re-setting tire pressure sensors on new wheels

bigjake

:
2007 Mazda 3 itouring with 2.3 and no turbo
Hey there, new to this forum but a vet at other vehicle forums. I have a 2007 Mazda 3 itouring with a 2.3 engine and no turbo. It has the tire pressure sensors from the factor but I took the factory wheels off and now I want to put the sensors on the new wheels myself (yes I have done many times before just not these types of valve stems). I realize I have to be very careful with them as well as make sure they fit the new wheels. I plan on breaking the beads on my new tires and wheels, removing the stock valve stems and installing the new valve stems, re-seat the bead and air up to proper air pressure. IF I get them off without damaging them and the DO fit my new wheels what do I have to do to make the air pressure light go "off" on the dash.

According to the local Les Swaab (take with a grain of salt). They said there is something special they have to do and it will cost $250. Given I install the valves correctly on the new wheels what do I REALLY have to do to get the car recognize the sensors are back on the car and shut the dash light off. The sensors have been off of the car over a year and they did come off of the car they are going back on to. I just have lost track of what tire each sensor went to. I would've done it sooner but I had an unexpected spine surgery and now I can pull tires off of rims, put them back on without injuring my back as easily so now I'm getting around to it.

Any help is appreciated. If there is a relatively affordable tool to do this I will buy it and avoid having to take it to a tire shop to do every time there is a problem with a pressure sensor on a wheel. Hopefully it's just a "trick" that tire shops and dealers do and don't want to tell people and that I can do at home.

thanks I appreciate the help,

jake

slightly wrong forum, but no... nothing special is required. If the sensors are functioning, and your tire pressure is correct, then the light will simply go off after driving with the new wheels/tires/sensors... Generally it takes between 3-10 miles in my experience, so a quick trip to the store or down the highway will get them synced up.

yea that something specia that you have to do is after installing new TPMS all you have to do is turn your key to the start on position for 15 minutes and it will read the Hz's and after that you just have to reactivate the batterys by driving it up to 50 mph and your good to go. THATS the special something for $250

After you turn the key and wait 15 minutes you have to drive the car above 20 mph for 10 minutes. You can imagine how hard that is to do especially in the city. Just take a long drive on the highway and you should be good.

Back