power draw! dead battery

7zimmer7

:
MazdaSpeed 6 GT
need sum help.. i live in MN and it's my first winter with the protege and she has only seen a few days of dry roads with no salt. But if i leave the car sit a couple days without starting and letting run, the battery will die. I have taken the fuse out of the power line to the amp and that hasn't helped. I have also checked for any interior lights (trunk), and nothing is on.. Duno what's draining it! any tips?

ah, ok then... If it was a stock battery i'd say it was time to change it.

Have an autozone in your area to test the alternator?

I agree, check your alt at autozone or another automotive store. Redtops should last you more than a year

the only way i know how to find a non-obvious drain is to hook up a dvom in line (amperage setting) and check for a draw with the car off and sitting, doors closed and whatnot and then see if you have a draw, opening doors or turning on lights will cause an improper reading.
sitting still you should have something like less than 70mA but it changes for every car.
if you have a draw pull fuses till it drops down and then you know it something on that fuse line.

Last edited:
pretty sure it's not the alternator, because when i start the car the battery will charge well. MSP starts fine when i drive it everyday. but it's just when i leave it sit unattended for a couple days. also the battery terminals are corroding after a week or 2. I keep cleaning them but it keeps coming back. will give it a test tho!!

It's my first winter up in NY and I'm having the exact same problem...I let it sit for more than a couple of days and it's dead. Is this a common problem?

I'm a Technician that just moved home to FL from NY after 5yrs. Assuming you don't have a eardrum busting soundsystem. Chances are its a door/trunk switch. Electronics+salt+snow=corrosion=parasitic draw=unhappy batteries. Just my 2 cents.

Have the battery load tested before you go any further. That should be step one in my opinion whether the battery is one day old or 4 years. Next step would be to follow peajays advice using a dvom (or testlight) in series with the ground cable to see if there is any dark current. Could be a number of things, but start with a good battery check.

Use fudgies first bit of advice. If your bat. is good then search google for parasitic draw. Read and understand then go to wal-mart and buy a dvom. Start probing away. Don't overthink what you are doing...it is as simple or complicated as you want it to be. If your car is still under warranty disregard the above and take it to the dealer. If your totally clueless about fixing this go to a shop you trust.

well today i finally had time to get into the shop again. using a meter i did the test. i was running 5-6amp draw. so i went into experimenting. with the door open it was 7. and then i let it sit for a while to put it into sleep mode or w/e. then i started taking fuses out. turns out when i take the BTN fuse out it drops to 2a. i knew wut btn stood for but now i cant remember. i believe it was part of the security. b4 concluding on that i went down the fuse line and the IGN fuse dropped it also. pulling them both out sent me to 0a. so then i went down the line and into the car fuse box (which would be off the ign fuse). leaving both the BTN and IGN fuse in i pulled fuses in the cab and found that the ROOM fuse drop the load. haha.. but really. then i went into disconnecting the cd player. dropped it 1a. disconnected my streetglow module which dropped it 2. So i connected the cd player. left the streetglow module unplugged and i'm sitting at 3amp draw with the doors closed.. now its been and hour since i hooked the battery up again and when i tested it an hour ago it said 10.20volts and i just checked it and it said 10.18.. i will check it 2marro morning but i hope this will solve it.. otherwise what do i follow down the BTN fuse?? or is there more down the ROOM fuse?? i also disconnected the interior roof lights and the trunk light.. no change

Once you find the circuits that are drawing the most amps do a voltage drop test on whatever components run off of that fused circuit. Instead of unplugging your streetglow module to see the change in amps do this: set your dvom to 0.000 significant digits on the voltage setting and put one of your leads on the battery ground and the other on the streeglow module ground. If the circuit is good you should see 0.000 volts. It isn't uncommon to see a slight charge one the ground to the thousands but if your see any 0.01 or higher volts on the ground circuit you found the (or part of the) problem. You may find it easier to use alligator clips and stretched out paperclips to probe some of these circuits w/ your dvom. This is a really basic electrical circuit test but make sure your comfortable w/ this as well before performing it. I think I made a thread w/ a crazy story of me fixing a prob w/ this test....

ok i left the btn fuse and room fuse in. left the streetglow, added on 12v outlets, and cd player unplugged. i had a 3a draw. batter was dead next day. so i charged the battery last night and this morning i just left the negative cable off. now i strongly believe the btn fuse is whats draining the battery because if i take it out, leaving streetglow,12v,cdplayer plugged in, there is only a 2a draw. putting the btn fuse back in it jumps back to 5-6a.

can anyone tell me what i can probe that is run off the BTN fuse???

my first post.. amp was installed properly. thats actually my part time job since im in school i work for a car/home audio/video store installing.. so it's in right

i ddnt have time to get it checked out so i swapped it into my truck which i drive everyday and the it seems to be fine. holding charge fine and everything

Back