Power liftgate

I wonder why anyone would want power lift for trunk? I had it and after few iterations found it extremely useless. Here's why: I can open and close my trunk 10 to 15 times faster than the system. Usually, I need to put something in quickly and move out or take something out, quickly. The only possible justification I saw is when there's that foot underneath and the sensor triggers a trunk release when my own hands are full of stuff. Whether I'd spend $300+ on just because of that which happens once a quarter (hands full) I can't truly justify.
The next issue I found is when my trunk's full. The lift gate when closing even if it finds a little obstruction swings right back. My problem is I realized it only AFTER I started moving. Whereas with manual, I can bang the darn this close.

Trust me - the novelty quickly wears out!

Since SavageGeese reviews was mentioned in the other thread, might as well mention my favorite part: (yippy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0tf4t9qnVc&feature=youtu.be&t=132
That's a nice review for a 2016 CX-5. But I've to cut it short when this savagegeese guy started praising the efficiency of CX-5's AWD system and saying it's so efficient that it only sacrifices 2 to 3 miles instead of 10! What?! Is this guy hired by Mazda?! The fact is CX-5 is the most inefficient AWD system in all SUVs as far as fuel economy goes. While CX-5 AWD has 2~3 mpg of penalty than FWD on EPA ratings, others suffer only 0~1, not 10!

I personally don't feel the need of a power liftgate. I still want a stick shift if there's one on 2.5L CX-5! But I can see the trend of having it by every other compact CUVs. It's like power sliding doors on the minivan, eventually you just have to have it to please the consumers. But power liftgate usually is a stand-alone optional equipment, and you don't have to have it if you don't like it.

My friends Subaru has one, he activates the door and gets in the middle seat to pull his stuff towards him because the auto system even with slightest of excess cargo will not close. Had my first realization of the cargo space when we took a 50 lb international bag and put it in the truck - that thing covered the whole length but that bag is huge and tall. So far the tradeoff (less 5 cu ft. cargo) with the driving dynamics is a great thing.

I wonder why anyone would want power lift for trunk? I had it and after few iterations found it extremely useless. Here's why: I can open and close my trunk 10 to 15 times faster than the system. Usually, I need to put something in quickly and move out or take something out, quickly. The only possible justification I saw is when there's that foot underneath and the sensor triggers a trunk release when my own hands are full of stuff. Whether I'd spend $300+ on just because of that which happens once a quarter (hands full) I can't truly justify.
The next issue I found is when my trunk's full. The lift gate when closing even if it finds a little obstruction swings right back. My problem is I realized it only AFTER I started moving. Whereas with manual, I can bang the darn this close.

Trust me - the novelty quickly wears out!

My wife is 5'1" and has had both shoulders total joint replacement. She has difficulty raising her arms much above her head and has little strength to pull a hatch down when she can reach it. I don't think a power liftgate is a must, but it would be nice as an option.

My wife is 5'1" and has had both shoulders total joint replacement. She has difficulty raising her arms much above her head and has little strength to pull a hatch down when she can reach it. I don't think a power liftgate is a must, but it would be nice as an option.

I wonder if this can be added on by third party.

Back