Oil wear - Short trips vs. Extended driving

MD5

:
06 Carbon Gray Touring 5
I was kind of shocked when I checked my oil after a 2,800+ mile roadtrip from Dallas/Ft Worth to Chesapeake VA and back.

The oil was still transparent and relatively clean for almost 3k miles. I was expecting it to be much darker with that many miles, because I change my oil with Mobil1 5w20 every 4k miles.

I was going to take a pic, but the light was horrible and it will turn out much better tomorrow.

Matt

I suppose thats a good thing....

perhaps you have changed some other things like a new gas station or other driving habits?

modern engines have a tendency to be easier on motor oils. plus using mobil 1 helps tremendously, as it has better longevity.

I suppose thats a good thing....

perhaps you have changed some other things like a new gas station or other driving habits?

I used BP, Exxon, Pilot, Travel America, and whatever gas station was available.

I went 2,800 plus miles at about 27 mpg, so that's about 103 gallons of gas.

Sorry I haven't gotten around to this until now, but been busy.

This is after an additional 300 miles or so from returning home, so it's well over 3,200 miles on this oil change.

Not too shabby:

you will also notice that the tail pipe of the M5 is clean. without black carbon residue.. not like the cx-7 of my friend and other vehicles I see in the parking lots.

Sorry I haven't gotten around to this until now, but been busy.

This is after an additional 300 miles or so from returning home, so it's well over 3,200 miles on this oil change.

Not too shabby:

ok that looks clean to me...

if you change more often then recommended its all good...

One thing I see in the business is those who stretch to the limit then abuse the 8K rule....JMO

Long trips are much easier on the oil than a multitude of short trips. On a short trip, you're wearing down the oil every time you start the car... though modern multi-grade synthetics can take this abuse better than older oils.

That is, unless your long trip is spent pegging the engine to the limiter in fifth gear...

Back