On the Fence: MZ5 or CX9???

ive never been in a cx9, but the cx7 is soooo much smaller than the 5 inside. sure, it is turboed... but both my wife and i hit our head when trying to get inside. and head room was less than the 5.

i think 5 all the way. cheaper, and sliding doors are so nice with kids.

i might be biased though.

ive never been in a cx9, but the cx7 is soooo much smaller than the 5 inside. sure, it is turboed... but both my wife and i hit our head when trying to get inside. and head room was less than the 5.

i think 5 all the way. cheaper, and sliding doors are so nice with kids.

i might be biased though.

+1 on the lack of roominess in the CX7 compared to the 5. It feels cramped compared to the 5. But it definitely has zoom zoom.

Update:

I got a quote for a little under $23k for a new 2010 MZ5 GT with DVD. Price includes everything but taxes and registration.

Is this a good deal?

Depending on if there are any other options installed you may be able to do a little better, but would also depend on regional competition.

I haven't bought my 5 yet but am looking around $21.2 for a base GT. I didn't really care for how the DVD was configured in the one I looked at (bad viewing angle from the second row) so I'll probably install an aftermarket system in a few years when my kid gets to that point. Should be able to get DVD and NAV in the aftermarket for what Mazda wants for a DVD.

I'm 95% certain I'll be going with a 2010 MZ5. But can someone please point out the major differences between the 2010 and the 2011 besides the body shape and position of the tail lights, i.e. transmission difference, MPG, power sliding doors option, cost, etc.

Thank you!

Update:

I got a quote for a little under $23k for a new 2010 MZ5 GT with DVD. Price includes everything but taxes and registration.

Is this a good deal?
There is currently a $500 cash back offer as well as three years 0% financing and three months of no payment.

Is the GT worth $23K, or $6,500 more than the '10 Sport which I'm seeing advertised at $16,500? I don't think so, but then again I have one of those $16,500 Sports which I bought a year ago with no money down and 0% interest for three years.

Is that 16.5 with Auto? If you compare apples to apples I've found that the true price difference between a Sport with auto and popular equipment package and a base GT is about 3000. Would I have paid 6500 more for the GT, hell no. But 3000 seemed about right, I really did want Xenon headlights and I liked the taillights enough that I was already considering the Touring. While I do plan on replacing my stereo down the road I do appreciate having integrated Bluetooth right out of the gate since my home state just enacted a cell phone ban and I don't want to deal with those goofy earpieces.

Here's my biased opinion. :)

If its only for daily drive, people mover car, and bound to be handed down to
the new young drivers in the Family. I would go GS.

But if is to be 'my car', my 'daily drive' and I'll be spending time with it in the garage washing and waxing and admiring it, with friends come summer weekends, I would go for a GT.

I'm still to hear from a poster who wished he got a GS instead of a GT. On the other hand I have read posters looking for side sills, or sunroof add-ons..

My Wifey requires leather seats, AT, Xenon headlights, TCS, and room to hold a double-stroller (that's where the roof topper comes in handy). Must be a GT, besides, I have a MS3 GT, therefore she must have a GT. What's good for the gander...

Last edited:
I'm 95% certain I'll be going with a 2010 MZ5. But can someone please point out the major differences between the 2010 and the 2011 besides the body shape and position of the tail lights, i.e. transmission difference, MPG, power sliding doors option, cost, etc.

Thank you!

the powertrain for the 2011 is still up in the air here. all the specs given sound like the european model. so basically, you will have to wait a little while to find out the north american specs on the 2011 5.

American Sport is the Canadian GS. Not too many options besides the auto tranny on the GS (no wheels, skirts, spoiler, sunroof, cruise?, nav, leather, etc.
The key to choosing the right 5 in America is to begin with the transmission. If you plan on getting the automatic, it is included in the purchase of the touring/grand touring, but extra cost on the sport.

Adding auto trans and extra cost options that are n/c in other trim levels erodes the price advantage of the Sport, IMO

MZ247 Friends,

After much deliberation and very little negotiation, we chose a 2010 Mazda 5 GT in Liquid Silver and DVD Entertainment for the kids. Not black, like she wanted, but it'll do. To special order a black one now, would take us through July for delivery. (Besides, black is just too freakin' hot in the desert of CA. She'll thank me later.) Not sure final cost, but based on previous quotes it'll be less than $24K before taxes and registration.

I appreciate everyone's input. I can still find an offer that's cheaper with the same options and the dealer I'm using will still beat that offer up to two weeks after delivery. I'm happy about the purchase for several reasons. $6-10K cheaper than a CX9, Ford Flex, or Chevy Traverse (depending on trim levels we were looking at). Better potential gas mileage than any of those. Easier to wash. Replacement tires are cheaper. Easier to park. I could potentially put my MS3 engine in it, if I get rear-ended or T-boned in my MS3 (not that I want that to happen, but I'm just saying). Has better entry for the rear passengers (sliding doors). And it'll be cool to have two Mazda's parked in our front yard, showing loyalty to those great builders in Hiroshima (which translates to... driving to one dealership for services). Now I must find a used SCCA race-ready Mazdaspeed MX5 and used RX8, never too early to go car shopping for the kids. Perhaps if those cars are sitting in the garage, it'll motivate them to do well in school. Pix of our new Mz5 will be added some time in May. That is our current scheduled delivery date as she's probably still molten steel right now. ZOOM ZOOM for LIFE!

Congrats bud and welcome to the 2010 Mazda 5 club.... we love our 2010 copper mica so far. The mileage started to improve around 5500miles so don't get too discouraged at first. Either way, out the door its better than EPA's numbers.

MZ247 Friends,

After much deliberation and very little negotiation, we chose a 2010 Mazda 5 GT in Liquid Silver and DVD Entertainment for the kids. Not black, like she wanted, but it'll do. To special order a black one now, would take us through July for delivery. (Besides, black is just too freakin' hot in the desert of CA. She'll thank me later.) Not sure final cost, but based on previous quotes it'll be less than $24K before taxes and registration.

I appreciate everyone's input. I can still find an offer that's cheaper with the same options and the dealer I'm using will still beat that offer up to two weeks after delivery. I'm happy about the purchase for several reasons. $6-10K cheaper than a CX9, Ford Flex, or Chevy Traverse (depending on trim levels we were looking at). Better potential gas mileage than any of those. Easier to wash. Replacement tires are cheaper. Easier to park. I could potentially put my MS3 engine in it, if I get rear-ended or T-boned in my MS3 (not that I want that to happen, but I'm just saying). Has better entry for the rear passengers (sliding doors). And it'll be cool to have two Mazda's parked in our front yard, showing loyalty to those great builders in Hiroshima (which translates to... driving to one dealership for services). Now I must find a used SCCA race-ready Mazdaspeed MX5 and used RX8, never too early to go car shopping for the kids. Perhaps if those cars are sitting in the garage, it'll motivate them to do well in school. Pix of our new Mz5 will be added some time in May. That is our current scheduled delivery date as she's probably still molten steel right now. ZOOM ZOOM for LIFE!

How much did the DVD cost you? Even though Mazda's site lists it as a 1200 retail option for a new purchase, the dealer I went to wanted to charge me about 2k for it. 1000 For the player, 300 for the install kit, 700 for installation, approximately. They lost my sale due to that on a 2010 GT w/Nav.

Back