Prison sentence for street racers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerXGirl

Contributor
:
2003 Black Mica MazdaSpeed Protege
I remember when this happened...if I recall correctly, the lady who was killed also had her grandchild in the car with her and the grandchild wasn't seriously injured.

Two street racers get prison time for deaths

By LATEEF MUNGIN
The Atlanta Journal Constitution

Published on: 11/02/06

Two women were sentenced to prison Thursday for a teenage race on a busy Norcross highway that resulted in the deaths of two people in 2003.

Wendy Jennings, now 20, and Susan Osley, also 20, pleaded guilty in Gwinnett Superior Court to vehicular homicide in the March 2003 deaths of Julia Burns, 61, and Jacob Miller, 17, on Peachtree Parkway.

Jennings was sentenced to five years in prison and 10 on probation for the incident, which involved a 90 miles-an-hour dash down the parkway.

Osley, who attended Greater Atlanta Christian at the time, was sentenced to four years in prison and 11 years' probation.

Jennings and Osley got into an impromptu race between their BMWs that ended when Jennings flipped her car and it landed in the path of a car driven by Julia Burns, said Gwinnett District Attorney Danny Porter.

Miller, Jennings' boyfriend at the time, was a passenger in her car.

Porter said he asked for more prison time for Jennings because she initiated the race.

The case was unusual in that Jennings' father, James Christopher Jennings,was indicted for allegedly allowing his daughter to drive an unsafe car. Porter said Thursday that case is still pending. The indictment said Jennings knew the BMW had worn brakes and tires, but still permitted his daughter to drive it.

During Thursday's hearing, presided over by Judge Richard Winegarden, several of Burns family members spoke.

"I am sad and angry," said Jason Berman, Julia Burns' son. "Not only is my family upset but I believe my mother is upset."

Burns' brother Frank Burns said "the senseless killing has left us devastated. Wendy Jennings and Susan Osley, children from priviliged families, made a deliberate choice that caused the end of (Burns) life."

Burns was returning to her Duluth home from a Florida vacation when she was killed.

Jennings, who lived in Norcross, spoke briefly during the hearing. She said she was so injured in the crash that she did not remember it.

"Even though I do not remember it I accept full responsibility," Jennings said.

....so how do you flip a car going in a straight line stuff like this still baffles me

I do remember that they said the tires were balding, there were issues with the brakes, excessive speed...I don't remember if the girl hit the median and that's what flipped the car or what...

I'm just dumbfounded. Just plain dumbfounded.

Who buys bimmers for their teenage kids anyways. Don't people believe in teching kids the value of a dollar these days? Maybe if they had some stake in their cars, they would maintain them better and not take stupid, life ending chances with them.

Last edited:
My old boss was 2 cars back from the woman that was killed. The other little rich b**** tried to run, but eventually stopped down the road. they got what they deserved if you ask me. They were driving way over they're heads. Btw Korey, the grassy median has a dip there, she became airborne and landed in the lady's car.

They only got five years? They should have received a harsher sentence. Street racers are scum, as are those who admire them.

Common sense is apparently in short supply.

BadKarma said:
They only got five years? They should have received a harsher sentence. Street racers are scum, as are those who admire them.

Common sense is apparently in short supply.

This is not the first time a teenager in Gwinnett county has gotten off easy on a motor vehicle homicide. If you gonna kill someone with a car as a teen, Atlanta is the place to do it... :rolleyes:

Wendy used to live down the street from me, never really knew her but still the whole case is messed up. After she got out of prison her parents flew her out west and wouldnt tell anybody where she was so that she would stay out of prison. Also they lost control coming around the corner on Peachtree parkway headed south right after the chatahooche. There is a slight curve in the road there so thats probably why she lost control.

And yea gwinnett county is really lenient towards kids that live in my area of town. Probably because of the rediculous amount of money flowing around.

Donas64 said:
I'm just dumbfounded. Just plain dumbfounded.

Who buys bimmers for their teenage kids anyways. Don't people believe in teching kids the value of a dollar these days? Maybe if they had some stake in their cars, they would maintain them better and not take stupid, life ending chances with them.

i see it all the time in alpharetta, i mean IMO, its okay if its an older one, that doesnt cost 40k

and get this
so the other day, i was leaving school, and i saw a girl driving a PORSCHE, it definitely wasnt a mom, looked way too young, i was just dumbfounded by it, i dont care if its their parent's car or not, its a high end fast sport car

seriously, and i see kids at school driving new bimmers and lexus's all the time, it doesnt get me jealous, just gets me kinda upset that they just you know, get that, and dont need to pay anything for it, but, oh well

wmbeaver said:
i see it all the time in alpharetta, i mean IMO, its okay if its an older one, that doesnt cost 40k

and get this
so the other day, i was leaving school, and i saw a girl driving a PORSCHE, it definitely wasnt a mom, looked way too young, i was just dumbfounded by it, i dont care if its their parent's car or not, its a high end fast sport car

seriously, and i see kids at school driving new bimmers and lexus's all the time, it doesnt get me jealous, just gets me kinda upset that they just you know, get that, and dont need to pay anything for it, but, oh well

