Pinging issue

hwibowo

Has anyone experience pinging on your 2014 CX-5? I noticed clattering noise by accident when I was driving at night with my radio off. The noise happened only during acceleration or under heavy load. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed it. I always used 87 octane since the manual doesn't specify which grade to get. So the service advisor told me to use the middle grade from now on. It makes sense to go for higher grade since the compression ratio is 14. But I just wanna know how many of you have this issue. I googled and searched it here but it seemed like I'm the only one with this issue. Might be a good idea as well for yall to check this.

My tank still has plenty of 87 gas. I will wait until it is about half empty and put techron additive and fill it with middle grade gas.

No pinging issues here, and I looked for it. Had a 2011 Hyundai that pinged especially in hot, dry weather. This engine is quiet.

Last edited:
No pinging issue with my 2013 2.0L with same 13:1 CR. I have driven in temps in range of 95-100F, I only use Chevron regular gasoline.

How did the dealer"confirm it"?

I would first suspect a tank of lower octane fuel. If you hear pinging after using different brands of 87 octane then the dealer should determine what is wrong. JMO. Ed

Has anyone experience pinging on your 2014 CX-5? I noticed clattering noise by accident when I was driving at night with my radio off. The noise happened only during acceleration or under heavy load. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed it. I always used 87 octane since the manual doesn't specify which grade to get. So the service advisor told me to use the middle grade from now on. It makes sense to go for higher grade since the compression ratio is 14. But I just wanna know how many of you have this issue. I googled and searched it here but it seemed like I'm the only one with this issue. Might be a good idea as well for yall to check this.

My tank still has plenty of 87 gas. I will wait until it is about half empty and put techron additive and fill it with middle grade gas.

This octane topic is a favorite of the forum :)

The manual specifies 87 or above.. meaning that 87 is the minimum octane that is safe to run.

I also notice a "clattering" noise when running 87 octane at over ~50% throttle and low rpm (under 3k or so).
I first noticed it on the drive home from the dealer and it has been there ever since. In order to get rid of the faint sound I can do two things:
1. Avoid such heave throttle at such low RPM and usually down shift if I need to go faster.
2. Run higher octane gas

I know that the sound that I experience is not "pinging" or "knock"... there is a knock sensor to avoid that. I suspect that with the 87 octane the valve timing is slightly different under such heavy load and low RPM creating the faint sound.

Having said that I almost always run 87 because I haven't yet convinced myself that the extra 20c per gallon for the higher octane gas is worth it.

"I know that the sound that I experience is not "pinging" or "knock"... there is a knock sensor to avoid that. I suspect that with the 87 octane the valve timing is slightly different under such heavy load and low RPM creating the faint sound."If you can eliminate the sound by running gas with a higher octane rating, why would you assume that the noise is anything other than "pinging" or pre-detonation? There very well could be enough production variance in these engines that, with a 13:1 compression ratio (and even running a knock sensor) under some driving conditions some just need a little higher octane boost to get by. Sounds like yours may be one of them. I'd be running mid-grade if I were you.

CX-SV, I always use big boy brands gasoline such as Shell, Chevron, and Texaco. Never put anything else. The technician drove my car and he confirmed it. I also let my gear head friend drove it. He also said the same thing.

Piotrek, I drive normal to the point of hyper-milling. It doesn't take much to produce the noise.

As of now, I will put techron additive into the current tank and fill up with middle octane gas. I will report back if it doesn't change anything.

CX-SV, I always use big boy brands gasoline such as Shell, Chevron, and Texaco. Never put anything else. The technician drove my car and he confirmed it. I also let my gear head friend drove it. He also said the same thing.

I see, I use only Chevron regular gasoline and never experienced pinging in 22K miles on my 2.0L.

IMO something is wrong, and the experiment with middle octane gas might not be the solution although it's worth a try.

"I know that the sound that I experience is not "pinging" or "knock"... there is a knock sensor to avoid that. I suspect that with the 87 octane the valve timing is slightly different under such heavy load and low RPM creating the faint sound."If you can eliminate the sound by running gas with a higher octane rating, why would you assume that the noise is anything other than "pinging" or pre-detonation? There very well could be enough production variance in these engines that, with a 13:1 compression ratio (and even running a knock sensor) under some driving conditions some just need a little higher octane boost to get by. Sounds like yours may be one of them. I'd be running mid-grade if I were you.

I've always assumed (incorrectly?) that "pinging or knock" would be more of a pronounced and violent sound than what I experience.

