paddle shift on CX-5

It's really not that hard. This is a link to the Russian language site I used, and by using Google translator I was able glean enough to figure it out.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/5660413/

After a month, I'm loving have the option of using the paddles. Definitely worth it IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks star for the update. FYI the links you posted are then same. I'm still hoping someone other then me is willing to be the guinea pig for getting this mod done to the CX-5. I just don't have the time or funds right know to blow on parts that only "may" work. I hope that the wiring is the same between the 6 and the CX-5 by I can't confirm. I sure would love playing with paddle shifters. Now that I'm past 1000mi I've been playing more in the sport mode and manual shift mode and really liking it. If anyone is good at hypnotism, please work your magic on my wife to allow lowering springs and paddle shifter mod!!!

This is something I want to do but will NOT buy a le carte from the steelership. Love to find a kit or something.

Last edited:
Well then. Perhaps you should boogie on down to your dealer and buy 2! Lol

I'm guessing you meant stealership not "steelership" (or maybe that's what they call them in Pittsburgh), but since I didn't "boogie on down" to my local dealer the first time, I probably wouldn't do it for a 2nd car either. My local dealer wanted $257 for the parts, however from an online Mazda dealer I got them for $186, a saving of $71. One would have added state sales tax and the other shipping, so pretty much a wash there.

from the Russian site: "make sure to hold SRS front side facing away, so that in case it deploys it doesn't hit you on the stomach"

from the Russian site: "make sure to hold SRS front side facing away, so that in case it deploys it doesn't hit you on the stomach"

And the Russian site shows a single connector while we (at least in the U.S.) have two connectors side-by-side. I actually had the airbag off twice. Once to see what was required and order parts, and again to do the mod. It took a bit of time to hit those 3 spring releases just right the first time, but it wasn't a problem.

I love that with the paddles I can have the cruise control set, and going down a steep grade all I have to do is flick the up shift paddle to hold 6th gear. It will stay in 6th (and depending on the steepness of the hill, will increase speed) until the terrain levels out and then switch back to full auto mode. Otherwise the trans would downshift to maintain whatever speed had been set.

Seeing as svshooting start retrofitted the Mazda6 for paddle shifters, has anyone attempted to the retrofit on the CX-5 yet? We have the list of parts, we know where to get them, but we don't know for sure it works on the CX-5 yet. Is the 2016 CX-5 going to be different then the earlier years?

The paddles themselves are nothing more than a prettier, fancier version of a couple of cheap hardware store momentary switches and are only an extension of what you are doing with the gear lever in the manual mode. In fact, if you were handy with wiring and a wiring schematic (and you didn't care what it looked like) you could do this whole mod for under $10. Being that the CX-5 has the same shift lever manual mode, and operates exactly as the Mazda 6, I can't imagine that it wouldn't be as simple a plug-n-play as it was for me. Good luck.

Paddle Shift on 2016 CX-5 GT
20069747793_93a4c3b0f4_b_d.jpg

20502138308_d8977ebeaa_b_d.jpg

The paddle shifters would be nice once you change the suspension up and can pull some really sharp power on cornering, instead of having one hand on the stick to shift it. But the manual ebrake is lost on the 2016.

Great to see this (considering I just bought all the parts to perform the mod. and am awaiting shipment now).

Fahrenheit, since your car is a 2016 it might be more prepared for paddle shift, so here are a couple of questions:

did your steering wheel have all 4 holes(to attach paddle shifters) drilled and threaded allready from factory?

What about wiring between lower clockspring and start/stop unit, did you have to add this or was it installed from factory?

Paddle Shift on 2016 CX-5 GT
20069747793_93a4c3b0f4_b_d.jpg

20502138308_d8977ebeaa_b_d.jpg
Sweet! Any chance you are in the mood to do a full on How-to for this mod? Steps needed, parts needed, with part numbers that sort of thing. I would love to add paddle shifters to the car just for the fun of it. Forget what the wife says about costs at the moment, this is my car! God I want to this so bad it hurts right now.

Back