P0300 code 2010 MS3

I have a 2010 MS3 that I got in Nov 09. It has 8,000 miles on it. Today the CEL came on. First of all, my local dealer wouldn't even check the code because they aren't a speed dealer! They suggested I drive 2 hours to the nearest dealer. Anyway, I went to Advanced, they ran the code and it's a P0300 random multiple cylinder misfire. Looked it up on the forums and I am thinking there are a few things it could be...plugs, wires, bad gas, egr, and someone suggested re-flash the PCM. The question is should I drive the 2 hours to let the dealership look at it or should I try things myself first. Dont want to void warranty but also dont want to miss work and waste a day sitting at the dealership. Comments? Suggestions?

Although I have no input on what it could be, I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the gas that I pumped. I took it to the dealer and they gave me a bill and said that it wasnt covered due to the fact that I pumped the gas. So I took it to the place where I got the gas. They gave me a hard time but ended up paying for the repairs and gave me a little extra to keep me quite. The place was putting diesel in with there premium gas.

Random multiple cylinder misfires usually means an ignition coil or fuel injectors have gone bad. Being that you only have 8k, I would suspect neither of those, and assume you have been using bad gas. Does your car shake at idle or "hesitate" when you accelerate?

if you search for misfires you will find that the earlier model years with our motors as well as all direct injected motors have an issue with carbon build up on the valves. there are several ways to clean them, and im sure if you look you can find them. this happened to me with 5200 miles and my first real trip, but i think i got it fixed.

Not a speed dealer? What the hell does that mean? If they are a Mazda dealer, they should work on all Mazda. That's BS if you ask me (previous mechanic at a dealership). Possibility that it may just be a ECM reflash, or possible coil. Low oil level can also set a P0300. Highly doubt that carbon build up would have anything to do with it at that mileage.

That's some BS. Never would have thought this. Thanks for the post. Still don't quite understand the reasoning behind it though. Sounds a bit ridiculous to me, not to mention a reason to charge extra for "specialization". I worked for a cadillac dealership. You were expected to know all engines including the V-series and be able to work on them and diagnose, no matter what.

Back