OIL filter change on my 2.0L PR5 Engine

clifton

:
2003 Protege5
I change my oil today and when screwing the oil filter off, it was completely drained of oil. It looked like It had not been filtering at all. It this what it looks like for others? First oil change of newly acquired 135K PR5. Thanks.

So you have a 2.0L Protege5 and when you change the oil filter, oil drains from it or is it empty?

Last edited:
Sometimes it has and sometimes it hasn't. Last oil change I did no oil dripped from filter....IIRC, that filter was a purolator pure one micronic, the gold colored one. I generally use K&N, mobil one or purolator, especially if one of those comes with the 5 quart jug on special at the auto parts. yes, I have a P5 with the FSDE 2.0L. I always get the filter for 2000 Mazda 626 6 cyl....same diameter and fit, just a bit taller where you can get 4 full quarts of oil in the motor/filter instead of 3.7 or whatever it is using the shorter P5 filter. BTW, Welcome aboard.............

Same for me. Sometimes my filter drips oil; sometimes not. Depends on the filter I use.

don't worry about it. this is normal. it's because it drains back into the engine when the car is shut off since the filter sits higher than perpendicular to the engine. if you are really worried then cut the used oil filter open, take the cartridge out and look for crud it filtered out.

don't worry about it. this is normal. it's because it drains back into the engine when the car is shut off since the filter sits higher than perpendicular to the engine. if you are really worried then cut the used oil filter open, take the cartridge out and look for crud it filtered out.

good idea

Not unusual. Mine does it every time (Mobil1 and Wix): barely any oil will leak out when removing the filter. I don't mind since it's that much less mess to clean up.

Keep in mind if it were an actual problem and you weren't getting oil circulation, the motor wouldn't last 5 minutes driving.

Not sure what jack### put the filter there when designing the car but I wouldn't mind a few words with the bastard...

if the filter is clogging it will bypass to keep circulation, but if your oil was not unusually dirty it should not be an issue. mine drips some when changing but not a lot

Even easier than cutting it open is to feel the filter (should be quite warm) after the engine has been running for a while. If it only gets a wee bit warm - be concerned and check for clogged passages.

Back