Protege "Chalkboard" Hood

Yes, it is literally a protege hood that functions as a chalk board.

Inspired by the 1980's BMW art cars, I decided to make this a couple years ago with a spare Protege MP3 I had lying around. I stripped the wax off of the hood, sanded it slightly so the paint would stick, and put on a couple layers of Valspar chalkboard paint. It's a blast to have a constantly changing piece of artwork as the hood of your vehicle. The rain will erase it though...

FREE to a good home
Message me to inquire

EDIT: Would prefer local pickup

Attachments

• DSC01329.JPG
    DSC01329.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC01328.JPG
    DSC01328.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
MP3? but yea i goggled it and old forums from here said they do:) now i just wait to see if he can ship cause id love that

^^^^^^^^ If he won't then paint yours.

OP, very cool idea there. Looks flat black when unchalked and like was stated, everchanging mobile art. Could let the kids in my cul-de-sac draw on it instead of their driveways. They're always out drawing on the sidewalks/driveways/street. Anyway, novel idea & GLWS.

ok i understand how to sand the hood and stuff, but how to you strip the wax? just in case you cant ship to me brotha.

p.s. im going to work ill be back at 1 for replies

ok i understand how to sand the hood and stuff, but how to you strip the wax? just in case you cant ship to me brotha.

p.s. im going to work ill be back at 1 for replies

I washed it with Joy dishwashing soap. The water beaded off of it pretty nicely before I washed it. After I washed it though, the water just sat there as one big sheet. I just wanted to make sure the chalkboard paint didn't chip or flake off as easily as I am unsure of its UV-resistive properties.

And many thanks to all of the comments. Glad to hear I had a good idea for once, hah.

Last edited:
sorry to bomb the thread, but i just thought of something. If it rains and you have chalk on it, wouldn't the colors run all over the car?

by the sounds of it yes, but the chances of the rain washing it all away are pretty good. If it just sprinkles then it may leave some colors behind. Just grab a hose or a bucket of water and its gone! cool idea BTW.

washing off wouldnt be a problem, just dont want colors all over the car. Plus i have no idea what chalky water could do to the paint

Back