P5 2003 - Won't Start

kri

I drove the car around today, pumped some gas, then parked. Couple of hours later, tried starting and it but all it does is a clicking sound from the passengers side (airbag). Radio works, lights work.. battery seems fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Just because the radio and lights seem to work, does not mean the battery has sufficient charge to turn the starter. Try jump-starting the car--if that works, then the problem is probably the battery. If it doesn't, then it's probably the starter.

Basically, it's my shifter.. (automatic).. for some reason it does not properly sets to "Park" so I had to start it in neutral... =/

Basically, it's my shifter.. (automatic).. for some reason it does not properly sets to "Park" so I had to start it in neutral... =/

So what did you finally do to fix the problem?
Did you have to replace the switch?

There is a switch (two actually) to ensure the car is in either 'park' or 'Neutral' by interupting the starting circuit.

Either fix the switch or keep it as-is ( as an anti-theft 'feature' - OOooh ;) )

never heard that b4. at least its an easyfix

Having the exact issues now...have to use neutral sometimes to start. Heat is also a catalyst, typically the issue arises after a long drive then a short park. If the neutral thing doesn't work time does, once cooled ~30 miins it will start up.

Time to call for a new switch....

My wife's 03P5 auto is having the exact same problem.
Sometimes she turns the key and nothing happens, just the clicking coming from the glove box area.
The first time, she called me at work, I told her to put it into neutral and try it - it started right up.
For the next couple of weeks it didn't show this problem.
The next time it acted up, she tried the neutral thing, but this time it made no difference.
She called me, I went over and it started right up for me.
I noticed a lot of corrosion on the battery terminals, so I cleaned them up shiny and new.
I did a load test on the battery and it is good.
It's been over a week now and it still starts good.
I put it up on ramps today to take a look at the starter and maybe clean the contacts on it as well.
My God !! How do you guys work on the starter ??!??
I see it, but I can barely get my hands on it, let alone get a wrench in there to undo the wires.
I read on this forum that people change the starters all the time... how do you do it.
I can only see one mounting bolt and I suspect there is another or possibly two on the other side of the starter.
Right now, all I wanted to do was clean the wire contacts.
But if I had to remove it, how do you guys do it??
Thanks

Having the exact issues now...have to use neutral sometimes to start. Heat is also a catalyst, typically the issue arises after a long drive then a short park. If the neutral thing doesn't work time does, once cooled ~30 miins it will start up.

Time to call for a new switch....

Well after reading Stealthbob's post above, I decided to test that theory.
This problem only seems to happen to my wife every few weeks and I thought maybe she doesn't drive it long enough to get that hot to affect the switch.
So, in the car we both get and drive for 45 minutes down the highway to a restaurant.
Sure enough, I turn off the car and try to start it again, nothing.
Put it in neutral, starts right up.
Try again in Park, nothing.
Try again in neutral, starts right up.
I did this 4 times and each time in Park it would not turn over, but it worked every time in neutral.
We went into the restaurant for about 45 minutes, came out and it started right up in Park.
I guess it cooled down enough.
I drove 5 minutes to a butchery and tried immediately to start it again and it would not turn over in Park.
I also noticed something really neat...
The shift position indicator on the dash has a square box indicator that lights up around whatever gear you are in.
When I am in Park, and there is no box indicator around it, then I know that it is not going to turn over because the starter is not going to be getting any power.
You shift to neutral, the box appears, and you know you will be able to start.
I put it back in Park, no box... I wait, and wait, and wait, suddenly the box appears around the "P" and I know that I can now start the car.
So, it appears that the problem is not the starter, or the battery, or corrosion, or the cables as we were all guessing.
It is the Transaxle Range Switch located in the engine compartment under the breather that is affected with the heat of the engine.
Thanks Stealthbob, you were bang on.
Now I just have to figure out how to change this thing.

Last edited:
Back