Painting Door Handles - Chip Proof?

I know if you put too many coats then it will rub against the housing causing it to chip off, but if done right, I haven't heard any complaints from any one as far as chipping is concerned. I can't speak of experience as I haven't done my interior, but I hear Krylon makes good paint and hihoslva recommended a brand that you have to get from a garage (they order it) and his ride looks really good.(cool)

There should be some paintable handles you can get if you are really worried about it chipping. I know I didnt want to paint mine for fear that they would chip too.

Mine are painted. No chipping yet. Just made sure to use plenty of clearcoat.

P.S. Danny get on AIM at some point. I want to talk to you about your turbo.

Thanks to Witchdoktor for pointing me to this thread.

As far as I'm concerned, there is NO better paint than SEM Bumper Coater for interior plastic.

I painted my gauge cluster, along with all the "champagne" colored trim inside (door handles included) and it still looks like the day I painted it:

shifter.JPG

steeringcolumn.jpg

gauges.JPG

See the mileage on that last pic? Add 40,000 miles to it; that's what I'm at now. The paint still looks like new.

You can buy SEM paints at body shop supply houses. If you can't find one, go to a good, friendly body shop and see if they'll order it for you. It's about $8 a can, but worth EVERY penny. I think I used Titanium Metallic. I also got a can of clear, and put on a few good coats of that, too.

The object is to spray LIGHTLY - just dust each part. After a few coats, you'll get full coverage. I painted all my parts with at least 5 coats of paint and 3 of clear - but by spraying very lightly, you can re-coat in 10 minutes. I did all the pieces on a friday afternoon, then let them sit indoors until Sunday before re-installing, to make sure the paint cured fully.

SEM - there is NONE better.

Feel free to hit me up if you need any help.

~HH

I didn't use any primer at all.

I just sanded the parts very lightly with 220 grit to remove any oils, etc. Then wiped them with alcohol to get all the dust and impurities off, then sprayed away.

The only part I DID really sand was the e-brake trim (see the first pic I posted). It's textured like the surrounding plastic, and I made it smooth. It was freaking pain in the ass - I'd suggest using a plastic filler (maybe bondo would work?) to fill in the grain, then sanding. Completely sanding the grain out of it took a lot of work.

~HH

Back