Rattling/creaking seat?

Stavesacre21

:
2010 Mazdaspeed3
Anyone else have a rattle or creak starting in their drivers seat? I've got about 1500 miles on my 2010 MS3 and the drivers seat is starting to crack/rattle during adjustments within the seat. If you start or stop all the sudden, it's heard as well.

Seems to be coming from behind your butt as opposed to the front section of the seat. Seems to be coming from right around the joint/spot when you recline. Anyone else hearing this? Not so much a squeek but more of a rattle like something it's tight.

My MS6 seat had a problem of the rails not holding the seat right and it very slightly moved...this is different, Seat stays in place, but still makes noise.

Anyone else have a rattle or creak starting in their drivers seat? I've got about 1500 miles on my 2010 MS3 and the drivers seat is starting to crack/rattle during adjustments within the seat. If you start or stop all the sudden, it's heard as well.

Seems to be coming from behind your butt as opposed to the front section of the seat. Seems to be coming from right around the joint/spot when you recline. Anyone else hearing this? Not so much a squeek but more of a rattle like something it's tight.

My MS6 seat had a problem of the rails not holding the seat right and it very slightly moved...this is different, Seat stays in place, but still makes noise.

HOLY F...thank you for posting this!!! I'm glad others have it happening too (well relatively speaking of course haha)! It's driving me crazy. I've had the car since August and am near 4k miles now but since about 1k, I noticed the squeak develop. It's horrible now. It happens when I shift gears or just move a little in the seat. Driving me absolutely mad. I need to call to get it in for a warranty inspection/adjustment! So you are not alone here with that problem on a 2010 MS3.

The squeaking/creaking/rattling sound was a common occurence for the '07-'09 MS3 - enough to warrant a TSB even. Try spraying the seatbelt retainer bolt with some WD-40 or white lithium grease to see if that fixes the problem. My '08 MS3 has been free of this noise for over a year now by using some WD-40.

Might also want to check out the following interesting maintenance tidbits:
  1. HEADLIGHT PLASTIC LENS MAINTENANCE CAUTION
  2. DASHBOARD UPPER SURFACE POOR APPEARANCE
  3. MULTI MODEL - TPMS VALVE STEM BREAKS WHEN REMOVING
  4. MULTI-MODEL - CONDENSATION / FOG IN FRONT AND REAR COMBINATION LIGHTS
  5. CARE AND CLEANING OF INSTRUMENT PANEL SURFACE
More can found here. Hope this helps...

Last edited:
a hair over 4k and no squeaks yet. I'll trade you my clunk for your squeak!

LoL would if I could...but i've already got the clunk as well.

Anyhow, I finally got under the seat today and tried to locate the exact whereabouts of the squeaking. The best I could do is noting that its ONLY on the lateral edge (outer edge) of the seat, not the inside. Got frusterated and just started spraying almost every joint, hinge and non-electrical connection I could find with WD40. Yeah, I covered it all pretty dang good. Couldn't tell you which it was, but it did shoosh up the worst one, which eventually graduated to a full fledged obnoxious squeak.

If it helps anyone else out, there is a metal, silver bar the runs the width under the seat and kinda tapers into the edges. it was one of the first places I started spraying and it seemed like it helped almost immediately.

mine creaks a bit sometimes. When it gets worse I'll try to find the exact source and fix it. If Mazda releases a TSB before that, I'll go through them, otherwise I bet I can fix it myself.

left side bolster is almost the only place that creaks now...spraying under the seat with WD40 has cleared up most of the obnoxiousness. Thinkin it'll be pretty tough to get inside the bolster lol

Initially it would seem pretty easy to fix, but I'm a real sissy when it comes to playing with harnesses / connectors etc having to do with airbags. Scary stuff. Any tips on working with airbags? If the battery is disconnected, does this effectively and completely prevent airbags from deploying (like if you accidentally somehow short a few wires while trying to unplug a stiff connector etc?) If the seat can be electronically unhooked without any dangers, then it should be generally "easy" to fully remove the seat (if need be) and fully attack any squeak / creak issues. Those airbags really give me the chills though, whenever I'm working near them I keep imagining them blowing up in my face and causing damage to both me and the car. Hopefully I'm just over-reacting, I wonder how often it actually happens (that a mechanic accidentally sets off a bag)?

I bet it's very rare. The only related issue I ever had with a car was I forgot to disconnect the battery when I removed the seat and I had an airbag light on after that (even after I reconnected the seat) until I got the warning lamp reset.

I'm pretty sure they make airbags tricky as hell to set off unless they are supposed to.

On the 2010 Speed3 it's the rail the seat sits on (the one closest to the driver door) and using white lithium grease only stops it for a little bit (if you spray the rail and then slide the seat back and forth)

Bring it to the dealer and they will check it out / replace the rail for you.

WTF is it with these Mazdaspeed vehicles and their seat rails?! They never got it completely right on the MS6, although I will mention that this isn't AS bad as the MS6. Seriously...in the MS6, when you'd start moving, the seat would move about 1mm forward or backward everytime you'd stop and go. everytime. Almost felt like something in the seat was engaging into a locking place...but never did.

Wow... I was surprised to seee this post.... my seat creeks like a mothaf******... When I take turns or sometimes just fix my posture it creeks like an old ass bed thats had a lot of action over the years. Im not overweight thats for sure, so that didnt cause it... but it is annoying the hell out of me escpecially with LESS THAN 2K miles!

wow... I was surprised to seee this post.... My seat creeks like a mothaf******... When i take turns or sometimes just fix my posture it creeks like an old ass bed thats had a lot of action over the years. Im not overweight thats for sure, so that didnt cause it... But it is annoying the hell out of me escpecially with less than 2k miles!

amen!!!!

mine creaks a bit sometimes. When it gets worse I'll try to find the exact source and fix it. If Mazda releases a TSB before that, I'll go through them, otherwise I bet I can fix it myself.

COULD be a spring within the seat.... I assume the part you sit on contains springs... I wouldnt dare open a seat up.

If you can recognize WHERE the creak is coming from, I found that some WD40 did the trick for the under-seat creaks. Seriously....use it liberally everywhere undernearth the seat (access it all from the front). Expecially coat the drivers-door side rails and all components...they seem to be the worst.

The sound i'm hearing up higher in the drivers side lateral bolster almost sounds more like cheap material flexing and creaking. Sounds almost like a material stretched too tight.

Latest posts

Back