P5 Almost Problemless

I have had my P5 since I bought it new in July 2003. I bought it after reading a great review in Car and Driver magazine. I was not let down. It is a great little car, maybe the best I have ever owned -- and my first car was a 1954 Packard Panama Super Clipper back in the day.

I have developed two problems recently and I wanted to see if anyone else had them and what they did about them. The problems:
1. On a ride from my home in TN to SC my air conditioner seemed to lose cooling power and a leak of water was noticed in front passenger foot well.
2. My driver side power window buzzes when I use key or fob, and do not open driver side window. All other windows are opened when key or fob is used.

They are the only problems I have experienced in 5 years with the exception of a warped brake rotor (maybe I had to slam on the brakes once or twice to avoid confrontations with Johnny Law).

Anyone have some experiences similar to mine?

(bang)

I have had my P5 since I bought it new in July 2003. I bought it after reading a great review in Car and Driver magazine. I was not let down. It is a great little car, maybe the best I have ever owned -- and my first car was a 1954 Packard Panama Super Clipper back in the day.

I have developed two problems recently and I wanted to see if anyone else had them and what they did about them. The problems:
1. On a ride from my home in TN to SC my air conditioner seemed to lose cooling power and a leak of water was noticed in front passenger foot well.
2. My driver side power window buzzes when I use key or fob, and do not open driver side window. All other windows are opened when key or fob is used.

They are the only problems I have experienced in 5 years with the exception of a warped brake rotor (maybe I had to slam on the brakes once or twice to avoid confrontations with Johnny Law).

(bang)

1. Get your A/C checked out, it may just need a charge if its loosing cooling power. Water under the Passenger Front is normal. Theres a vent from the A/C condensor and it just vents out water that is created when the A/C is turned on out onto the ground.

2. You can control your power windows via remote fob? cool! but I think you mean Power Locks? If it buzzes it could be the noise from the motor. Either the acuating rod is disconnected and not allowing it to unlock or the motor is pooched. Best way is just open it up and took a look and see whats happening when you are unlock and locking it manually and electronically.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you have enjoyed your P5. Tell us a little more about it...no mods, I assume? You'll want to change that the longer you hang around here! Glad you found us.(headbang)

If the A/C recovered and it was just water, not coolant, you probably just froze up your A/C. If you run any A/C for too long on a high setting, it can freeze up, stop cooling and then as it thaws it will leak condensation. That would explain the water dripping in the passenger compartment. If it was coolant, it's your heater core and you're screwed, but if that were the case your car would smell strongly of coolant and your A/C would not cool at all.

I don't understand your second question...maybe I'm missing something but the key and the fob have nothing to do with window operation. If you mean the door lock, it may be that you just need a new actuator. Clarify the problem a bit and I'm sure we can help you out. Also, search around a little, you may find the answer. Once again, Welcome!

1. Get your A/C checked out, it may just need a charge if its loosing cooling power. Water under the Passenger Front is normal. Theres a vent from the A/C condensor and it just vents out water that is created when the A/C is turned on out onto the ground.

Try again, AC just doesn lose freeon. It leaks out. if its small leak maybe a little freeon with stopleak will fix it.

Same here. I've not had any problems at all. Glazed brake rotors, but I'm guessing that's my fault after I got new brake pads. And too many headlight bulbs burning out.

(bang)

My ac can loose cooling on long trips when its been set to maximum cool and a low fan speed. The coil just freezes over I can always fix it by cranking the fan and turning up the temperature which thaws the coil and its good as new again.

Thanks everybody. I thought one problem with A/C might have been the freezing. We had been traveling for about 8 hrs. straight.

Forgive the old man for thinking door lock and writing window. Does any one have a tech manual showing proper way to take off the inside door panel? I just want to hurt BlueMax.

Thanks again everybody. I am real happy to be on this web for people who love the Protoge 5.

Joe McD

The only major thing I had was a couple of weeks ago my alternator took a dump at 60K...not a common problem at all...other then that just various light bulbs, vaccum leaks

I've been looking at getting another car and it's pretty tough to meet my criteria for an automobile without getting into pricing problems. For being the car that it is, the p5 is pretty much badassness.

Back