Pirelli/tire shop question

Evolved

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
I recently discovered a screw in the sidewall of one of my tires (Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S all around). The tires themselves are very new, less than 5000 miles. I went to the Firestone right down the road where I always go for issues such as this. They informed me that I would just have to replace one since the other tires were so new....fine and good. Now, they told me that the P Zero Nero M+S is discontinued and instead mounted (same size, speed rating, etc.) a Pirelli P Zero Rosso.

SO, I have 3 Ulra High Performance All Seasons and 1 Ultra High Performance Summer.

Does this sound right? They told me the one they mounted was the "close cousin" of the rest. Can anyone confirm/deny the cancellation of the PZero Nero M+S? Thanks in advance!

I'm no tire pro, but putting a summer tire with all seasons in the weather you get in your area doesn't sound right. I'm assuming you are running stock size 215/45/18, none of the larger online dealers list the m&s in that size anymore except onlinetires.com. Check that site, good price listed. If you were under a road hazard warranty, it looks like they gave you a higher price point tire in comparison to the m&s. if you weren't... go b****. I would try to get the regular p zero nero all season from them if you can't get the m&s.

Last edited:
Problem was solved. The Firestone manager made a mistake and I'm getting the M+S (which aren't discontinued) on Friday. I ended up calling Pirelli NA and they said that they are absolutely still making that size of the PZero Nero M+S.

My only concern would be that even though they are new (5k miles) they still have worn down a bit. The rear drivetrain might throw a fit over this.

My only concern would be that even though they are new (5k miles) they still have worn down a bit. The rear drivetrain might throw a fit over this.

The Firestone manager said that the cutoff mark is between 2/32 and 3/32....if the tires are more worn than that then all 4 need to be replaced.

Do you think I should call a mazda dealer to verify?

The Firestone manager said that the cutoff mark is between 2/32 and 3/32....if the tires are more worn than that then all 4 need to be replaced.

Do you think I should call a mazda dealer to verify?

Yea, calling is free! If you buy one tire now only to find out that you have to buy three or four more.... That's not free.

What's the tread depth on the 3 that were used? If it's close enough, you'll be fine. I believe 3/32" or more variation can piss off the ECU/PCM.

I'll measure the tread over lunch. Would there be an indicator light if the pcm/ecu were pissed?

I'll measure the tread over lunch. Would there be an indicator light if the pcm/ecu were pissed?

The 4WD light would stay on or flash if it detected any issues. There's a section in the owners manual that talks about it.

The 4WD light would stay on or flash if it detected any issues. There's a section in the owners manual that talks about it.

I figured it would. I've been on it for about 100 mile so far and haven't had any warnings flash up.

Back