Ok car audio geniuses, put together my system!

got wake? said:
unless you are going to mount the tweeters far away from the mids, TA is not a necessity. even when they are mounted far away, it's not always a good thing to use TA.

Were do you have your tweets mounted Wake? Actually I'm interested in were you have all three drivers placed.

Also, approximately how big is the PXA-H701?

i've got my tweeters mounted in my a-pillars. i had the domes and mid-bass drivers mounted in door pods, but i pulled them out when i pulled out the wall in the back of my truck. i'm redoing the wall, and i'm thinking about putting the domes in the dash.

10 3/16" x 6 1/4" and 1 9/16" tall.

got wake? said:
i've got my tweeters mounted in my a-pillars. i had the domes and mid-bass drivers mounted in door pods, but i pulled them out when i pulled out the wall in the back of my truck. i'm redoing the wall, and i'm thinking about putting the domes in the dash.

10 3/16" x 6 1/4" and 1 9/16" tall.

Sweet, thanks for looking that up. How may i ask are the tweets aimed and how close to the dash are they?

I'm still trying to figure out where my Iridiums are gonna go. I could put the mids in kicks but then I will have to relocate the fuse box and there isn't much room anyway. I could put them right above the midbass drivers in the door but then I think the stage will be to biased. The tweeters will prolly go in the stock locations but I could fit them in the door also. You just don't see many competition quality systems with all the speakers in the doors. They are always in kicks or in the dash.

fusebox has a nifty little spot right directly behind wher eit bolts down that oyu cna tuck it back.

FoxPro5 said:
Sweet, thanks for looking that up. How may i ask are the tweets aimed and how close to the dash are they?

the tweeters are facing each other. they aren't as low on the a-pillars as i'd like, but since the only play above 6.3 khz, i don't have reflection problems from the dash and windshield.

Poseur said:
dashmids... Toomany thoughts of that GTI runnin through your head eH?

i've seen a few installs that i liked with the mids in the dash, but the domes are f'in huge. i haven't had a chance to hear any with dash mounted domes yet, but i think i'll give it a shot.

The domes (from what I hear) are great dash speakers because of their off axis response. Even if they fire straight up they sound fabulous. I just don't have the balls to hack apart my dash. If someone posted a how-to I might consider it (hint-hint).

chuyler1 said:
The domes (from what I hear) are great dash speakers because of their off axis response. Even if they fire straight up they sound fabulous. I just don't have the balls to hack apart my dash. If someone posted a how-to I might consider it (hint-hint).

i'm contemplating pods rather than hacking apart my dash(rockon) i just don't have time to remove my dash and hack it apart before SBN.

but yeah, the off-axis performance is amazing with the domes. i used to have them down in the door panel facing each other and they sounded great, but the stage depth wasn't all that great.

got wake? said:
but yeah, the off-axis performance is amazing with the domes. i used to have them down in the door panel facing each other and they sounded great, but the stage depth wasn't all that great.

Are you referring to the DLS domes that come as part of the 3 way Iridium set, or domes in general.

And what is the difference between a dome midrange and just a regular ole midrange (other than shape?)

FoxPro5 said:
Are you referring to the DLS domes that come as part of the 3 way Iridium set, or domes in general.

And what is the difference between a dome midrange and just a regular ole midrange (other than shape?)

well, domes in general offer excellent off axis performance. the cone mid-ranges direct the sound and need to be precisely aimed. domes have a much wider dispersion pattern and don't require a lot of aiming. plus most domes are 2-3", so they play higher freqs better than 4" or 5.25" midranges, so the bulk of vocals will be played through the domes. with that you won't get the usual problems associated with installing your tweeters away from the mids.

got wake? said:
well, domes in general offer excellent off axis performance. the cone mid-ranges direct the sound and need to be precisely aimed. domes have a much wider dispersion pattern and don't require a lot of aiming. plus most domes are 2-3", so they play higher freqs better than 4" or 5.25" midranges, so the bulk of vocals will be played through the domes. with that you won't get the usual problems associated with installing your tweeters away from the mids.

Got it. So where would you recommend to mount them...next to the tweets?

I'd like to mount the tweets about an inch above the dash (Pro 5) and the midbass will go in the doors. I have some prefab kicks than be utilized for the domes and/or midranges and the tweets together if needed. Thoughts?

