[Rant] My CX-5 may be my last Mazda, even if I love to drive them

Mayoo

:
Mazda CX-5 GS
Hi all,

I just wanted to rant a little bit about Mazda. I know the entire car industry is kind of late in everything. But right now, as much as I loved my 2004 Mazda 3 and as much as I like my 2014 CX-5, it looks like this will be my last Mazda unless they wake the f*ck up.

We're now over a year since Android Auto/Apple CarPlay began to show regularly into cars. And while every other major companies, even smaller ones, integrated it, Mazda still hasn't implemented ANYTHING. And yet they release new models. This is a complete joke.

I was part, and I still am part, of those who thinks an infotainment system isn't a dealbreaker for a huge buy like a car. But having said that, what it represents is worse than the functionality. It shows that Mazda have hired the most stupid engineers to design this OR they just don't care about modern technologies and have absolutely no future vision of where they are going. For god sake's, Android Auto doesn't even require a hardware change and they can't implement it. Yet, a dude was able to "hack it" on a 2014 model! What the heck is Mazda doing in the meantime?

Also, I want an electric model more than ever. They don't even have an hybrid model at this time. Yeah sure, Skyactiv takes less gas on paper. But don't they realize people also have a conscience about 0 emission? About being free from fossil fuel?

There, this is my rant. I hate car companies in general for their lack of advances in technology (unless you are BMW or something). But for Mazda, in 2016, they are laughing straight into our faces. They are beyond late, they are too late.

Mazda is making a come back, their priorities lie towards saving the brand and in honesty the most value for Mazda is not inside the cabin but under the hood. On your Hybrid / electric rant - again Mazda is a small company. I do not believe you can hold them to the same standards as Ford / Honda / FCA / GM / Toyota.

I am done with Toyota for similar reasons for Going the Hyrdrogen way and milking hybrids for $ along the way.

Good luck to you!

I am pretty sure all this is outsourced to another company, perhaps the one which created the software for this infotainment.
I am also pretty sure that they are working on it, but did not release it yet. I think that Mazda's Dave Coleman remarked about this in some YouTube interview.
Keep in mind that hacking something is not the same as doing a proper release. I am sure that there is also some friction from Apple and Google before they can say it is done and use the official trademarks.

Once it is officially ready, I think there is a good chance that it will make it to all compatible infotainments across the lineup.

I do agree with you and I'd require my next car to have Android Auto integration at the time of purchase. That said, this type of integration is definitely not the last word, but an interim solution until Android is actually embedded within the car's infotainment. This was hinted at the last Google IO, which showed a Maserati Ghibli luxury sedan with a concept system.

I'm a absolute tech geek and really want Android Auto, but personally I think this whole post is ridiculous. I just got my car in January and test drove as many cars as possible in the category along with some that aren't. Android Auto and Carplay are not as readily available as you may think they are. None of the cars I drove even had it. Yeah you may see commercials for it, but like I said, it's not as adopted as you think yet. Here's a list https://www.cars.com/articles/which-2016-cars-have-android-auto-1420681175443/. Not many cars in that list and within my price range I would even consider. The drive is far more important.

Hi all,

I just wanted to rant a little bit about Mazda. I know the entire car industry is kind of late in everything. But right now, as much as I loved my 2004 Mazda 3 and as much as I like my 2014 CX-5, it looks like this will be my last Mazda unless they wake the f*ck up.

We're now over a year since Android Auto/Apple CarPlay began to show regularly into cars. And while every other major companies, even smaller ones, integrated it, Mazda still hasn't implemented ANYTHING. And yet they release new models. This is a complete joke.

I was part, and I still am part, of those who thinks an infotainment system isn't a dealbreaker for a huge buy like a car. But having said that, what it represents is worse than the functionality. It shows that Mazda have hired the most stupid engineers to design this OR they just don't care about modern technologies and have absolutely no future vision of where they are going. For god sake's, Android Auto doesn't even require a hardware change and they can't implement it. Yet, a dude was able to "hack it" on a 2014 model! What the heck is Mazda doing in the meantime?

Also, I want an electric model more than ever. They don't even have an hybrid model at this time. Yeah sure, Skyactiv takes less gas on paper. But don't they realize people also have a conscience about 0 emission? About being free from fossil fuel?

There, this is my rant. I hate car companies in general for their lack of advances in technology (unless you are BMW or something). But for Mazda, in 2016, they are laughing straight into our faces. They are beyond late, they are too late.

I'm sure Mazda will be heartbroken. Electric is not zero emissions, it just moves the emissions around.

Hi all,

We're now over a year since Android Auto/Apple CarPlay began to show regularly into cars. And while every other major companies, even smaller ones, integrated it, Mazda still hasn't implemented ANYTHING. And yet they release new models. This is a complete joke. Yeah, their electronics are circa 2005. I agree, here. Very outdated. Makes me miss my 2010 Jeep's awesome NAV/entertainment system big time.

I was part, and I still am part, of those who thinks an infotainment system isn't a dealbreaker for a huge buy like a car. But having said that, what it represents is worse than the functionality. It shows that Mazda have hired the most stupid engineers to design this OR they just don't care about modern technologies and have absolutely no future vision of where they are going. For god sake's, Android Auto doesn't even require a hardware change and they can't implement it. Yet, a dude was able to "hack it" on a 2014 model! What the heck is Mazda doing in the meantime? I think they are budget limited and put the NAV, etc. on the back-burner.

