power loss/loud sucking noise... help???

:
2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege
So i was driving to Vegas this past weekend, pulled off in a rest stop and when i got back on the road my car felt like it had lost half its power and on top of that is making an extremely loud sucking noise (about 10X louder than its been since putting the Perrin SRI on). My idle is horrible and even stalled twice coming to a stop when i had the clutch pushed in. I took it to a shop, replaced the burnt out O2 sensor and noticed then they noticed that there was a few missing screws from the exhaust mani, so they put some new ones in and sent me on my way. i was happy i'd have my car back to normal, but nope same sucking noise, same power loss, same bad idle. I would have taken it right back to the shop but they were getting ready to close up for the day and i dont think they have any clue why its happening either. So if anyone here might have an idea or has had a similar problem, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

check the return from the intercooler to the intake manifold. mine was loose after the accident and it was doing the same s***. tighten the hose clamp up and you should be good.......unless its something else.

yeah thats what it sounds like mine did the same thing when i was going to work one day well it broke the plastic intercooler pipe that connects to the BOV

no that wasnt it... i just checked out the hose and the hose recirculating to the intake and everything s fine. tightened it all up for good measure but still have the same problem...

I have a similar problem to that which seems very odd, I get a sucking noise as if I had a loose pipe but sound almost like its coming from under the car and is dependent on my throttle position and RPM, but if the car is in neutral it doesn't happen.

I keep thinking vacuum leak but it doesn't make sense that it doesn't happen in neutral

Ok so after a few days of not being able to locate the problem i brought it into a shop i was referred to. They checked out the cel and it was running really lean. They checked all the lines and nothing was leaking so now they believe its an issue with the turbo since the only time it does it is under medium to heavy throttle and only while driving. Now i have t try and find a reputable shop that will work on turbo's out here and dont know any at all. does anyone know any good shops in the San Diego area? well if anyone else has any ideas on what xould be wrong with the turbo or whatever please give me some input... thanks

just another possibility, but i believe (if im not mistaken) the maf sensor plays a big role as far as a/f ratio idle and lean/rich conditions, alot of the signals could somehow be disrupted especially if you have an aftermarket intake (higher amt. of airflow), if its a cold air intake your filter cone shouldn't be visible from the engine bay, its possible that your filter could have fallen off, which would account for horribly inaccurate maf sensor readings and the exceptionally louder whine from the compressor wheel, seeing as how its a long trip (im guessing) and the fact that it happened so quickly, with no other problems as an early indicator, that would be my best guess, and possibly a quick fix, however i could be wrong. good luck on figuring it out...that accounts for a couple of problems if im accurate if i conjure up any other possibilities i will try to help you out as best as i can!

Dude..I would really Check ALL PIPING CONNECTIONs before going any further.
What do you have done as far as piping?
Is it a sucking Intake noise or an ushing air exhaust noise you have now?
Something is going on..and it really does not sound Turbo related directly.
It sounds like a pipe is loose or cracked somewhere...OR..You BPV has failed and is stuckk open all of the time.
You need to do some serious checking yourself before you waste a lot of money letting people "Fix" this.

Dude..I would really Check ALL PIPING CONNECTIONs before going any further.
What do you have done as far as piping?
Is it a sucking Intake noise or an ushing air exhaust noise you have now?
Something is going on..and it really does not sound Turbo related directly.
It sounds like a pipe is loose or cracked somewhere...OR..You BPV has failed and is stuckk open all of the time.
You need to do some serious checking yourself before you waste a lot of money letting people "Fix" this.

All the piping is stock except for the Perrin SRI.
I am pretty sure that it is a sucking intake noise because it is louder on the drivers side and sounds like it is coming from right where the intake/BPV are. I have checked all the connections to the piping and inspected most of the pipes and found no cracks or anything.
The BPV failing does sound like that could be the case, how would i check for that? i would really like to get this fixed myself rather than wasting more money trying to find out the problem.

Is the nipples for the BPV secure..they are known to crack and break off.
I think you need to pressure check all of you intake piping.
Thats where I would start.

ok so just got done checking more pipes and the turbo mani. no crack/leaks that i was able to tell. i took the return hose off the BPV and while driving seemed to be A LOT more power, esp in 1st, couldnt keep traction while under boost at wot, second gear seemed quicker too until my car bucked really bad (seemed almost as if i hit the brakes while accelerating. threw me forward in my seat) then when i parked i held the throttle in and could feel air coming out of the BPV while holding at about 4,000 rpms. is this normal? i thought that NO air was suposed to escape while under any acceleration at all. could this be the problem? or should i keep looking? im not sure how i would go about pressure checking all my pipes. dont really have many tools other than the basics that are around the house. thanks for all the help so far though, hopefully one of you will eventually be able to assist in fixing this damn problem.

did you posibly take the bpv off and put it on backwards dont know if that would effect anything but worth a try

ok so just got done checking more pipes and the turbo mani. no crack/leaks that i was able to tell. i took the return hose off the BPV and while driving seemed to be A LOT more power, esp in 1st, couldnt keep traction while under boost at wot, second gear seemed quicker too until my car bucked really bad (seemed almost as if i hit the brakes while accelerating. threw me forward in my seat) then when i parked i held the throttle in and could feel air coming out of the BPV while holding at about 4,000 rpms. is this normal? i thought that NO air was suposed to escape while under any acceleration at all. could this be the problem? or should i keep looking? im not sure how i would go about pressure checking all my pipes. dont really have many tools other than the basics that are around the house. thanks for all the help so far though, hopefully one of you will eventually be able to assist in fixing this damn problem.

no... didnt take it completely off, just took the return hose off... i've googled everything i can think of and havent found anything. rechecked all lines, turbo mani today and re tightened all the things i retightened the other day and it didnt do anything. im really at a loss with this one and no one i've talked to can seem to figure it out either. was hoping someone on here had a similar problem and could tell me what it was that they had to do to fix the problem. Thanx for the inputs though

Just to help you out. You are not to have air coming out of your Blow Off Valve while the engine is incressing in RPM. The BOV only opens inbetween shifts or when it sees vacum from the throttle body being closed. Sounds like your BOV is stuck open. I live in Las Vegas and if you need help or a stock BOV I have one. Just PM me.

yeah i wasnt sure about the BPV being open. I had a friend tell me that since the car wasnt in gear, therefor not under any boost that it should be open some until the boost builds up and the vac closes the valve. Im not in Vegas anymore, just went there for the weekend but i appreciate the offer. Still trying to figure this out, but if it is the BPV what would be a good way to test that other than putting another one on there?

Back