Pioneer AVIC-D3 installed with pics

MikeBlueP5

:
2K2 Protege 5 (Sold) now 08 UrbanRunner
ok heres what comes with the pioneer double din install kit. I HIGHLY recommend to anyone installing this, please spend the money and get this install kit.
IMG_2942.jpg

here is the side pieces of the install kit after they are bolted up to the d3
IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

here is the dash opening, i have already clipped in the new cage
IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

here is where i mounted the bluetooth adapter
IMG_2955.jpg

and the microphone for the bluetooth
IMG_2957.jpg

the GPS antenna
IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

and the finished product
IMG_2953.jpg

I did NOT use the vss wire. so far nancy (as someone else named her) has been dead on as far as vehicle speed and positioning. I also didnt hook up the reverse wire yet as i dont know if i will be adding a camera or not. If i do decide to hook up either of those wire ill let ya know where and take pics. Also i installed the ipod cable, its just ran to the glove box and chills in there, i dont have an ipod yet. And the last thing, the back bracket that has the post mounted to it i ended up taking it off, with it on it was simply a **** hair too think and stuck out too far and i couldnt screw the two cages together. so even though its there in the pics i took it off before it went into the dash

Last edited:
Did that cage come with that butt plug thing in the rear? I needed one of those for my install..would of made it a bit easier.

very nice looking i always wanted one of those in my car but to worried about HP damn that turbo car

Did that cage come with that butt plug thing in the rear? I needed one of those for my install..would of made it a bit easier.

LMAO yeah it came with that butt plug in the rear, if youre talking about the black rear support. I ended up taking it off the d3 though. it wouldnt let it seat into the opening all the way. at first i thought it was all the wires, then i realized that it was it. i took it off and boom d3 slid all the way in. I was looking at the picture and i might try to go back and install it on the top there is two openings in the rear support structure in the dash, one down low and one up top. in the dash pic you can see the top one.

now would be the time to do it, getting back the 600 from tax rebates ill pay 37 bux outta pocket for it. i paid 637 from abtelectronics shipped. pioneer has a $200 rebate on them. I cant remember the cutoff date though.

looks good.Question mine will be here Tuesday, did you splice your wires or use a kit. thanks.

I was looking at the picture and i might try to go back and install it on the top there is two openings in the rear support structure in the dash, one down low and one up top. in the dash pic you can see the top one.

I just installed a Pioneer new FH-P8000BT using the double-DIN kit, and I tried it with the rear support cage installed on the top of the deck. Unfortunately, the butt plug wouldn't go in up top either. It seems stable enough without it, but if it rattles I might have to bust out the dremel or some KY.

I'll post some pics of it installed tomorrow...I think this deck is by far the best non-nav Double-DIN out there. Couldn't be happier with it.

i already had a scosche harness that i bought when i got the car. i ordered it directly from them. Mine was one of the first ones they made, you couldnt buy them anywhere else that i can remember. On the harness i did take the remote wire (for an amp) and move it to the illumination slot. I have a 02 without the rear tire sub so it didnt matter.

looks good.Question mine will be here Tuesday, did you splice your wires or use a kit. thanks.

Last edited:
I'm actually waiting to order the same thing, and I'm excited as hell to get it but some of the guys I work with are convinced it won't fit... Is that installation kit universal for anyone with Double-DIN??

installed my D3 w/ the pioneer install cage. Bluetooth kit and iPOD cable. absolute money. love it. couldn't ask for anything better, even memory navi mode around town is awesome, no need for the disc. i give it about two weeks before my s*** get jacked lol. thinkin about putting solder in the screwheads.

did the bypass, took two second to swap the pin and splice it into the ebrake wire then ground it. works perfect, no problems. i don't even know how soooo many people were having problems with this on avic411.com. it's not ******* rocket science.

only complaints is the ground wire is extremely short considering the rest of the harness lengths and i didn't feel like extending it. just grounded it to the brake after the install no problems. and the rear sleeve on the install cage, both holes didn't line up enough for the screws to sit flush so i only used the top holes. thought that was weird. and the D3 sticks out a tiny bit instead of sitting flush with the trim piece. prolly just a matter of using different mount holes. might even just oval the current holes to get it to sit flush.

other than that it's awesome. i did not hook up the VSS wire. at 75MPH the D3 reported my speed spot on with the speedo. i have the GPS ant. mounted on the rear deck with the alum. pad. no glitches or inaccuracies aside from any roads not on the DVD. now just need to think of some good pictures to upload to it for the splash and backgrounds.

I have those double din cage kits at work, and I hate them. They use that ugly trim-ring and it constantly falls off unless you bend the hell out of the tabs that hold it on.

I perfer to ISO mount it from behind. that way you only see the front of the radio, and no need for the trim. (just a personal prefference) Though the cages do work great if you have a full double din opening to mount the cage in, you just have to look at the ugly trim that doesnt match the color of the d3/z2.

I dont know why they didnt make it glossy black like the radios....

I have this unit and love it. Watch movies and music videos with my 5th Gen Video Ipod. Have XM and back up camera.

I see you installed the bluetooth unit. How does it work for you. Has anyone tried it with an Iphone?

for me bluetooth works great. the mic supplied with the kit is very sensitive and clear. only thing i dislike is theres no redial. would like it for at least the last number called.

one glitch i did find, but it might be with my phone. when i recieve a text message the D3 starts ringing, screen shows no numbers or anything. and the hangup button on the D3, nor my phone does not stop it. it'll keep ringing until i disconnect the phone from the bluetooth unit.

but i still love it

Ok I just bought this kit and used it as well. Whoever had my car before me, cut the bottom part of the din out.....so my old mounting kit was garbage. This one can rest a bit on the silver part and the sides hold it securely. MUCH better than what I had.

yeah i haven't had any problems with mine, one thing i did wanna fix was trim the bottom tabs so i can bend them down all the way, if you push on the bottom of the D3 it has some play. but it's not big deal

Back