Painted my rotors - Bye Rust!

I was getting tired of looking at the rust through my beautiful Racing Harts so I painted my rotor hubs with silver high-temp engine paint. The backs were getting bad so I did them first. I will eventually get to the fronts.

Here is a picture:

172670_34_full.jpg

I just got back from a 5 hour trip to Chicago where I drove through a massive rain storm. My front wheels were caked in brake dust sludge. This is the first time I had this happen on any car I owned. I am going to have to get some spray on wheel cleaner that won't damage my wheels. Maybe some more P21.

Some loser in Chicago stole my chrome valve stem caps. That is just low. I think they are like $2 at K-Mart.

looks nice. your dealer will do it for free if you ask, but i think the silver looks better.

My vavle stems got stolen the first week i had my car. i just left them off, that way no lil punks go near my car.

Beautiful! I wish I could do that myself but dang it i don't have long enough power cords for my dremel...

The dealers are SUPPOSED to do that for you, but I've been unlucky so far. I'm still working on getting them to do it for me...

also, i found some dudes sweet lookin chrome valve stem caps so now i have an extra set! :D

jk man :p

how did you just paint the hub? did you use a paintbrush? or mask off the car and rotor? or take the rotor off and paint it that way?

Actually it is much easier than all of that. I just waited for a very non-windy day. I used a brass brissled brush (say that 3 times fast) to get off the rust and then I just sprayed on the paint to the rotor with it still on the car. I really should have used the rust killing gunk and then primered it and then painted it but I will probably just upgrade to slotted nickle plated rotors in the future so I don't care if I just touch these up once a year. I painted the rotors on my Miata and they are still nice after 2 years.

Just spray the hub and don't worry about getting paint on the surface of the rotor because it will wear off on the first application of the brakes. The paint dries very fast so do about 3 coats to make sure the rust is hidden. If you get paint on the car, you can use a claybar and some soapy solution to get rid of it.

Just a word of caution. I took off my Racing Harts and there was some rust developing in the in the center of the wheel so I cleaned it and put the rust killing stuff in there to ward off anymore destruction. You might want to check it out on yours.

Good luck!

JonnyMiata said:
I was getting tired of looking at the rust through my beautiful Racing Harts so I painted my rotor hubs with silver high-temp engine paint. The backs were getting bad so I did them first. I will eventually get to the fronts.

Looks awesome! In my opinion, silver is one of the only colors you can paint brake rotors without looking like a ricer. That is of course unless you have a real big brake kit (aka Brembo with red calipers)

JonnyMiata said:
Just spray the hub and don't worry about getting paint on the surface of the rotor because it will wear off on the first application of the brakes.

heh, yeah , i figured that would happen, just wanted to make sure

Just a word of caution. I took off my Racing Harts and there was some rust developing in the in the center of the wheel so I cleaned it and put the rust killing stuff in there to ward off anymore destruction. You might want to check it out on yours.

Good luck!

thanks for the heads up man

There is a Technical service bulletin that says the dealer should fix any rust on the brake rotors.

It tells them to sand and paint them, or to replace them if they cannot be fixed satifactory.

I am going to wait until mine get really rusty, and then try to get new rotors. Then maybe get new pads also.

Tim

One more tip: Release the emergency brake so you can turn the rotors to make painting easier. Many of you probably already know this but you never know. :p

i dont want the dealer doing anything. i hate the dealership, i can do this s*** myself :D

lol about emergency brake :p

Dexter said:
i dont want the dealer doing anything. i hate the dealership, i can do this s*** myself :D

lol about emergency brake :p

Not only that, but it takes me an hour and a half just to get to my dealership. I'll just do it myself.

Does anyone know the TSB # for fixing the rotors..?
Has anyone's dealers done this work yet...I might go see if they'll do mine as long as I have some ammo to back me up..

Back