I think the DRZ9255 is the best solution out there. Granted it only has a 10 band PEQ instead of a 30 band GEQ but you can do quite a bit with 10 bands. Compared with the high end choices from Alpine, Pioneer, and Nak the Clarion has the most realistic and deepest sound stage. I'm considering this URAL unit but my heart still lies with Clarion.

got_wake, so you mounted your domes in kicks and weren't satisfied with them? I'm tossing between placing them in kicks or placing them just above the drivers in the door...but w/o time alignment I'm afraid puting them in the doors will make them too near-side biased. Any thoughts?

DLS has several dome midranges and there are a handfull of other companies that make them too. Think of the domes like mid-tweeters instead of mid-woofers. 4" speakers don't really compliment 6.5" speakers because the 6.5" can play everything in the 4" range in addition to the lower midbass. The domes however do a better job playing the higher range where a 6.5" or 4" driver starts to get harsh but a standard tweeter still cannot produce. The only usefulness I see to a 3-way set with a 4" is to find better placement for the mids (for example, you want kickpanels but can't fit a 6.5" driver there) but now that domes are more affordable...I'll prolly never go back.

Poseur said:
3-way active is ALOT of work anywhich way you slice it.

As i am now learning [pulls hair out in clumps]...feel like i need a degree in EE or something....phasing, notches, 2nd order, comb filters...aaaaaaaaaaaaa :laugh:

chuyler1 said:
I think the DRZ9255 is the best solution out there. Granted it only has a 10 band PEQ instead of a 30 band GEQ but you can do quite a bit with 10 bands. Compared with the high end choices from Alpine, Pioneer, and Nak the Clarion has the most realistic and deepest sound stage. I'm considering this URAL unit but my heart still lies with Clarion.

got_wake, so you mounted your domes in kicks and weren't satisfied with them? I'm tossing between placing them in kicks or placing them just above the drivers in the door...but w/o time alignment I'm afraid puting them in the doors will make them too near-side biased. Any thoughts?

DLS has several dome midranges and there are a handfull of other companies that make them too. Think of the domes like mid-tweeters instead of mid-woofers. 4" speakers don't really compliment 6.5" speakers because the 6.5" can play everything in the 4" range in addition to the lower midbass. The domes however do a better job playing the higher range where a 6.5" or 4" driver starts to get harsh but a standard tweeter still cannot produce. The only usefulness I see to a 3-way set with a 4" is to find better placement for the mids (for example, you want kickpanels but can't fit a 6.5" driver there) but now that domes are more affordable...I'll prolly never go back.

Yes many choises out there. Would it make sense to try and mate materials together...soft dome mids with soft dome tweets, for example?

What do you all have in your cars right now BTW??

Kicker ss56.2 5" components tweets coaxially mounted in kicks (when I get off my ass and finish them, for now they're sitting on rag-piles. These are seperated with the stock passive crossover setup and after a couple of lowtech failed attempts at active, I expect them to stay this way as they sound damn good and I like it. ss8mb 8" midbass in the doors. I'm working on building a passive crossover for the 8's But at the moment, I'm just bi-amping the setup. I use my deck's high-pass to the 56.2's to 200hz with a 6db/o slope. the 8's are low-passed from my amp to wherever it sounds best (as close as I can get with such a crude setup, but I'd assume it to be somewhere around 140hz at 18db/o. 8's are high-passed from my deck at 63hz, 18db/o. I'll admit I use SOME limited time alignment, mostly because I can.

VERY crude, and audiocontrol is in my future, but I've yet to decide on exactly what form. For the time being things are sounding pretty good. So far it's the best I can do with what I've got. (well short of finishing up my damn kicks already) I really need to stir up some more soundlove for my car. Been mostly just kinda sitting back and enjoying my new wharfdale home speakers lately.

Last edited:
FoxPro5 said:
Got it. So where would you recommend to mount them...next to the tweets?

I'd like to mount the tweets about an inch above the dash (Pro 5) and the midbass will go in the doors. I have some prefab kicks than be utilized for the domes and/or midranges and the tweets together if needed. Thoughts?

the problem i had was that the domes weren't far enough forward, since my truck doesn't really have much for kick panels, so i mounted them in the doors.

with domes that play up above 6 khz, there isn't the need to mount them next to the tweets. scott buwalda and keith doney both had their domes mounted in kicks and the tweeters in the a-pillars and both their systems sounded amazing.

Back