Passenger front door power lock just died

mazdarichie

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I just went outside to get in my car when I clicked the remote to open the door the passenger front door lock just made a buzzing or clicking sound and quit working. My guess is the power lock mechanisim just died in that door. How hard is it to change? How hard is it to get the door panel off and get in there? I just don't want to break anything trying to get the doorpanel off. Help!
Richard

I am not sure on the reapir..but I know the Actuators are not cheap.
If the Front and rear actuators for the locks are the same..I have some extras here I could sell you out of rear MSP doors.

Can you manually lock and unlock the door and can you open the door from inside and out when you manually unlock it?

Yes it still manually locks. You can lock it from the outside with the key too but it still makes the noise. The rest of the door works fine.

Ok well thats atleast a positive. I had to fix a car at my job where the lock actuator died out in the locked position and could not be unlocked manually. It was difficult to say the least but got it fixed. Anyways, taking the door panel off is easy. Its just a few screws and push clips and it comes off. Behind the panel should be an access hole to get ur hands inside the metal of the door and remove the harness and remove the door prop rod from the actuator. Then there are a few screws or bolts to remove and the actuator comes out. Reinstall in reverse order. I never did this on a protege but have done this many times being a mechanic on other cars. In general its all the same.

I just priced the actuator and it was only about $40.00. Of course this comes 3 months after my warranty expires!

I use these guys to buy all my Subaru parts too. They are pretty hard to beat and the guys are real good on the phone too with answering your questions.

I found it. On that mazda site go the model and yr protege then click front door, lock and hardware, lock actuator, w/keyless entry. Mazdarichie can confirm if I I did it right and seeing what he is seeing.

Gotcha..I went a different way and the frnt door option wasnt there.

(yippy)

Let us know if your going to attempt to do it. Maybe take a few pics and write a how to for other guys. Anyways best of luck to you and the repair.

Going to have to do it. Not going to go get robbed by the dealer and I can't have my baby with a broken lock.

Oh one last thing, if really want to check it before you actually buy it. Remove the harness from the lock actuator and probe the harness with a test light. If test light lights up when pressing the lock and unlock button, then its getting power and the actuator is binding up inside. And if you hear a noise from actuator when pressing lock button, then try and spray the inside of the actuator with some type of lube or grease. Possible that the striker is binding up and just needs some grease. Just some ways to test it out before you buy it.

Back