Power lift gate don't work properly

LexustoMazda

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 GT Awd
Hey folks.

Yesterday after taking my 08 CX-9 GT to a detail shop, apparently my rear power lift gate won't work properly. I could open it using the button on the dash and my remote control, but when i want to close it using the small button on the trunk, it doesn't work, just emitted beep sound but the trunk won't close. Maybe the sensor or BCM in this car gone bad after the detail. So, i have to close the rear trunk manually. This car has 48K miles on the go, so i supposed it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Is there a cheap fix for this problem or should i take this car to the stealership to find out whats going on?

Hope to see your reply.

Sounds like the detail shop knocked something. You won't really know until you get it looked at. You always have the option of not fixing it if it's expensive. Who knows though it maybe an easy fix. Whe. Do you get your next oil change? Any chance of having the detail shop foot the bill if it is expensive?

Last edited:
You may ask Ceric to look in his workshop manual to see where the gate motor relay is located....perhaps the relay is bad... or the motor($$$$$$$$$$) is bad.

I don't think the detail shop will admit their fault even if they did, simply no proof at all. Maybe i'll take it to the dealership to hear what they said.

Hey folks.
... when i want to close it using the small button on the trunk, it doesn't work, just emitted beep sound but the trunk won't close.

According to that, it seems to be that the hatch motor is encountering resistance (or it seems so to the motor).
There are two kind of sensors to tell the hatch motor to stop:
1) torque sensing (such as encountering objects blocking the closing)
2) pressure strips on the side of the hatch - more like elevators'.
I don't think it is the relay since you could open it, nor the motor.
Check (2) first since they are visible - inspect for any damage caused by the detail shop.

There is definitely no encountering objects that blocks the closing of the lift gate. I'll check it out tomorrow to see about the strips. If there is a damage, is it gonna be an easy or cheap fix? or i would looking to spend lot of bucks here?

I recently had this problem with my 2008 GT. It turned out to be some of the insulation batting behind the cover had gotten caught in the worm gear that pulls the rod that closes the hatch. This was putting additional resistance on the motor so the sensor stopped the motor. The dealer removed the wad of insulation that was caught in there and it's worked fine since then. They did this at no cost even though I had around 45k miles at the time and it was out of warranty.

According to that, it seems to be that the hatch motor is encountering resistance (or it seems so to the motor).
There are two kind of sensors to tell the hatch motor to stop:
1) torque sensing (such as encountering objects blocking the closing)
2) pressure strips on the side of the hatch - more like elevators'.
I don't think it is the relay since you could open it, nor the motor.
Check (2) first since they are visible - inspect for any damage caused by the detail shop.

Hey ceric, i have no idea what pressure strips are. Could you give me a picture of it so i could take a look on my CX-9?

Can the lift go down when you push the button on the interior? Just to eliminate it being a motor or sensor issue.

Back