Please help!! Oil system issues

JKoscoe

:
2007 Mazda5 Sport
This will sound confusing so i will try to say it as clearly as I can.

Yesterday i changed the oil in my wifes 5. I have done this in the past so no problems...so i thought. I did the usual meaning jack the car up remove the plug and let the oil drain. After this I removed the filter casing and replaced the filter...with the correct filter (had wrong filter once before.) After replacing the rubber rings and filter i put the parts back on. Sounds normal so far. While doing this I also was diagnosing a tire issue. After rotating tires I drop the car back on teh ground and put the oild in the engine. I take the car for a spin to see if my tire issue went away. It did but the car acted strange. The car started blowing out white smoke from the exhaust. I hurried the car back to the garage where I let it sit for a few minutes before checking the oil again. The sitck says it had too much oil in it. I though my mistake, so i let some oil out. After doing this a few times the stick still says there is too much oil. i drain out all of the oil from the plug. To me if there is no oil coming out of the plug there is no oil in the engine...right? So i fire up the car for a couple minutes and turn it off. After letting it sit for a few minutes I check the oil again and it still says there is too much oil in the car. i take it out for a drive and only once did it blow white. So I let the car sit overnight and check it this morning and still too much oil. The car drives fine, no idle issues no smells not odd noises. Can someone please help me. I have called around to the local shops around here and no ideas. My mechanic doesn't know what is going on. I am in desperate help.

So, just to check... you drained the oil out of the filter housing AND out of the oil pan correct? From your post it almost sounds like you only drained the oil from the filter housing.

So, just to check... you drained the oil out of the filter housing AND out of the oil pan correct? From your post it almost sounds like you only drained the oil from the filter housing.

I don't remember taking the plug out of the pan last time either. I should really read up on things before I start any project.

I don't remember taking the plug out of the pan last time either. I should really read up on things before I start any project.

Will it hurt the car to run more oil or should i crawl back under and drain it again and start over?

Well, that would be your problem right there... hehe. That drain plug on the filter housing only drains the oil out of the filter area, and any oil that might be *above* the filter in the oil system, which is probably not very much. Most of the oil is going to drain out of the oil pan.

Definitely drain it and start over. Significantly overfilling to the point where you're blowing white smoke out the exhaust is not healthy for the motor.

Well, that would be your problem right there... hehe. That drain plug on the filter housing only drains the oil out of the filter area, and any oil that might be *above* the filter in the oil system, which is probably not very much. Most of the oil is going to drain out of the oil pan.

Definitely drain it and start over. Significantly overfilling to the point where you're blowing white smoke out the exhaust is not healthy for the motor.

Thanks for all of the help. We have not had good luck with the 5. Really thinking about selling it. We have only had the car for a little over 2 years and have replaced all breaks, had the front rotors turned down, new tires, both lowbeam headlight bulbs, now in need of a rear strut, had trouble finding the rear wiper blade that fit (only Mazda OEM works) and have a rattleing noise coming from rear that is not strut related. Another member on here gave me a maintenance manual for the rattleing and hop that solves that problem.

Now the question is, do we sell it or keep replacing parts that will fail and it be new again. My wife is the Mazda fan. I am a GM person.

For all who read this after my jackass mistake was found, thank you in advance for the advice on all of our Mazda issues.

OK, for the record, since you figured out what happened, you have drained all the oil from the drain plug in the oil pan, opened the oil filler cap (to relieve pressure, aiding in draining), replaced the plug and put the correct amount of 5W20 back in the engine, ran the motor some, checked the dipstick, topped off as appropriate, then put the oil filler cap back on?

Personally, I NEVER open the little plug on the filter housing. Seems like its just one more place that can leak if you mess with it, so I risk getting oil all over my hands when I pull the filter housing off. Worthwhile trade if you ask me.

