PLEASE READ - Clunk in the trunk = bad news

So we've all heard of the clunk in the trunk after lowering springs on P5. Well, what you haven't heard are the damages caused by it.

When I had my Tein S-Techs on OEM struts, I never had a clunk initially. After a couple of months, it started in the rear / right corner only. I did the washer trick found on the US Board (here --> LINK <---), and the clunk got a little better, but was still there and annoying.

I figured, ok, if the washers aren't fixing it, maybe it's my struts. So last weekend I had Tokico HPs installed (I was too busy to do them myself). I figured the struts would fix it, so no washers were included in the install. The clunk got worse after the HPs were in, so I tore it apart today to see what was going on, and to put washers in to see if it helped with this setup. Everything looked as expected (some gaps that would be filled with the thickness of the washers) until I drove down the street to watch where the clunking was happening. All of a sudden,...what do you know,...one of my struts started coming up from the wheel well. Seems the Mounting Rubber at the bottom also keeps the strut somewhat compressed. Well the Mounting Rubber broke apart and nothing was compressing the strut anymore.

My theory is that since last weekend, the rubber broke, but the steel cover that goes over the top of the strut was holding it in there and keeping the strut somewhat compressed. I did notice that towards the end of the week, the sound got a lot worse. So I figure that's when it happened.

Long story short,....I am in DESPERATE NEED of that part number for the rear / right corner if anyone knows it. I checked the Shop Manual and in section 2-14 (Rear Suspension), page 2, it's piece #9 "Mounting Rubber"

Anybody know the part number? I obviously can't drive like this.

also - to anyone else that has the clunk. Please consider this a warning. Could turn into something worse than just a clunk.

Here are some pics of the damage:
from far
post-18-87658-1.jpg

See how the bottom ring is broken
post-18-87683-2.jpg

Not good
post-18-87703-3.jpg

Ughhhhhhh
post-18-87725-4.jpg

Left side still normal (needs washers)
post-18-87752-Left.jpg

images aren't working,.....here they are.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 595
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 674
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 500
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 638
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 567
this must also apply to the sedan since i'm gettin the clunk too, and i also have the teins on oem struts..

Wow, that is very odd. That should not happen. Do you remember hitting any potholes while the stock struts were installed?

heh... im speechless... good find dude. good luck with your problem and i think ill be checking my suspension soon as well o_O

peace

viVid said:
Looks like you need these...

actually, I found out that the stopper seats were missing. Long time ago I had Tom Motorsport coilovers installed by a local shop. I didn't like them, so I had them taken out, and replaced them with Tein S-Techs. Anyway, the shop never gave me back the Stopper Seats after installing the Tom Motorsports, and therefore I never realized anything was missing in the new install when we swapped them out and put Teins in. That probably would have stopped the rod from coming through like it did. It's part #B01D-28-3A0 and looks like an upside down metal cup with a hole at the top.

Last edited:
OK!!! glad i found this link, thanks to L8R....i am having the rattling noise too...i replaced my stock suspension w/Tokico HP struts and Racing beat springs.....what the hell do i need to do to stop that horrible noise?!

check the first post. There is a link to a HUGE thread discussing the clunk. I had my rear suspension ripped apart. Replaced the Upper Strut Mounts and got the stopper seats installed (missing parts). Also had the washers included in the installation. Since then, the clunk is FINALLY gone. Music to my ears :)

Bumping this ****OLD**** thread. While I haven't taken the hatch area apart yet to confirm, I'm getting crazy knocking/clunking noises from the rear left, and can hear all kinds of grindy sounds at the upper mount location when I bounce the car around and listen. I have the metal cup in place, so nothing has popped through (yet).

Can someone please let me know:
  • Is the upper mount replaceable without disconnecting the lower suspension/wheel components? Can I just remove the three bolts holding the mount in place and pull the strut down enough to get the new mount over the top?
  • Anyone know the part number for the rear left upper strut mount?
  • Will I have to upgrade to the AWR upper mount, or can I use a factory one (note- I'm on Tokico Blues with Tien springs)

Thanks a lot!

[EDIT]- Perhaps I just have a loose top nut. I jacked the car up in my lunch break and was jerking things around to try to locate the loose part. I didn't find anything loose... But driving back to work the clunk was gone- well, that is until I pulled into my work parking lot which has a sharp incline at the curb. Then the clunk came back. If the strut was busted through the top mount, it certainly wouldn't have gotten quieter. I'll have to take it all apart tonight and check things out.

Last edited:
Yep- that's not good. :( Still hoping I can replace the mount without taking apart all the wheel stuff. I wonder how hard it would be to deal with the spring compressor and everything all inside the wheel well. Sigh... these P5s are super fun but what pieces of s***... Thin paint, rusty bodies, under powered, sigh. But I still love the damn thing. (uhm)

Attachments

• IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 140
Back