Protege 5 Trade-In Value

Carmax wanted to give me 10K for my P5. It has 43K miles on it, the tires are bald and i didn't have most of my stock parts.

Check this out!

http://www.sunnysideusedcars.com/en_US/

2003 Mazda Protege PR5
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=standardSection id=vehInfoContainer vAlign=top>Price: $16,385
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR id=milesRow><TD class=label id=milesLabel>Mileage:</TD><TD class=value id=milesValue>44,781 </TD></TR><TR id=engineRow><TD class=label id=engineLabel>Engine:</TD><TD class=value id=engineValue>2.0L 4 cyl Fuel Injection </TD></TR><TR id=exteriorRow><TD class=label id=exteriorLabel>Exterior:</TD><TD class=value id=exteriorValue> </TD></TR><TR id=interiorRow><TD class=label id=interiorLabel>Interior:</TD><TD class=value id=interiorValue> </TD></TR><TR id=stockRow><TD class=label id=stockLabel>Stock Number:</TD><TD class=value id=stockValue>P3910 </TD></TR><TR id=vinRow><TD class=label id=vinLabel>VIN:</TD><TD class=value id=vinValue>JM1BJ245731165503</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1sty said:
Check this out!

http://www.sunnysideusedcars.com/en_US/

2003 Mazda Protege PR5
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=standardSection id=vehInfoContainer vAlign=top>Price: $16,385
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR id=milesRow><TD class=label id=milesLabel>Mileage:</TD><TD class=value id=milesValue>44,781 </TD></TR><TR id=engineRow><TD class=label id=engineLabel>Engine:</TD><TD class=value id=engineValue>2.0L 4 cyl Fuel Injection </TD></TR><TR id=exteriorRow><TD class=label id=exteriorLabel>Exterior:</TD><TD class=value id=exteriorValue> </TD></TR><TR id=interiorRow><TD class=label id=interiorLabel>Interior:</TD><TD class=value id=interiorValue> </TD></TR><TR id=stockRow><TD class=label id=stockLabel>Stock Number:</TD><TD class=value id=stockValue>P3910 </TD></TR><TR id=vinRow><TD class=label id=vinLabel>VIN:</TD><TD class=value id=vinValue>JM1BJ245731165503</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Wow! I paid 15,600 brand new for mine with 29 miles on it in June 2002.

chuyler1 said:
All you have to do is get them to admit that your car is going to sell real fast. For example...watch the lot on a weekly basis for Protege5s. There aren't many out there so if the dealership has one, they'll prolly put it in the front. Once you see one, keep track of how long it sits there and what the sticker price is.

Around here, they don't last 2 weeks. If you have proof of this...that's all you need. Take your proof to the dealership when you are ready to buy and make sure to insert the following into the negotiations.

a) I am ready to buy today. I have my checkbook and I'm waiting for you to give me a number.
b) I am trading in my Protege5 with Xxxx miles on it and X features.
c) I know for a fact this car sold for around (A) on your lot recently and you currently don't have any in inventory.
d) I also know it will only take you (B) to sell my car since they are a very popular used car right now due to their limited production and unique styling.
e) I am willing to negotiate this purchase if you give me (C) for my trade in. I know it sounds high, but I also know you can turn this car around and make a few grand real fast.

A= sticker price - $1000 on car you saw on the lot
B= number of days/weeks you saw said car
C= value A - about $1500. (be prepared to settle for value A-$2000.)

So if you saw a P5 listed at $13,000, go in and say you'll sell them your car for $10,000. You have to assume that the buyer of the car you saw talked them down below the sticker and you have to give them insentive to buy your car for a reasonable price. If you ask for $12,000 they'll laugh at you because it gives them no room to negotiate and still make a profit with the future buyer of your car.

IMO, $7000 is very unreasonable. That might be a decent price to trade in a Protege Sedan but certainly not a P5.

Wow, that's not the way to do it. the BEST way to do it is 1. ask to see the invoice. As slow as business is, dealerships are willing to sell them for a few hundred over (on new cars/trucks). 2. RESEARCH your car. Dealers don't go by what they're selling for. Every car has a different story, much like every customer has a different story. The $$ amount we put into cars isn't what they're selling for on the lot or what we THINK they're worth. The black book averages what they are selling for weekly at the larger auctions in the region. There IS a reason behind the $$. There are MANY factors that go into what makes a car worth what it's worth. Rebates/Incentives, gas $, what region you're in, what's selling, etc. Just because they sold one last month doesn't mean it'll be worth the same thing this month. For example, the employee pricing s*** that went on last year and chrysler doing it this year. It KILLED everyone who bought earlier. Cars depreciate from invoice minus all rebates during the end of the model year. Another # to look at is how much/yr did it cost you to own your car? My p5 was 17K. I've had it 3yrs and it's worth 9K. Divide the difference by the #'s of years and the number is 2666/yr. Most people in larger cars have a figure of roughly 5K/yr (if they're lucky). Which isn't bad at all. Most people say "Kelley Blue Book was higher." Really? No s***? Who cares? No one uses kbb. No dealers or banks that I know of use it. Dealers us Black Book and some banks use either Black Book or NADA. The key to buying a car is RESEARCH. There are 2 different values to a car. Actual Cash Value (trade-in) and Sentimental Value. Of course, we all think our cars are worth MUCH more than they actually are. We bought them because we think they're the best thing on the road and yadda yadda yadda. They're nothing but steel. Transportation. Nothing more. I gave a guy with a '01 chevrolet silverado LS with 106K $8500 for his truck yesterday. A 31K truck is now worth 8500. I didn't steal anything from him, that's the ACV of his truck. When people realize that their car is just a machine and nothing more, it will make my job a lot easier. I've heard people say that they're car was worth more because they owed more. So, if you don't owe anything is your car worth nothing? Of course not.

