powder coating wheels....

Tzar177

Contributor
anyone ever do it? will it last the life of the wheel? does it withstand the weather elements good? thanks in advance....

I know Revs power caoted his Stock Racing Hart to Bronze/Gold.
As I saw it last time, it was still good....

yea it should last the life or the car. i would def. get a professional shop to do it thouhg. plus i would take forever to bake each wheel in your oven at home lol

SKY said:
I know Revs power caoted his Stock Racing Hart to Bronze/Gold.
As I saw it last time, it was still good....

Actually I didn't powdercoat them, I just used engine paint, still holds up well.

you do NOT cure powder in a cooking oven....bad news.

This is how rednecks die.... "hey yall, watch this".

the fumes given off during the outgas process is fatal and can contaminate your food. DONT CHEAP OUT.

i never said it was safe. I know better. I use 2 different heat sources...and independent oven for small or batch parts and a UV light rack for larger frames.

it makes me mad to see so many people think they can just buy some harbor freight s*** and make a living coating. It's like a doctor watching some homeless guy in an alley performing open heart surgery.

I used duplicolor wheel coating and painted mine black. I did them last summer and so far they havent chipped or flaked. It was cheaper too :)

Anon Y Mous said:
i never said it was safe. I know better. I use 2 different heat sources...and independent oven for small or batch parts and a UV light rack for larger frames.

it makes me mad to see so many people think they can just buy some harbor freight s*** and make a living coating. It's like a doctor watching some homeless guy in an alley performing open heart surgery.

But if I have an oven in my garage and the vent piped out of the window and the front door open with a fan on shouldn't that be enough ventilation?

What watt UV light do you use on the larger pieces?

yes! in that situation an old oven will work fine. The problem comes with the fact that people are too cheap to buy a thriftstore oven and use their kitchen ovens.. The fumes permiate into the linings and can soak into your food.

The UV racks I use range from 1500W to 2000W.

...i'm feeling dizzy. i followed the instructions you sent me...which stated "place the parts you are powdercoating in oven next to your dinner...don't worry...you'll be fine"

Back