Pictures of bad welds on V2 simota intake

dread

Here are the pictures of the bad welds on the MAF housing of the second version of the Simota intake. This intake has given several people CELs now and I am trying to resolve the problem with my brothers V2. The welds eat into the housing on the side close to the cf body. I also included a picture of the plastic velocity stack for good measure.

Attachments

• DSCN1156 (2).JPG
    DSCN1156 (2).JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 564
  • DSCN1164 (2).JPG
    DSCN1164 (2).JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 518
  • DSCN1165 (2).JPG
    DSCN1165 (2).JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 485
Maybe it's just that the pics are ULTRA huge, but those welds don't look bad to me. I've seen A LOT worse from certain vendors on here.

Yeah they are not the worst but the V2 intakes are throwing a lot of cels and no one knows why. I know that it is very important to have a good seal between the MAF and its housing and these welds may be preventing that and throwing a CEL. Just a possibility. I took the intake out of the car and put it back to stock and everything is fine. I don't know what to do about the intake though. Hopefully umnitza is going to help me out. They are already trying to figure out the problem. The V1 intake is awesome so I am hoping they fix the problem.

they look alright to me. if there is no good seal why not add some kind of gasket to test if thats the problem.

bad weld for sure, send us that picture - if you bought it from us - and we'll see if we can get them to send you a new one.

umnitza said:
bad weld for sure, send us that picture - if you bought it from us - and we'll see if we can get them to send you a new one.

nice customer serv... keep up the good work...

thanks umnitza, I did buy it from you. Any news on solutions to the CEL and the missing gasket?

As you are probably aware, our communication capabilities have been somewhat publicly diminished, so we cannot provide updates at this time publicly.

We want to become a supporting vendor here to allow members here to get the quality of products, but have not had a response from the admin as of yet.

The final solution seems to be that we are looking to get the V1 retrofit - aka removing the velocity stack and possibly added some oil on the gasket.

Will keep you posted.

yeah i read a lot on that other forum (no names) about the filter medai... but it seems to be working fine for me... change my own oil and have not noticed anything unusual about it... and when its time to change it out i think i will just get order another one instead of cleaning it...

There is no flat gasket. The MAF seals with an o-ring on the inside of the hole. Those welds will have exactly zero effect on sealing the MAF unless the hole is warped or something.

The welds in the pictures look fine to me. I do find it ultra cheesy that they don't include stainless steel nuts/bolts to mount the intake with though. And what's with that one bolt on the bottom being so much longer than the others? Kinda makes it look like they just tossed whatever nuts/bolts they had into a bag and sent 'em out.

one is longer because you have to mount the baro sensor to it so it gives you more room to work with otherwise its just hangin out... there is a method to their madness.. all me nuts and bolts were stainless.. though i had the V1....???

I could have sworn that the bracket for the baro sensor wasn't that thick. The longer bolt in the pictures still looks longer than needed. Also, the nuts/bolts in the pictures look to be of the nickel plated variety. Stainless hardware has a much duller, slighly greyer finish, and polished stainless is typically much shinier and smoother finished than the pictured bolts.

If you are really curious, a magnet will tell you for sure.

Back