One week comparisons - MS3 vs GTI

I raced a GTI the other night that was stock except for tint, HIDs, and springs. Are they still 1.8T? It def looks more aggressive than the MS3 and like you said, most people don't even give me a second look on the road or in the parking lot. The thing was faster than I imagined, but still beat him by a few lengths from a 30-100 pull. It looks like it handled incredibly well through the traffic circles though. I don't know, I still can't say I think the handling of the MS3 is as good as everyone says it is. Coming from a dropped Integra the MS3 still kinda feels a bit like a minivan, but the Integra is one of the best handling cars ever made (yes, so is the Miata) so my judgement is biased. Hopefully I will think the handling is just as nice when I throw some roadmagnet springs on next year.

Glad you like the Mazdaspeed3!!

Integra being the best handling car ever made? I'm not trying to be mean, but it seems like you have the stiff car syndrome. Just because a car is very stiff (lowered) and has no body role does not do anything with the handleing. Two perfect examples is the EVO X and the new R35 GTR. Every reviewer says it has a good bit more body roll (the minivan feel) but when you actually take it out on the track, it pulls much better G's and actually gets much better time. Stiff is not always better.

To clear things up, I said one of the best, not the best, but ask people who auto x and 2 of their favorites over the years have been the integra and miata. Personally I loved the way it handled, it went wherever I wanted it to without putting up a fight and always held on, especially on tight backroads at high speeds. My MS3 doesnt do nearly as well on the tight twisties.

Not bashing the MS3, I love my new car, just defending my statement.

I have autocrossed in the mx-5 and the speed6 speed3, and even the cx-7. just for fun. But the best times I ever got were in the mx-5 with the speed3 just less than a second behind it. I mean, it was very very close times. the MX-5 was stiff, low, and handle great, and the speed3 had a good bit more body roll, and I really couldn't believe how close I got to the mx-5 times.

I would have to argue that onthe tight twisties, the speed3 has handles almost as good as the mx-5/miata, it just doesn't feel like it does. With some proper heal/toeing, you might be surprised by the times you get with the mazdaspeed3.

I'm not bashing any car, I just think alot of people have the mentality that if a car is very low and very stiff, that it would handle like a dream. That is just not the case when it comes to pulling g's

I'm not bashing any car, I just think alot of people have the mentality that if a car is very low and very stiff, that it would handle like a dream. That is just not the case when it comes to pulling g's

+1

Ok, on a billiard table smooth racetrack(without high curbs) or auto-xing (like in lestat's case), it will hold true, no question about it. But at least in my part of the world, the roads are far from smooth, and usually have their fair share of bumps/poor design, and you need some suspension travel to keep having tire grip, otherwise the wheel would just bounce off the bump and be airborne, where it's useless.

i traded in a 2006 MX5 for my MS3. the MX5 is definitely faster in the twistys, but the MX5 had better go home everywhere else!!

I test drove the GTI before I settled on the MS3. I really liked the GTI's fit and finish as well as DSG. My criteria was that I needed a four door hatch and in this market, the MS3 became an obvious choice for value as well as reliability ratings. Coming from an Audi A6, reliability was a major concern and as much as I really loved the GTI, I just couldn't handle going down the VAG road again.

I should also mention that the VW dealer didn't let me 'test' the car anywhere near it's potential while the Mazda dealer encouraged me to. For me, this made the sale.

Also on the subject of cornering, if you haven't yet checked out the YouTube video of a Porsche Boxter chasing a modified MS3, definitely give it a look.

To clear things up, I said one of the best, not the best, but ask people who auto x and 2 of their favorites over the years have been the integra and miata. Personally I loved the way it handled, it went wherever I wanted it to without putting up a fight and always held on, especially on tight backroads at high speeds. My MS3 doesnt do nearly as well on the tight twisties.

Not bashing the MS3, I love my new car, just defending my statement.
I think it is generally agreed in the racing world that the Teggie is maybe the best balanced handling sport compact! with the double wishbone and what not.

Thanks gti/ ms3

The head to head comparo. Wow to have both cars and the M to use as a metric. Thanks for the good read

I bought my MS3 to use as a work beater and to share track time with my 318ti Club Sport. I had considered a GTI but the Louisville VW dealers don't like to special order cars and no one in their service departments possess opposable thumbs. The MS3 is fast on the track but I don't find it all that enjoyable to drive at or near the limit. I still kick myself for selling my pristine 1988 M6, so I'll run the MS3 for a while longer until I can financially justify another ///M car fix.

Back