I feel for you about your repair/replace issues. We have had ours for almost 2 1/2 years. It was still in warranty when we got it, and I spent alot of time here on the forum searching for common problems and getting them repaired under warranty. From what I read about the things you've replaced, looks like the previous owner was hard on the car and maybe a bit neglectful. In the past 12 years, I have replaced 2 headlight bulbs across all the cars I have owned. We are on the original brakes still (46K mi on the Mazda5) but the 2nd set of tires after the OE tires were replaced by the original owner, and yes, I have had to replace the rear wiper with Mazda OEM. But really, anything made of rubber needs to be replaced regularly anyway. If you were complaining about electrical issues, engine parts and transmission parts blowing up or other neccessary items failing, like doors, steering, fuel or cooling systems, then I would say yeah, dump it before more repair costs come knocking. But to me it sounds like you are cleaning up for the previous owner and you should be trouble free for some time now.

I feel for you about your repair/replace issues. We have had ours for almost 2 1/2 years. It was still in warranty when we got it, and I spent alot of time here on the forum searching for common problems and getting them repaired under warranty. From what I read about the things you've replaced, looks like the previous owner was hard on the car and maybe a bit neglectful. In the past 12 years, I have replaced 2 headlight bulbs across all the cars I have owned. We are on the original brakes still (46K mi on the Mazda5) but the 2nd set of tires after the OE tires were replaced by the original owner, and yes, I have had to replace the rear wiper with Mazda OEM. But really, anything made of rubber needs to be replaced regularly anyway. If you were complaining about electrical issues, engine parts and transmission parts blowing up or other neccessary items failing, like doors, steering, fuel or cooling systems, then I would say yeah, dump it before more repair costs come knocking. But to me it sounds like you are cleaning up for the previous owner and you should be trouble free for some time now.

The car didn't have very many miles on it when we bought it. i think it was a lease vehicle so it probably was neglected. The headlights i dont know. The driver side was first then about 2 weeks later the pass side. It hasn't been any major issues, just small ones that compile to be a big headache. There is one more thing as well. the clear coat is pealing off of my wheels too. It just seems like we bought a 5 with lemon tedencies. other that all of the minor issues it has been a great car.

Thanks for all of the help. We have not had good luck with the 5. Really thinking about selling it. We have only had the car for a little over 2 years and have replaced all BRAKES, had the front rotors turned down, new tires, both lowbeam headlight bulbs, now in need of a rear strut, had trouble finding the rear wiper blade that fit (only Mazda OEM works) and have a rattleing noise coming from rear that is not strut related. Another member on here gave me a maintenance manual for the rattleing and hop that solves that problem.

Now the question is, do we sell it or keep replacing parts that will fail and it be new again. My wife is the Mazda fan. I am a GM person.
all your issues are minor maintenance issues. brake wear is highly driver and type of driving dependent, and brakes are a wear item. tires likewise. some people have reported rear strut and rear noise issues, not really a big deal.
bulb blowing out? come one dude, it's just a bulb. and lots of people recommend changing both when one goes out (they are the same age)
just redo your oil change and realize cars need servicing.

Thanks for all of the help. We have not had good luck with the 5. Really thinking about selling it. We have only had the car for a little over 2 years and have replaced all breaks, had the front rotors turned down, new tires, both lowbeam headlight bulbs, now in need of a rear strut, had trouble finding the rear wiper blade that fit (only Mazda OEM works) and have a rattleing noise coming from rear that is not strut related. Another member on here gave me a maintenance manual for the rattleing and hop that solves that problem.

I went through the same scenario as you did (wear part issues, not oil), Sounds like you got the car just at the point when it was in need of some major service (not major problems, just lots of wear items) as I did.

1. Bulbs blow, I've seen brand new cars driving around with a blown bulb, just replace and get over it, and always do both at the same time.

2. Front rotors, sounds like the previous lease owner probably drove the s*** out of her... knowing he was giving it back after 2 or 3 years. Warped rotors are most often caused by repeated very hard braking causing the rotors to overheat and warp. The car I bought, the previous owner had installed very hard material brake pads and after a trip through the mountains with the 5 loaded to the gills I warped my front rotors. (Hard pads don't wear as fast, but instead of wearing, push much more heat into the rotors, and cars in this price segment don't have OEM rotors capable of handling that kind of repeated heating without warping). Good thing is, you had enough rotor material left so that you were able to have them machined, you'll be fine for a long time now.... as I have.

