POR-15 success

Hey guys, I'd just like to let you know I've used POR-15 on my suspension components and brake calipers. Now I'm letting time beat the paint to see how well it lasts. It's been about a week now and the paint is adhering very well. Unlike some horror stories, I have had no chipping, peeling, or cracking. The stuff is rock hard, just as the stuff is known for. I'm so pleased in fact, I will be working on the undercarriage all throughout the summer. I will write a comprehensive review with pics later in the month to give the paint more time to prove its worth.

Im the second photo, you can see the POR-15 on the metal part (don't know what it's called) just behind the TDC of the disk. I've painted the metal behind the disk extensively. The area was quite rusted.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    735.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    808.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
How much did you clean the calipers up before putting the POR 15 on? Or is this the stuff that bonds onto rust really well?

I used this on my 79 camaro and it worked great. 8 years after I applied it, it is still on as strong as ever. I had it on both clean surfaces and surface rust with great success. I love the stuff

POR-15 is a really working well out for me. I will paint the oil pan black to see how well this stuff holds up to heat. The company claims up to 500 celcius. Let's see if it can hold up.

Also, as prep, I cleaned the calipers with marine clean quite extensively. I used a wire brush to scrape off brake dust. The stuff worked well too. Black grime washed off the calipers even though they seemed clean enough. I soaked the calipers twice in the marine clean. The POR-15 is still holding up great. I'll post the entire process hopefully tomorrow.

How much did you clean the calipers up before putting the POR 15 on? Or is this the stuff that bonds onto rust really well?

Naw, no paint actually "bonds" to rust. That would change the chemical makeup of the rust and the paint as well. POR-15 is painted over rust well since POR-15 likes to adhere to "toothed" and rough surfaces. Rust has this surface, so POR-15 can be painted over rust directly, as long as the rust is not chipping.

Back