Radio not working at drive thru restaurants

Jack Rabbit

Banned
:
18 Mazda CX5 AW
Have owned the CX5 for several months now.
The radio used to work.
And first thought the radio was malfunctioning. But now, over the last few weeks, have noticed that the radio goes silent ... Only around restaurant buildings ...Sometimes it is near the drive thru window and other times it seems to be silent around the whole building. Regardless whether at McDonalds, DQ or Wendys, it seems to be occuring everywhere. I switch between FM and Sirius and have been listening to alot of Satellite lately. Will need to check and see if also happens with FM. Do the restaurants now have radio noise cancelling technology?
Or did Mazda update my software to recognize drive thru and turn off the radio? Trying to figure out what is happening.

Have owned the CX5 for several months now.
The radio used to work.
And first thought the radio was malfunctioning. But now, over the last few weeks, have noticed that the radio goes silent ... Only around restaurant buildings ...Sometimes it is near the drive thru window and other times it seems to be silent around the whole building. Regardless whether at McDonalds, DQ or Wendys, it seems to be occuring everywhere. I switch between FM and Sirius and have been listening to alot of Satellite lately. Will need to check and see if also happens with FM. Do the restaurants now have radio noise cancelling technology?
Or did Mazda update my software to recognize drive thru and turn off the radio? Trying to figure out what is happening.

From your post, you're talking about AM radio? I've had my CX for over 6 years now, I don't even know if the AM band works. lol

The only time I've noticed a radio go completely silent it was XM satellite blocked from the sky, as in some parking garages. AM and FM receive static when out of range.

This is totally normal for satellite radio, as it's a line of sight reception.
Yeah... Understand that when happens under bridges but it used to work around these buildings. This seems to be a relatively new encounter almost as if they have some radio signal cancel tech.

Yeah... Understand that when happens under bridges but it used to work around these buildings. This seems to be a relatively new encounter almost as if they have some radio signal cancel tech.
A bridge is a guarantee, since they cover all angles, but most radios have a built in buffer. Some better than others. I had a Pioneer unit in my boat. The lake we were on connected to another lake on the other side of the highway. I had to go under a couple concrete bridges to get to it. It was exactly 15 seconds before it dropped the signal. I have not timed it on the Mazda, but it seems to work quite well.

To add to what Sig cx-5 mentioned about buffer, maybe it's not fast food anymore and you're waiting longer? :unsure: (that's partially a joke)

Back