Also I've always assumed, as CX-SV always posts that the engine is designed to run fine on 87 octane. I've attributed the elimination of the "chattering noise" that I get by using 91 octane to the marginally different valve timing that is possible with higher octane fuel.

When I fuel up next time I'll use premium to verify that the noise does not occur, and maybe try mid-grade later to save a few cents per gallon.

I would appreciate it if anyone could attempt to re-produce this slight noise that I hear. Put the car in 6th (automatic or manual) at 50 or so and slowly start pressing the gas pedal harder and harder while listening for any unusual sounds from the motor.
I suspect that keeping the car in auto mode, the transmission will shift out of 6th before this noise occurs, possibly explaining why most of you guys never notice it.

The higher octane fuel may stop pre-ignition but it may not stop detonation depending on what is causing it. The technician should run the car with his scan tool and see if the computer is reacting to it with the knock sensor. With a properly working knock sensor you should not be able to hear it for more than a split second.

Did they run a full diagnostic? Other things can cause ping/knock- low fuel pump pressure, engine running hotter than normal, bad knock sensor, etc.

Piotrek, I drive normal to the point of hyper-milling. It doesn't take much to produce the noise.

I suspect that keeping the car in auto mode, the transmission will shift out of 6th before this noise occurs, possibly explaining why most of you guys never notice it.

You are lugging the engine on purpose in order to hypermile the car.
Don't do that, and you won't hear that noise anymore, I would bet.

BC.

You are lugging the engine on purpose in order to hypermile the car.
Don't do that, and you won't hear that noise anymore, I would bet.

BC.

I don't know about hawibowo, but I am not lugging my engine. When I say "low RPM" I mean under 3k.
Slowly accelerating in 6th at 50MPH on a level road is certainly within the "normal" operating parameters of the car. (see the recommended shift points below:)

For normal acceleration, we recommend
these shift points.
(U.S.A. and Canada)
Gear Vehicle speed
1 to 2 24 km/h (15 mph)
2 to 3 42 km/h (26 mph)
3 to 4 60 km/h (37 mph)
4 to 5 75 km/h (46 mph)
5 to 6 79 km/h (49 mph)

For cruising (U.S.A. and Canada)
Gear Vehicle speed
1 to 2 13 km/h (8 mph)
2 to 3 29 km/h (18 mph)
3 to 4 49 km/h (30 mph)
4 to 5 63 km/h (39 mph)
5 to 6 70 km/h (43 mph)

The higher octane fuel may stop pre-ignition but it may not stop detonation depending on what is causing it. The technician should run the car with his scan tool and see if the computer is reacting to it with the knock sensor. With a properly working knock sensor you should not be able to hear it for more than a split second.

I agree, it would be nice to have a qualified technician look at this "problem", but from my experience, unless there is a CEL most "technicians" will just tell the service advisor, who plays dumb, to tell me that it's normal and not to worry about it.

I'll be taking my car in for service within the next 500 miles, so I'll bring up the issue.

Just wanna update. This afternoon, my tank was half empty. I went ahead put the additive in and topped it off with 89 gas. Still heard it 2-3 mile driving from the gas station. Once I entered the highway, the noise was not there. No pinging until I got home. Will update again tomorrow.

Today is 9/18, hwibowo, what's the update please....?

So locking in 6th on the highway and letting the bottom end torque maintain enough momentum to crest rolling hills @60-65 is not the best idea? Tranny let me hold 6th right down to the kickdown nub at WOT. I'm on my second tank of BP 89 and unfortunately didn't see noticeable mpg diff yet but she's still a baby and certainly not disappointed in getting 28 and change. That said I'm getting this mid-grade at such a small price premium to 87 that I plan to stick with it until that changes. I didn't hear any pinging but also wasn't listening for it either. I will and would like an update from hwibowo on this issue as well.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Just wanna give an update. After being out of town for about 3 weeks. I drove the car around and I heard the noise again. Putting higher octane doesnt have any effect. I thought it cured the issue before I left for my job. Oh well, seems like I need to go back to the dealer. Am I the only one with this issue? This is getting annoying.

Hey guys,

Just wanna give an update. After being out of town for about 3 weeks. I drove the car around and I heard the noise again. Putting higher octane doesnt have any effect. I thought it cured the issue before I left for my job. Oh well, seems like I need to go back to the dealer. Am I the only one with this issue? This is getting annoying.
Not likely engine detonation (ping) then, take it to the dealer.

Back