3. New tires - The OEM tires, as on every new car in this price segment are always and always will be PIECES OF s***. The sooner you get rid of them the better, hope you didn't replace with OEM?? If not, you'll be fine now, just like any other car.

4. Rear struts - yes the Mazda OEM rear struts totally blow... and it's been an issue for every Mazda 5 owner, but it's a simple and pretty cheap fix. DON"T HAVE THEM REPLACED WITH OEM STRUTS. If you're not comfortable with replacing them yourself, just head down to your local Midas or where-ever and have some KYB or Monroe's thrown on... they have lifetime warranties, you'll be good to go, as I am.

5. Rear wiper blade - yep, kind of a weird little quirk, most cars have some kind of quirk. I did the same thing, bought an aftermarket wiper, didn't work, took it back and bought a Mazda OEM. Not an issue, and now we know.

6. Rattling noise is most likely from the rear sway bar bushings. Again this is a Mazda OEM part issue, when you have your rear struts replaced, have them check and most likely replace the rear swaybar bushings. Again this is an incredibly quick and simple job. But, again, don't go with OEM, before you take it in head to your local parts store and buy non-OEM aftermarket bushings (they'll only be about $10 - $20 each) and have the shop install those. You'll be good to go, as I was.

These are all cheap simple fixes and very similar issues that almost every car goes through, they just happened to you all in quick succession it seems, as they did to me!! But as others have pointed out, you should be good to go now... just be happy you're not blowing head gaskets or dropping trannys!

Go through the forums, if you're into it, all of the above is covered in the how-to section, and all are pretty simple if you've got a garage and some jack-stands. Have fun!

Last edited:
all your issues are minor maintenance issues. brake wear is highly driver and type of driving dependent, and brakes are a wear item. tires likewise. some people have reported rear strut and rear noise issues, not really a big deal.
bulb blowing out? come one dude, it's just a bulb. and lots of people recommend changing both when one goes out (they are the same age)
just redo your oil change and realize cars need servicing.

I understand that all cars need servicing and it seems like i am complaining, but I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT and the only things i have had to replace are the brakes (not as soon as the Mazda milage wise) the oil (much easier than the Mazda) and a tensioner pully asnd the only reason for changing the bulbs in my Pontiac were becasue they were too dim for night driving not becasue they blown out. For an 8 year old car with 126,000 miles on it, it has been more reliable then the Mazda has. The finish on the Mazdas wheels is peeling off. The factory wheels on my Pontiac look brand new. You can't beat the reliability or the quality of a GM, but my wife loves her Mazda. Remember, a happy wife makes a happy life. So once again, thanks for the help and also the BS talk.

I suspect your PO beat the crap out of the 5 before you got it! I have 163,000km on my 2006 mz5 and I have replaced the brakes (once at 130,000km) the OEM brakes are incredibly hard wearing!! on my previous car I'd have already gone through 2 sets by now and be onto my 3rd! so +1 for the durability of the brakes on the Mazda 5! I've replaced both rear struts (one a 78,000km and the other at 145,000km) OEM tires are crap but I still got to 100,000km (with winter tire switches)

blubs are bulbs, I always replace both when one goes. (wear item)

Oh and Mazda recommends AGAINST turning rotors. Once the pads wear out, the rotors are worn out!! but then again when they last as long as mine did, it's not such a big deal!

that rear wiper is a bit of a pain to have to go back to Mazda for, but at least they are not expensive!!

odd that the finish on the wheels is peeling. I'll bet your car was either a coastal vehicle or had a flood at some point!

hmm, "can't beat the quality of a GM" (sorry had to say something!!) GM's are getting better but it's going to be a long time before they get japanese quality. any company that has to quote JD power "initial quality surveys" as their tell for quality is in trouble... after all who isn't happy with there vehicle, right after they bought it!!! if they weren't they woun't have bought it!!

Heck even GM's european subsidiaries produce better quality in the same categories!!!

Latest posts

Back