Post Pics Of Your Mazda Protege

Yes. The smooth bend allows for better airflow than the sharp corner. Better airflow means better performance. The performance increase probably won't be very noticable, though.

This is my set-up:

25899_326453877217_647307217_3712278_1650705_n.jpg

I actually have a 60 degree bend on the throttle body instead of a 90 degree.

Yes. The smooth bend allows for better airflow than the sharp corner. Better airflow means better performance. The performance increase probably won't be very noticable, though.

This is my set-up:

25899_326453877217_647307217_3712278_1650705_n.jpg

and where did u get that that 60 degree! i want one but i in venezuela it is too difficult to find and expensive

I actually have a 60 degree bend on the throttle body instead of a 90 degree.

I got all the parts (except the filter) from my local Autozone. I don't know if you have one down there, but you can also get the parts from Spectre's website, www.spectreperformance.com.

Go to "Catalog" -> "By P/N or Category" -> "Air Intake Components (Modular)" -> "3" O.D. Chrome Intake Tubes".

It's the second item, part number 8668. These pieces are plastic, but you can get aluminum tubes also. If you have a shop near you that can weld aluminum (or if you can weld), I would say to get the 2.5" aluminum 60 degree bend and 22 degree bend and have them welded together to fit like your current set-up.

2.5" is closer to the size of the throttle body so there would be an even better increase in performance. Right now it looks like you have a 2.5" sensor -> 3" tubes -> 2.5" throttle body. The larger diameter tubes between the sensor and throttle body slow the air down. By keeping the intake at a constant diameter (2.5") the air will not slow down and will give an increase to torque and power.

It's just a thought, of course. I still have the 3" tubing on my car, but have the 2.5" pieces in the garage. I might have them welded up this spring/summer, but not sure yet.

Haha, I said it wouldn't be noticable. But a smooth bend just plain looks nicer than a welded right angle. It's more of style over function, but thought I'd throw the info out there (not like we all don't already know that, but whatever). Plus, almost no one works on 2nd gens, and 2nd gens with a BP are quite uncommon. If he adds headers/exhaust and changes the intake to a longer cold air set-up, he could increase the torque just that much more. Or he can simply turbo the thing and make some real power, haha.

Wish I had a BP :(

well i gotta say i have header 4 2 1 and i the rest of the exhaust is 1.75" and i got a magnaflow muffler :) also i got a adjustable fuel pressure regulator i gotta say i feel a lot difference with the header you can feel it ,but im happy is a daily car

Having fun with my protege

SUP owners of proteges! 2nd gen i was thinking of painting my valve cover and i did and i think it is awesome let me know what you think guys there are some pictures!

Attachments

• IMG-20110422-00080.jpg
    IMG-20110422-00080.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 209
Nice paint job but the Flying M looks like an afterthought that was added with a sloppy rattle-can...

Nice paint job but the Flying M looks like an afterthought that was added with a sloppy rattle-can...

actually it was ,i was with a friend and thats a mazda 3 M and i thought why not something different! and i think the final product was good

Hey guys, newbie here with his first post. Joined the forum since I just bought a 97 protege LX few days ago for $1200. I actually got a lil confused since the guys advertised it as the ES model but on the car, i see SE on the sides. Then when I put the VIN for a car report, it gave me the dx/lx option to choose from. I think its a LX because I cant find any info about an SE trim in this year, maybe someone can clarify that for me? About the car, It's is in pretty good shape, was rustproofed on the underbody. Both wheel arches have rust forming but its not that bad. The car itself has 122K on the original engine and transmission. Has got A/C and the usual stuff. Car drove good, new brakes and new tires. I looked up the prices of how much the car should be going for and its around the $3k ball park. Initially I thought its salvage. When I went to see the car, It was confirmed that it was in an accident but by the looks and drivability of it, you could never tell. I could def see if it was in sort of a fender bender since the front bumper cover was not sitting perfectly aligned but that was the only visible imperfection. I looked at the struts and frame and it all looked good. Well I came home and did a car report and theres no mention of any accident lol. So i dunno, maybe the guys didnt know much about it. Well I wanna start meintenance on it, doubt its got a tune up yet so wanted to know, other than the belts and sparkplugs, what else should I change on it? I did have someone look at it before purchasing it. Basically the guy does safety and he did a quick checkup of if he was actually doing a safety, what parts would not pass. He brought to my attention, the outer tie rod on passenger side, link kit set, and driver side lower ball joint. Everything else should be good. So where do you guys get your parts for cheap? This is a beater and I wont be spending anymore $$$ than its basic meintenance. Sorry for the long intro but ill post pics soon.

Belts, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotors, air filter (if needed), oil change. www.rockauto.com has some good prices on parts. I got all my suspension bushings, end links and ball joints from rockauto and cost less than if I went to a parts store.

Also, welcome to the forums :)

Hi my name is Chris and I have a '92 Mazda Protege with the 1.8 DOHC, It has rust...a lot and I'm looking to find another one. Enjoy the pics=]

Attachments

• wahhh.jpg
    wahhh.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 267
  • stickersss.jpg
    stickersss.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 244
  • fartcan.jpg
    fartcan.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 268
she is a great driver, walks over civics. I'm lookin for another one just like this one and i wanna turbo the BP motor

I am jealous of all of you guys. Your Mazda's are so clean for being so old. I love my 96 Mazda Protege Z5 5 Speed MT. Had it for 6 years. 160,000 miles now. It was used in pizza delivery, as a rental car, involved in a police chase, has been off roading, used as a pick up truck, used in lunch tray drifting, SUV rear ended it and totalled it(frame was pulled and new trunk, bumpers were installed), it got in another accident where the wheel fell off while I was driving on the highway and it hit a farmers fence. Memories. :)

Now it has major rust on rear quarter panel, broken axle and CV joint, bad 2nd gear synchro, and many scratches and 3 small dents. When I get the money, I will restore it. The engine is bullet proof so far. It is my Daily Driver.
6649002901_38eb7166fe.jpg

Back