Project: Quiet v2

Tom03es

Mile High Zoom-Zoom
Contributor
:
2003 Protege ES
While I don't have any real plans for a stereo, I would like to add some sound deadening to quiet the interior. I know there are a lot of people who are like: "I like the engine sounds" "Zoom, Zoom, VROOM!" bla, bla bla..... I have power windows, if I want to hear the engine, I'll open them. I'd like to drive this car for probably at least another 100,000-120,000 miles seeing how there is nothing majorly wrong with it (and it'll be paid off soon!).

OBX 4-1 header + SLS catted mid-pipe + Racing Beat exhaust = loudness

From my not so conservative measurements of the area I'd like to focus on (the floor plan- including the trunk and the doors) I have come up with needing to cover approximately 68 sq ft of metal.

What do I need and how much is too much?

Ensolite- a closed cell foam pad from www.raamaudio.com. $11.96 per linear

eDead v3- a paint on sound deadener. $50 for a gallon can

eDead 120- a butyl mat 115-120 mils thick. $3.50 sq ft

eDead 80- a butyl mat 80-85 mils thick. $2 sq ft.

Is the eDead 120 AND the Ensolite AND the eDead v3 too much? Should I go with the eDead 80 AND the Ensolite AND the eDead v3 instead? Or is even all of that too much?

Opinions?

I'm not looking for luxury car quietness, but I would like to have several years worth of much reduced loudness.

I used a can and a half of edead v3 on my integra. I got 2 gallons shipped for $80 a few years ago. I willt tell you that the difference in volume was not drastic, but it did change the tone and stop rattling. For instance, I had a VERY loud exhaust and volume was cut down inside the cabin a bit. More noticeable was that the tone of the exhaust was much more mellow with the windows up, and now there was actually a difference between windows up and windows down ;) All rattles and creaking sounds completely stopped. Wind noise was also cut a bit.

The paint on was so much easier to do the door pannels. I will never use rammat again on doors!!!! I used 2-3 full coats on the entire car except the roof and firewall. Like I said it made a difference, but that Teg was not easy to put back together once I lost tabs and bolts and forgot what went where, but that was my bad. If I was going to do it again, I would rammat most of the bottom of the car and probably the entire trunk. Then I would do the entire vehicle with edead v3, even over top of the rammat.

Either way, on the cheap, the edead v3 can't be beat!

Pretty sure I posted these before but couldn't find
edead1.jpg

CopyofDSCN1098.jpg

Last edited:
Is the eDead 120 AND the Ensolite AND the eDead v3 too much? Should I go with the eDead 80 AND the Ensolite AND the eDead v3 instead? Or is even all of that too much?

It's not that it's too much, it's that it's a poor choice of product all together.

Please spend some time searching over at diymobileaudio.com to learn the basics of noise containment in a vehicle. There are several problems with both of the products you listed and you need to know about them before hand.

And just fyi, we have nearly an identical engine set up (see sig) and if I went about my car the way you are intending to do yours, I would be severely disappointed in the results.

Mostly Elemental is a f'd up company run by a severe douchebag. If you want to kill noise cheaply, use synthetic carpet pading, and ALOT of it. Focus on your wheelwells, but really, them loud buzzy exhausts are loud and buzzy. I eventually caved in and put a real muffler back on. Call me old,

I'd say pass on the jute. I tore mine out and replaced it with a heavy decoupled barrier and it's at least 3x more effective..........as it should be as it's 3x the mass or more.

If you want to block road noise, you need mass. There is NO way around this. None! Sorry.

Back