Yeah really. It's not a matter of jealousy. It's a matter of instilling basic good values. I went to high school in atlanta and I saw the kids with the awesome cars when I had nothing but a bike to my name. They depended on mom and dad for everything and just coasted by. 6 years later they are still living with mom and dad. While I'm married, finished college and My wife and I are homeowners through Gods grace and our hard work. Our parents thaught us the value of bucking down and paying your own way and while they supported us financially, they let us know that we were eventually gunna have to stand on our own 2 feet.

My first car was a 1996 Infiniti G20 I got my senior year of college that my dad bought for $2500 dollars for me at an auction (I was not allowed to have a job off compus as an international student). He's a diplomat and could have bought me someething much nicer. It had 130K miles on it. He said if he ever came to see me and the car was dirty or I was not maintaining it right, he would confiscate the car from me and I would never see it again. I treated that beat up old G20 like it was an 07 Lexus. And when I finally was standing on my own two feet and bought my P5 for myself, I gave the G20 to my sister who was going through college herself. She finally traded it in when she started making her own money and bought a Yaris.

Parents need to bring their kids up right or sad things like this happen. It's a shame really.

Donas64 said:
Yeah really. It's not a matter of jealousy. It's a matter of instilling basic good values. I went to high school in atlanta and I saw the kids with the awesome cars when I had nothing but a bike to my name. They depended on mom and dad for everything and just coasted by. 6 years later they are still living with mom and dad. While I'm married, finished college and My wife and I are homeowners through Gods grace and our hard work. Our parents thaught us the value of bucking down and paying your own way and while they supported us financially, they let us know that we were eventually gunna have to stand on our own 2 feet.

My first car was a 1996 Infiniti G20 I got my senior year of college that my dad bought for $2500 dollars for me at an auction (I was not allowed to have a job off compus as an international student). He's a diplomat and could have bought me someething much nicer. It had 130K miles on it. He said if he ever came to see me and the car was dirty or I was not maintaining it right, he would confiscate the car from me and I would never see it again. I treated that beat up old G20 like it was an 07 Lexus. And when I finally was standing on my own two feet and bought my P5 for myself, I gave the G20 to my sister who was going through college herself. She finally traded it in when she started making her own money and bought a Yaris.

Parents need to bring their kids up right or sad things like this happen. It's a shame really.

yea, now my mom bought the p5 for me, but i still need to pay for half of it, a

basically, i had a say in which car we would get, we were wanting a hatch-type anyways, so i figured a p5 would be good, because me mom didnt wnat anything with more than 65k mile son it, or older than 02, so it was kinda limited considering she only wanted to spend arond 12k

but anyways, so i found this p5, and she is still driving it for a year, so we share the car, and i still have to pay her 6k, which is half of what we bought it for, which i think is fair

Donas64 said:

The sad part is that a lot of folks think it's ok to do what you want. Entitlement. F the responsibility portion of life.
With excessive money and selfishness comes poor values (there are also idiot poor folks as well). People spend more money on their dog at "pet Friendly" hotels. The dog eats steak while a hard working grunt can only afford Wendy's $1 menu.
Girls with closets the size of a master bedroom. Clothes are outgrown before they get worn twice.
A stupid little show called "Sweet 16" I think. Kids throwing fits if their parents don't spend over $150k on a party for them, at 16?!! And the parents say *in retarded voice* "OK"
The girls deserve time for vehicular homicide. They did not concern themselves with the dangers involved or, fun simply outweighed them.

I would be devestated if I caused a death by racing on the street. I would also take full responsibility. That would be a horrible lesson to teach my daughter.

CorkSport said:
The sad part is that a lot of folks think it's ok to do what you want. Entitlement. F the responsibility portion of life.
With excessive money and selfishness comes poor values (there are also idiot poor folks as well). People spend more money on their dog at "pet Friendly" hotels. The dog eats steak while a hard working grunt can only afford Wendy's $1 menu.
Girls with closets the size of a master bedroom. Clothes are outgrown before they get worn twice.
A stupid little show called "Sweet 16" I think. Kids throwing fits if their parents don't spend over $150k on a party for them, at 16?!! And the parents say *in retarded voice* "OK"
The girls deserve time for vehicular homicide. They did not concern themselves with the dangers involved or, fun simply outweighed them.

I would be devestated if I caused a death by racing on the street. I would also take full responsibility. That would be a horrible lesson to teach my daughter.

yea, when i got home, i watched a little bit of that sweet16 show
and some girl was all excited when her dad bought her a brand new 3-series BMW, and she was all excited when she saw it, and then she just ignored it and went back to her party, which was at a large nightclub btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back