Just because you see a used p5 on a lot for $12K doesn't mean it'll sell for 12K. Hell, even if the person is willing to sign up at 12K + tax, the bank probably won't give them the advance. They're marked up so the buyer can negotiate. People get off on negotiating for some reason.

Another thing to remember. Your car isn't worth "excellent" condition. Most cars (unless they're VERY low miles) are considered average (or good) up to 80K. Then they go to rough. It has nothing to do with how many times you've changed the oil or how clean it is...it's just a fact of life. If you want to get close, do the KBB thing and rate your vehicle as "good." Keep in mind your brakes (if they're bad, deduct around $200), tires ($400), windsheild ($250), etc. All this s*** is taken into consideration when a dealer puts a # on your car.

Well, that's my little rant for the afternoon. Hope that helps!

Very good information everyone, I'm glad I can get facts from people who have recently dealt with buying a car and those who actually work at a dealership.

I try to be as understanding when dealing with the sales people. You catch more bees with honey...etc. I just want a fair deal. I don't expect to get 1000s for my car if it's not worth it, and I completely understand the concept of negotiating room when they turn around and list my car for 12,000. They'll probably get 10,500 from the next guy. That still means they'd get at least 1,000K if they gave me what I want for it. This is all speculation however.

In other news I just got an offer for 9,000.

Last edited:
9k is much more attractive...

but yeah if I do a dealer trade, I like to shoot for the final number, too.

Typically I try to sell the car privately first to see if I can get the most out of it, though!

MP5s Make Ready said:
In other news I just got an offer for 9,000.

9K is a good amount. I looked at trading my '02 P5 a couple of months ago (40K mi, 5speed, sunroof). I was offered 7500 for it (Nissan dealer). I wanted at least 10K for it. I was shocked and offended and said thanks but no thanks and walked out. I think now if I was offered 8.5 to 9K I think I would take it. Not what I would've wanted but remember it's the final price/deal that counts. Now that gas is bordering on a gazillion dollars a gallon, I think I'll be keeping the car a little longer.

9k is much more attractive...

but yeah if I do a dealer trade, I like to shoot for the final number, too.

Typically I try to sell the car privately first to see if I can get the most out of it, though!

I hear what you're saying about privately selling it. However most states give you a break on taxes on the new car if you trade in an old car, plus this is the only car I have. Translates to: Too expensive for me to pay for two cars while I try to sell the one.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I have taken my 02 MP5 to 2 different places. it has 76K miles on it 5speed and nothin wrong with it. All I'm getting told is trade in I'd get 5.5K I think that's BS.....

Trading these cars in is definitely not the way to go. Getting 5-8k for our cars is piss poor chump change for the ******* birds. I haven't decided what vehicle I'll get next, but I do know this- I ain't tradin' it in. I will sell it to a private buyer to get my money's worth.

yeah...if you're not in a hurry & can wait it out, a private sale is always going yo net you more $

hawaiian_msp said:
I was given a little over $13000 for a trade-in a few days ago for my speed...
You got lucky I only got $11,500 for my speed.

I have been offered $8500 tops for my 5 speed silver p5 with 50K and cloth, no moonroof. Too bad I owe 2K more than that. Parting iit out to stock, will try private party..maybe, but since I owe, easier to trade it in and be done.

well for me I'm going back to carmax and see if they will do the 5.5K again for it and get an 01 GTI for maybe around the same payment.

5.5k for a trade is is crap. KBB says 8K is the best for my mileage and 5.8 is the lowest....... I went to a place that told me I'd be able to private sell mine for 6.5K-7 MAX I laughted my ars off because they had an 03 with the same miles on their lot for 12K...... They got a nice little e-mail when I got home and saw that......

I just did an Auto Trader search for all 2002 and 2003 Mazda Protege5's.

The search parameters were for within 300 miles of Bakersfield, California, which includes most of California and Las Vegas. Probably the best used car market in America (temperate weather, no salted roads, many cars to choose from).

Any price.

53 P5's total. Average price = $12,005. High was 16,995, low was 5,999.

FYI.

lucky. LOL I'm getting 5.5K from carmax. Oh well I should be in a VW GTI Tonight. so goodbye fellow MP5 Owners. anyone wanna buy my turbo? lol

MP5s Make Ready said:
So I was checking out the new cars on the Mazda lot the other day. Sales guy comes walkin up checkin to see if I'd be interested in trading in my Protege 5 for a Mazda 3. Long story short dude tells me they'd give 7,000 as trade in towards the new car.

I told him he was crazy, that KBB has it rated at 10,000 and edmunds.com has it at 9,500. I told him he'd have to give me at least 9,000 for me to consider it. So he goes back to the used car manager office, comes back, and tells me 7,000 is what it's worth.

I then promptly turned around and left, I'm not letting it go for that little so they can turn around and sell it for 12,000. My car is loaded, low mileage (38000) that looks the same as it did the day it drove off the assembly line.

Please tell me this guy was nuts. What prices have you guys been getting?

I was offered 10.5 for my '03 w/ 45k miles on it. Might just be my area but hey I wasn't about to argue with the guy.:)

Edit: I was a private sell though, I don't think any dealer would give that much for my P5.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back