Proud new Speed owner

BigSpicy03

:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege Spicy
Hey whats up guys just wanted to say hi an introduce myself I'm from NH just bought my first Mazda its an 03 Spicy MSP with 34,000 original miles on it i'll have picks up soon. look forward to gettin to know you guys

WelcomeBigSpicy03!! Thats a low mileage spicy. Check you're vacuum lines for cracks (pressure test) and make sure the wastegate actuator is working properly. If its stock, boost ranges from 6-7psi.
If you want to mod the crap out of it research the thw MSP sub forum. Have fun.

thanks man sounds good yea i have noticed a little hesitation when i step on the throttle thought it might be a bad vaccum

A dsm afc (piggyback tuner) will fix the hesitation. The stock msp ecu tune is pretty crappy. And if you're stilling running the stock smic, it heatsoaks, so a fmic is really worth the money. Plus you could swap out the stock plastic intake for an injen cai, I think I saw one FS yesterday.
Test your coil condition plus gap of your spark plugs to the oem specs. Gl bro, take some pics.

nope its probably fuel cut. Welcome to the wonderful word of the msp and the forum.

awesome sounds good thanks for the info sands..i take it this fuel cut thing is a common problem sound like fun. Well so far i love the car but the repairs haven't started rolling in but thats why im here to learn

No problem :]

If your experiencing fuel cut than you're wastegate might need to be replaced with an atp wastegate. If you have a boost gauge how much psi..10psi?

Seeing that you live in NH, the weather is probably pretty cold right now which means it will need an afc if you turned up the boost higher than 9 - 10psi. Be carfull with it until a tune, the msp tune dumps fuel like crazy low numbers and needs a reflash from the dealer if you haven't done that yet,if you go ahead and buy a piggyback it comes with a superstock map that can be tuned. Some version can control timing.

Stock turbo msps tuned on afc or ftcs are fun. When i did full bolt ons on the stock tubro I ran 12psi tuned on afc version 1, begi fmic w/turbo xs RFL, forge diverter valve connected into the short ram injen cai, 3" GHL high flow cat downpipe w/custom RSR turboback. Of course, wheels and susension but the best investment was the engine bolt ons for the buck. One word, it ran great and was quick.
I miss it ;/ but have fun with the spicy I saw one the other day on the way to work...haha... can't miss it.

Welcome aboard. I'd throw in a fresh set of NGK plugs, new PCV, air filter and do a Seafoam treatment. That is some low mileage for an 03, I put 37K on mine in year one.

Damn, that is some low mileage for an '03 for sure. Great find and like the others are saying... pics! (2thumbs)

All I'm going to say is spicy is an awesome color! For real! Pics please. The SS AFC that was mentioned earlier is definitely the way to go. It was my first mod 5 years ago.

that was the color I was looking for when I bought my sun silver! and I thought I had low miles at 42,000 ... your 34,000 is insane, especially on a car that is 8 yrs old. Spicy's are by far the sexiest of colors.
welcome to the forums

Last edited:
Pics are coming weather has been kinda crappy getting it all cleaned up tomorrow...so far i love the car i get all sorts of looks and the low mileage is great. The only thing that is killing me is this fuel cut thing what a pain I just want to hit the gas and go the car is SO SICK in the twisties. (drive)

welcome! nice find cant beat getting an MSP with 34K, you can get quite a bit of help on this forum if you ever have any questions

Back