Popping noise in the rear while turning

Go Mifune

Over the past month off and on a popping noise can be heard from what i am guessing is the rear suspension. When I pull out first thing the uneven pavement in my driveway can cause it to happen. But on the road slight turns can cause it to pop at first. While later on sometimes I can force it to pop while doing some slolam action down the road.

Seems to maybe happen more in wet weather.

This isn't the clunk had that fixed with the 56E's It is more like a sound you would hear from a shock tower joint or something. Something being strained then popping loose.

Anyone possibly have this same issue?

Or take it back to the dealer took mine back and they replaced them, they said the bushings wore out.

funnylittlman said:
Get the 156E and A bushings. it's called the Clunk around here.

-fnny
I already have 156E's on it. Maybe they are wearing out yet again?

It is not the same noise as the infamous clunk. I had that before. This is a little different and occurs under slightly different circumstances. Such as light gentle turning until it pops a few times then it takes more powerful turns to make it pop.

MetalSpeed said:
Or take it back to the dealer took mine back and they replaced them, they said the bushings wore out.
Dealer is a 3 hour ride from here. Just looking to see if anyone had some suggestions so when I do go. I might be able to steer them toward the problem easier. I already know they are going to automatically think it is the clunk. And replacing the bushings might just fix this as well.

^ The new "e" bushings will be your best bet man. People have tried everything with little to no results.

check under your car on the sway bar. I just had my bushing replaced and the brackets keep coming loose that hold the sway bar in place. It sounds a lot like what you are describing and i get a weird popping noise whenever i go up my driveway or turn or basically when I do anything but go straight on a smooth paved road. its like 1000000 million times worse than the klunking noise. shouldve just left the damn thing klunking.

Ive got something that I don't think is the clunk or what you have. I get a rattle like something is rolling around in the trunk whenever I turn or stop hard. Correction, it isn't there all the time, its weird just randomly there sometimes when I turn or break quickly.

I'm also having the same problem, sounds like something banging against the sidewall of the trunk. It doesn't happen too often, but seems to always happen every time I turn into the parking lot at my condo, but no where else. I have the new bushings too.

A friend of mine with a speed actual had his sway bar come partial unattached and it was banging against the car. You may want to look under the car and see if the sway bar looks ok...from your previous post it's likely you've checked that.

Last edited:
It is not your sway bar bushings you are hearing.We ALL know what the "CLUNK" is,and I have this sound as well,BUT I found out what it is.I dont know what is causing it other than body twist on bumps ,but its the rear trunk floor pan on the right side.Take out your spare tire and press down on the shhet metal of the trunk floor and watch it move and go POP!
There is your pop!
Now ,the question is what is causing it and how do we get it to quit?
I only noticed it because I carry a lot of tools for work in my trunk and get them in and out all day long and one day while lifting my tool bag out there was the "POP" that I had been hearing for a while but could not pinpoint.
Someone else see if this is your problem as well.I could also get it to do it from underneath the car by pressing on the sheetmetal.
Check it for yourself and let me know.
Matt

Back