Also, I want an electric model more than ever. They don't even have an hybrid model at this time. Yeah sure, Skyactiv takes less gas on paper. But don't they realize people also have a conscience about 0 emission? About being free from fossil fuel? That's cool and all, but fossil fuel is more eco-friendly than electric hybrids. It's been shown time and time again. Do a bit of Google, and while you're at it, go to Google Images and type "Lithium Mine".

I agree that I laugh every time I see a 2016.5'er ask "where's traffic in my NAV?" when I think Jeep and a host of others had that mess back in the 2000's, but why are you giving BMW a free pass?

If you decide to not get a Mazda, the Mirage has crapple carplay and android auto and gets hybrid like MPG.

I am pretty sure all this is outsourced to another company, perhaps the one which created the software for this infotainment.
I am also pretty sure that they are working on it, but did not release it yet. I think that Mazda's Dave Coleman remarked about this in some YouTube interview.
Keep in mind that hacking something is not the same as doing a proper release. I am sure that there is also some friction from Apple and Google before they can say it is done and use the official trademarks.

Once it is officially ready, I think there is a good chance that it will make it to all compatible infotainments across the lineup.

I do agree with you and I'd require my next car to have Android Auto integration at the time of purchase. That said, this type of integration is definitely not the last word, but an interim solution until Android is actually embedded within the car's infotainment. This was hinted at the last Google IO, which showed a Maserati Ghibli luxury sedan with a concept system.

Yeah, it was made by Johnson Controls electronics division which was acquired by Visteon. The merger activity around the time of launch that may have put the software into some kind of limited contract-bug fix mode - ie, Visteon may have wanted to renegotiate the contract for substantial feature additions. Just speculation.

Hi all,

Such bitterness is just sad for you. Why did you buy the car if you hate it and the company that made it? Seems like a smart move would have been to buy something that you would not hate so much. Makes no sense to me...complaining so much about a decision you made.

Don't get me wrong about electric... I just put up a small solar array but I just saw this research from WSU about methane emissions from hydroelectric.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...carbon-neutral-after-all-wsu-researchers-say/
I'm sure Mazda will be heartbroken. Electric is not zero emissions, it just moves the emissions around.
Yeah I really don't understand the hype of full electrical vehicles like Tesla which have very limited range and operating environment, i.e. good weather year round! Like wlong01, I've been saying this for a long time that power plants, including nuclear power plants, emit too much emissions. And electrical vehicle is not true zero emissions, it only moves the emissions around!

Different priorities I guess. I test drove the CX-5 3 times. The day after I got it home I turned on the radio for the first time. I wanted to know how it felt, how it handled. Did it have Zoom Zoom.
infotainment system?? If I want something different I can pop something in the hole for $500.
The payback on a electric is approximately forever, and they pollute.

yeah, if the main complaint is related to the infotainment system and lack of android auto, I feel your pain. But here's how I feel about it. I can mount my phone up anywhere in my car and get android auto there(coming soon, I know). Or choose many other apps in the play store to give me that experience. But I can't add in a tuned suspension, superb handling(for a cuv), and just an overall great driving vehicle in a vehicle. Just not something you can add in ideally. So I'll take that car that as a car, is "perfect" at what it's suppose to do. Technology stuff, you can mess around with and get close to the experience by using a cell phone/tablet, etc. But if a car drives like crap, it drives like crap. Yeah, you can probably start adding suspension mods and what not but your average will not bother wasting that kind of money on a CUV.

I am frustrated like you about the lack of android auto implementation in Mazdas. It's pathetic. However, if really doesn't affect my life. I would notice a lot more if my car drove like crap than if it didn't have android auto. Which is why I'm okay right now. Mazda is going to have to add in at some point. We just hope they back track to our years vehicle as it is certainly capable of it. If they don't do that, then this will be my last Mazda simply because that would be a blow to customers.

Last edited:
Yeah I really don't understand the hype of full electrical vehicles like Tesla which have very limited range and operating environment, i.e. good weather year round! Like wlong01, I've been saying this for a long time that power plants, including nuclear power plants, emit too much emissions. And electrical vehicle is not true zero emissions, it only moves the emissions around!
It only moves emissions around.
And only reduces them.
Is only locally grown.
No need to go to war.
Our electricity uses less and less coal, 5% wind and .3 % Solar.
You only need to look at China / Shanghai example - you have to enter a lottery to get registration for ICE vehicle, for electric its open.

Tesla's are fashion statement / early adopters. The way Leaf has been successful is great, in Europe many countries give free of cost charge. I love what CA and CO do - in CO you could get a eGolf for 22.5K after 12.5K rebates. Thats a loaded eGolf which does not even compromise on storage.

In US it will only work as a 2nd car for a family. CX-5 + a Plug in or a Electric.

I agree Mazda are years behind, but then i think all Jap cars are not keeping up with the competition.
In the UK most Vag cars have android auto as standard.

My next car will certainly have it.
They is a hack available but as yet i think its not 100% working.

Back