Plasti Dipped front end mask

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport AT
Well I tried this a couple months ago and it failed miserably, both to my own ineptitude and the cool temperatures. I gave it another shot last night and it came out much better than before, but still not perfect (or even great). The front end of my 5 is pretty chewed up from bugs and road debris since I drive quite a bit. The hood especially has quite a few chips in the paint from rocks and whatnot while the front bumper cover is mainly bugged and lightly pitted. I don't have a machine buffer to work any of these things out. In any case, Mazda USA doesn't make a front bra for the 2012+ Mazda5 so I went about making my own from Plasti Dip. I picked up four rattle-cans at Lowe's for $6 each. My local Lowe's is stocking black, white, grey, blue, red, yellow, and glossy now so there's quite a good selection.

I taped off the headlights, front grille, and part of the hood in an attempt to extend the mask over the most commonly struck sections of the front end. I didn't mask off the fog light sections since I don't have fogs and don't plan on putting them in (at least for the foreseeable future). I didn't spray the grille with Plasti Dip since I didn't go to the trouble of opening up the top and bottom behind the front bumper cover in order to put cardboard over the radiator. I plan to do so at some point but I didn't have the energy or time to do it yesterday. The dip on the hood is still the bane of this since I have yet to figure out how to get nice, clean lines. When I pulled up the tape it tore the dip with it, so I just ripped that whole hood section off. I'm going to give it another go this weekend I hope, maybe the grille, too. The streaking you see on the grille right now is left over from car wash, so ignore that as it's not related to the Plasti Dip. The dip on the remainder of the front end isn't completely even but it's passable. Sorry for the low-quality pics but it's the best I was able to snap after work today.

IMG_20140520_164820_127.jpg

IMG_20140520_165004_271.jpg

IMG_20140520_164300_142.jpg

Did you get a pic of what you WERE able to achieve on the hood before you peeled it off? I'm curious.

sorry, but it looks like you had the bumper replaced and couldn't afford to get it painted.

I 100% disagree with that comment. It looks like black vinyl almost. Very well done in my opinion and I've seen a lot of good paint jobs. Stop hating (2thumbs) .

The key to making cut lines across the hood is to pull the tape before it dries. Reapply the tape for the next coat.

Are there any long term durability reports out there from using plasti dip? My unfounded concerns are that it is not a durable enough to withstand bug splatter and rock impacts at speed, leavening even larger craters; may leave you with an even fuglier looking front end. It may not endure the scrubbing needed when trying to get bug splatter off. I also have unfounded reservation that this stuff, if left on for a longer-than-not period of time, may cake on if the surface is not smooth or pre-waxed before applying. All the videos of people “simply” peeling it off is soon after application/drying. The few reports of long term rim application says it a biatch to get off but this could be compounded by heat. I have no personal experience with plasti dip but from what I’ve seen, these are my questions.

FWIW, the front bumper comes off really easily.

I 100% disagree with that comment. It looks like black vinyl almost. Very well done in my opinion and I've seen a lot of good paint jobs. Stop hating (2thumbs) .
No hate there. It was an honest opinion and I feel the same way. Now, if the WHOLE car was dipped, that's a different story. I like the flat/matte look.

No hate there. It was an honest opinion and I feel the same way. Now, if the WHOLE car was dipped, that's a different story. I like the flat/matte look.

no hate intended. just looks unfinished with only the bumper completed, in my opinion.

Everything I've read points toward excellent durability. We'll find out. I agree that it doesn't look great now, as it's not complete and it's not the best application job. I'm debating buying a spray gun and going that route for application. At that point I'd almost want to do the whole car in a new color, though.

I've tried several methods for getting a clean line on the hood, but I haven't tried the "spray, remove tape, retape, repeat" process. I'll give that a try and see how it goes. If that works, I plan on extending the mask over the fenders as I've got some chipping there from rocks spraying up off the tires.

you don't have to retape after every coat, just make sure you remove the tape while the last coat is still wet.

Poorly done, but done, hood section. I used MAZDASPEED MX5's suggestion above and sprayed, immediately removed the tape, then taped down again before repeating the process. I wasn't very careful about my spraying in any of this, though, so the application looks like crap. But it gives a good idea of how it could look if done well.

IMG_20140527_174119_556.jpg

Back