Problems refuelling and fuel leak

isbre

Contributor
:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Proteg
Hi

Lately I have had problems filling the gas tank on my MSP. I get like 1/10 of a gallon in the tank and the pump stops. Somtimes I can also see gas coming out from the breather hole when the pump stops too.

Yesterday I also noticed a fuel leak when I filled up the tank, not very much but it was still there. It came from here:
MSP%20Fuel%20Leak.jpg

(Sorry for the phone pic - and I know that it's time to clean some under there, but the Dinitrol doesn't make it easy)

It doesn't seem to leak in any other situation than when refuelling.
I don't know if it comes from this thing whatever it is or if it followed the hose down from somewhere else. Anyone even know what this thing is and can this be the cause for my troubles?

Wow its funny to find someone finally have the same problem as me!

I had this same problem last year and havent found anone else in my boat. ANYWAY -

sounds like you have a bad charcoal canister. When people fill their cars and go past the auto shutoff, overflow can run into this canister and it then becomes saturated with gas.

You want to check this first (its really simple). The charcoal canister is separate from the fuel tank and its right under the spare tire well underneath the car (in your pic, bottom right hidden behind that plastic cover). nothing to removing it (a few screws and clamps on the fuel lines), just be careful (it IS gas). Once its out check to see if there is any fuel in it. It shouldnt take much to tell, itll be heavy and if soaked enough itll pour right out or slosh around.

If it is saturated youll have to replace it... it was about $130 new @ dealership for mine last year so you shouldnt have trouble.

IN THE MEANTIME: it wont hurt your car, may just give you a CEL (emissions code). As for filling the tank, heres a trick I learned when mine gve me the trouble - turn the fuel nozzle upside down when filling the tank. Should do the trick and let you fill the tank without a problem.

I wouldnt stress about the fuel leak (but look while youre taking out the charcoal canister) most likely its from the overflow, most cars will drain gas away from the body of the car if its overfilled so you dont ruin the paint. Im guessing this may be what it is.

So, it's odd that I come across this thread. I actually just had this problem with my wife's Focus (minus the fuel leak). The charcoal canister sounds like the right direction to go, but I'll just share my experience FWIW. When you fill up the tank, there's a hose that vents the accumulated air out of the tank. In my wife's car, this opening was blocked by a spider's nest. Apparently it's not all that uncommon. I would follow the hoses coming off your fuel tank and charcoal canister, find the end of this hose and check for obstructions. Good luck!

Hi

Thanks fro the tips here, I'll take out that plastic cover and check the charcoal canister. Do you by any chance have the part number for that one? (it might be the same for the EDM 323's)

Do you also maybe know what the leaking part in the picture is?

5416580.gif

I think its the part # 22 , the one that your asking for which is the check valve.
I'm not sure if that would be the main cause of the problem or the spill, you'll have to see it while it happens bc it might be that it leaks else where but it runs down to that part and misleads you into thinking that the valve is leaking instead or if you have CEL then have to get the code to see what comes up.

Last edited:
I think its the part # 22 , the one that your asking for which is the check valve.
I'm not sure if that would be the main cause of the problem or the spill, you'll have to see it while it happens bc it might be that it leaks else where but it runs down to that part and misleads you into thinking that the valve is leaking instead or if you have CEL then have to get the code to see what comes up.

Even with this problem and a faulty turbo inlet gasket my car is CEL free, so there is no code to be read to help me diagnose the fault.
I sent you the last 10 digits in my VIN to you in a PM, if they have the part at the dealer it would be great if you could get it for me.

I have yet to take my car to the dealer to get inspected but I got a check engine light code for P0455(which is suppose to be a big leak on the emission system) and I notice before the light came on that when my car is on while pumping gas that the pump stops every 5-seconds, could it be that my charcol canisterl is the problem? or is it normal for it to happen when the car is running and pumping gas..

Maybe you need a new check valve on the purge solenoid?

I'm going to start there, just need to get the part. Do you by any chance have the part number??

I have yet to take my car to the dealer to get inspected but I got a check engine light code for P0455(which is suppose to be a big leak on the emission system) and I notice before the light came on that when my car is on while pumping gas that the pump stops every 5-seconds, could it be that my charcol canisterl is the problem? or is it normal for it to happen when the car is running and pumping gas..

Don't think that's normal. My car started that way half a year ago (I just didn't think much of it at the time.)

Back