question about second gen mazda5 2012 onwards

dd123

:
Mazda protege-5 2002
Looking to buy a used one, second gen ie 2012 or later
does the second gen have the same suspension issue which plagued first gen ?

thanks

Read some of the threads in the Suspension subforum. I and others have had issues with steering wheel vibration at highway speeds, which some have seemed to resolve with new tires, wheels, or both. Others suggest it may be an inherent "harmonic" vibration due to the 5's stretched out platform (vs. the 3). I replaced the OEM tires at 18,000 miles because of a pronounced vibration in the front suspension at highway speeds, and while the vibration has diminished, it's still there. I've had two different shops attempt to balance the wheels, more than once, and it's still a problem. I'm looking to get a 4 wheel alignment in the spring, hopefully after some of the craters around here have been filled.

Also look for threads about camber issues. My understanding is that the first generation 5 owners believe weak springs in the rear (since beefed up in the second generation 5s) were eating tires and destroying the shocks. The latter may be true, but I think the aggressive negative camber of the rear wheels may be the culprit with the tire wear issues. Of course, not everyone has experienced this problem, but some have. My tires were definitely worn significantly on the inside shoulders.

Some here suggest these issues are the trade-off we pay for a better handling car.

Last edited:
No - the rear suspension issues have been resolved for the 2nd gen (2012+).

Not so. I have made a few posts about this, and also posted pics of the rear camber and sag of our '12 MZ5. Look here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123837633-2012-rear-alignment-and-tire-wear

I chat with another member here on occasion, and he is having issues with his '12 as well. The service manager at our local dealer tells me almost all Mazda 3/5 have an issue with the tire wear, as a side effect of the suspension design.

Read some of the threads in the Suspension subforum. I and others have had issues with steering wheel vibration at highway speeds, which some have seemed to resolve with new tires, wheels, or both. Others suggest it may be an inherent "harmonic" vibration due to the 5's stretched out platform (vs. the 3). I replaced the OEM tires at 18,000 miles because of a pronounced vibration in the front suspension at highway speeds, and while the vibration has diminished, it's still there. I've had two different shops attempt to balance the wheels, more than once, and it's still a problem. I'm looking to get a 4 wheel alignment in the spring, hopefully after some of the craters around here have been filled.

Also look for threads about camber issues. My understanding is that the first generation 5 owners believe weak springs in the rear (since beefed up in the second generation 5s) were eating tires and destroying the shocks. The latter may be true, but I think the aggressive negative camber of the rear wheels may be the culprit with the tire wear issues. Of course, not everyone has experienced this problem, but some have. My tires were definitely worn significantly on the inside shoulders.

Some here suggest these issues are the trade-off we pay for a better handling car.

There are other things than can induce steering wheel vibration. In my past experience I have had out of spec hubs, defective CV joints, a bad passenger side driveshaft bearing, bad motor mounts, etc. There is some precision to the MZ5's steering which will amplify any trembles. I went with Yoko Avid Envigor tires which ride quiet and soft, but have the side effect of dulling the steering feel and response. As of now, however, there is no steering wheel tremble/shake. Like you said, the roads here are like a warzone. I have seen people get stuck in the potholes here trying to creep though them, they bottom out on the chassis and that's the end of it. My local Discount Tire has a 3-6 hour wait daily now, their numbers will look really good this quarter.

Not so. I have made a few posts about this, and also posted pics of the rear camber and sag of our '12 MZ5. Look here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123837633-2012-rear-alignment-and-tire-wear

I was referring to the upgraded struts and springs the 2nd gen received which was done to address the issue the 1st gen had with constantly blowing out rear struts.

I have 76,000km on the vehicle and have had zero issues with tire wear. It is annoying having to rotate the tires every oil change though.

As far as steering wheel vibration, I have none. I did when I first got the van, but the dealer determined the issue to be rims (defective from factory). Once all 4 were replaced the issue was completely gone.

Personally, if I were looking at used, I would stick to looking for a 2nd gen. There are a lot less issues and I think most would agree that the 2nd gen is a little more refined.

Latest posts

Back