Protege High Mileage Club

2002 Protege LX (2nd Owner). 174,000 miles on all original equipment (minus maintenance items). I stil average 28-30 MPG with an auto!!!

1454788_10100507280642644_1732463484_n.jpg

2003 Mica Black Mazdaspeed Protege at 126xxx miles and running smooth. Just changed the timing belt and the water pump to refresh the engine now I need struts, springs, and tires soon.

I am the original owner of a 2002 Protege LX; it has 235K on the original motor. It is now on its second timing belt. It does burn a quart of oil every 750-1000 miles. I have always done all the oil changes myself with synthetic 5W30.

Should I switch to a synthetic blend, such as 10w30? Thanks.

Just bought a 2002 Protege LX 2 weeks ago as a commuter/gas saver. 159,xxx and counting. I drive 60+ a day. Starts and runs like a champ. From what I understand only the clutch has been replaced aside from maintenance. Loving it so far, and it is a hell of a lot cheaper to drive than my Silverado.

Just picked up a 2003 Protege ES in 5 speed with 210,XXX miles! Everything seems to still run strong, some squealing in the belts, heard tightening the belts would fix it but not sure how to do it.

'02 Protege ES...after 277K miles the engine called it quits. Wife wants me to part out the car but that won't happen...will get another motor to drop in there!!!!!!

'02 Protege ES...after 277K miles the engine called it quits. Wife wants me to part out the car but that won't happen...will get another motor to drop in there!!!!!!

Woah! Just saw this. Bummer that she finally kicked the bucket, but FS-DE's are cheap. Do it up!

My Speed is a Perfect Donor Car for an ES!!!

Got an early 2002 Protege5 with 199,420ish heh heh... I almost made it to 200!!! Just got sideswiped a couple weeks ago on drivers door and fender so now its totaled! Im keeping her though, still starts and drives like a champ and it wont get a salvage title since its over 7yrs old (never knew that was a thing).

Also about to buy an 2002 ES with 189,xxx for $800. Thing runs like piss, has a flashing cel with a cyl2 misfire and some fuel trim codes along with a VTCS code. Didnt feel like it was misfiring while driving it lightly which leads me to think its got a vacuum leak. Gonna pull spark plug 2 when i go back to buy it and see if the tip is smashed in from the infamous vtcs screws. Mostly buying the car for body parts and the trans so i dont really care about the engine at this point, although it'll be fun to pull apart and see whats wrong.

I had a P5 I regularly serviced at my previous shop that had 340k on it. Did timing belt service 3 times and countless ignition coils. haha

OG owner of a 1992 LX currently @170k miles. Have only replaced the catalytic convertor, muffler x2, timing chain, tires x5, stereo and lots of oil changes.

Back