Pulled my intake manifold off, couldn't believe what I saw...

why recall 3005C should extend to more P5's

If its the same issue for ALL of the engines, why would Mazda only cover a certain set? Seems ridiculous. I'd love to get a new free motor, then I'd keep it...

My take is that they were required by the Feds to do a recall only because an identified manufacturing defect (incorrectly torqued screws) can cause excessive emissions by messing with the seating of the valves. The destruction of the engine was not a cause for the recall. That's why if they check compression and it's okay, they don't need to do more. It's not because the problem doesn't exist, but because it's not causing an emission problem. Furthermore, Mazda has limited the recall to the time period with the incorrectly torqued screws - the other ones were torqued right, so it wasn't a manufacturing defect, it was a design defect causing engine failure earlier than would be expected, but usually beyond the warranty period, so it might be considered a long-term reliability issue.

If the car makes it past the warranty period, Mazda can charge full price for repair, rather than having to eat the cost for all cars, many of which may not suffer any noticeable damage. How many examples are there of cars with multiple lost screws before the problem was correctly identified?

I think there are going to be a lot more of these issues as cars age, because it's a vibration problem, so maybe it's time to update the recall, because if the screw causes the engine to seize while on the highway, then that becomes a safety issue, not just an emissions problem. And I don't think that they have "remove, thread-lock, then retighten intake butterfly screws" every 30,000 miles as a standard maintenance procedure.

My P5 was built the month before the recall (s/n 171980), just outside the recall range. It exhibited the classic recall 3005C symptoms and is in the shop now. #4 plug was the one that was bashed in. The internal rattling went away on the trip to the parts store to get some new plugs. While in the lot looking for the best brand, I found info on this recall.

I can't believe that Mazda isn't considering that self-destructing engines may be an image problem for having unreliable engines, at least compared to the modern-age lifespan of engines. They should at least offer some discount for people trying to prevent total engine destruction and potential engine seizure (and resulting lack of control) while driving. If they make me pay full price to get the issue fixed, I don't know that I want to buy another vehicle from a manufacturer that doesn't stand behind its work.

---mike...

Why does a thread revival cause such db responses when it pertains to someone experiencing the same issue that the thread is about? Check it out, I just revived a coupla 9yr old threads for you to freak out about.....enjoy.

OP, welcome aboard, wish it was under better circumstances & yep, recall should have been wider range of VINs. People before and after recall range have had the same issue.

Last edited:
I know it comes apart in halves and you can just take out the top half out. IIRC, the throttle body is connected to lower half and was left on the car but did loosen the brace that connects down lower to the block. I only got new IM gasket when I did the VTCS delete and P&P on IM. The IM gasket in the middle is metal and reused that one. Let me see if I can find the VTCS removal thread where it shows disassembly................

Here is an IM removal thread that the pics still work........................

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...Intake-Manifol-Removal&highlight=VTCS+removal

Last edited:
omg thread revival much?

According to the tutorial in the Sticky: New Members...PLEASE READ,... MikeInMass was doing things properly.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

It specifically states in big red letters "It Is Always Better To Post To An Existing Thread Than To Start A New One"

It says nothing about how long a thread has been dormant.

If a thread revival is a forum issue then it should be mentioned in the tutorial.

OK,... My turn to get flamed,... (I'm too lazy to read the thousands of posts on the topic)

Am I safe in assuming that if my screws haven't fallen out in 12 years that they are hopefully seized in there from age ??

OK,... My turn to get flamed,... (I'm too lazy to read the thousands of posts on the topic)

Am I safe in assuming that if my screws haven't fallen out in 12 years that they are hopefully seized in there from age ??

you should be safe. unless they were semi loose and rattled the heads of the screws off, but you'd definitely hear it if something like that happened. it wouldnt hurt to pull the manifold and either lock tight the screws or remove the butterflies completely

you should be safe. unless they were semi loose and rattled the heads of the screws off, but you'd definitely hear it if something like that happened. it wouldnt hurt to pull the manifold and either lock tight the screws or remove the butterflies completely

I wanted to avoid pulling off the manifold,... it sounds like a pretty big job. I live in Canada too so the VTCS does have some value (lots of cold starts).

I think I'll leave well enough alone and assume that the screws are seized like every other nut and bolt on my car.

[offtopic] Every time I see this thread title, "Message in a Bottle" starts going through my head. [/offtopic]

"Pulled off my innntaaaake, don't believe what I sawwww.....
VTCS butterfly jammed inside the hooooole...."

Back