juice peddle. I always get over 300 a tank---mostly around 340-380.

Thanks for all the replys - HOWEVER

In an effort to compare apples to apples, I need to know if your 7 is a FWD or AWD.....as the AWD adds those extra pounds which affect MPG. Keeping this puppy under 2500 RPMs is a challenge, staying under 3k is more doable in my area.

Keep the results coming, but please list your drive configuration (FWD or AWD)

thnks

2007 CX7
AWD

CP-E Intake
Forge BPV
ETS 3" TMIC

Last tank was 324 miles
Gallons to fill up 16 gallons

That was city/highway
Light throttles but not slow on the highway 85mph etc.

But when in town keeping it under 2300 where I can hear the boost begin

(headbang)

AWD
Auto
2.3lt turbo

10,000km on odo

city cycle = 5.8km/l

No Hwy cycle readings yet as it's yet to do a long run.

Must say that the CX-7 is over 20% worse than our previous RX-8 (03-model) for fuel consumption. Also of interest is the 20B-REW (triple rotor-twin turbo) powered Cosmo I have as a weekender.

City = 5.1km/l
Hwy= 7.5km/l

With the CX-7 consumption in the realms of a high performance triple rotor Mazda for normal stop start traffic. It's little wonder I'm talking to the wife again about changing back to an RX-8.

Fuel here in Oz is averaging around AU$1.20 lt (US$1=AU$0.92) this type of consumption hurts the weekly budget every time you drive down to the petrol station.

Apologies for using metric but l live in the 21st century, not the 19th.

REgards

2007 FWD. I averaged over 1,500 miles per test. Local easy driving yields (20.36 mpg AC 90%) and (21.4 mpg AC @ 20%)

Last edited:
2007 CX7 FWD. Average 20-22 MPG. Best was 24 MPG UNTIL we had the EGR replaced before our trip to FL. Down there, with the A/C on we got 28 MPG!!!!!

Mods are custom SRI, muffler delete, and Forge BPV.

We need MPG and not miles per tank. I also think a minimum of 3+ full tanks are needed to get a meaningful average. I see ~ 21 MPG with a SD of 0.74. If we are going to make a sticky then we need some consistency to allow us to get meaningful data. Suggest FWD /AWD, 5 tank average or 1,000 miles minimum and include SD, driving highway/city/town/suburb and any modifications JMO. Ed

'07 w/ 18K on it. Average about 22/23mpg, total miles about 350's to 370's depending on highway/local driving. Our driving is mostly 80%highway. Been happy with mileage as it is a turbo CUV.

2008.8 Mazdaspeed3 w/ stock tune and full TBE, stock tires and rims.
~350 miles per tank @ 27.XX mpg
50/50 city and hwy driving ( shift @ 2500rpm )
93 octane only.

Year: 2007
FWD or AWD: FWD
Average Miles per tank full: 360 - Until the gas light comes on
PCM Flash Upgrade: No
93 Octane Only

Have been babying the throttle with a few spirited runs in there. I'm extremely happy. Pushing 26mpg with all city driving. I'm sure that will decline after the holidays when we'll be sitting in traffic all day.

Last edited:
some advice please

Hi. I am a newbie here and hope I am posting in the right place.

I am a new CX-7 owner and in fact, this is my first Mazda. I have been tradionally a life time Honda owner, but my last vehicle was a 07 H3.

Here is my issue:

2010 AWD Grand touring with roughly 325 miles.

The first tank of gas upon delivery got me 182 miles. The second fill up should get me 165 miles. I am no mathmatician, but the #'s dont lie. Even the car is telling me I am averaging 8.9 mpg. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

I called service and the technician told me that for the first 1000 miles the vehicle will get horrible gas mileage because it is in a "learning" process. (unfortunately the salesman didnt bother to mention that)

Does this sound right to any of you owners?? I am using the premium gas and do just about all city driving. Please let me know what you think, I hope nothing is wrong with the vehicle because for the 1 month that I have owned it, I really like it so far. I am in shock to think that a 4cyl would get such horrible mileage, turbo or not - BTW, I am not a lead foot. My H3 got better mileage with an inline 5. Please share your thoughts.....

Back