Oil Consumption

Mine has never leaked a drop either. Vivid, synthetic doesn't burn. If the cylinders are all burning the same amount of oil, it probably won't smoke too much. It takes alot of oil to actually create smoke. The catylitic converters will burn up most that gets out of the cylinders.

One question I want to ask those who is losing oil, how is your rear bumper close to the exhaust pipe? Clean or do you see any soot?

I had an Eagle Summit a few years ago (with a Mitsubishi engine) and it used 1 qt every 300 miles! But the engine runs fine, and I couldn't see any smoke hardly when i drove it, until one day when I was following my car, then I saw a little amount of smoke going uphill. But the soot was there for sure.

My exhaust pipe has soot on it but is had been like that from the beginning. All of the other cars I have owned and the majority I used to wash at a car wash have also had soot on the exhaust exit.

The dealer is still asking me for "proof" that I actually did my oil changes. He checked it after 100 miles and the level was fine. I have to get it checked after another 300 miles which should come soon. We'll see then. I am going to watch to make sure that the level really is ok and that they are not adding any and telling me it is ok. I have a natural distrust for...everybody really. (dunno)

Old Oil Consumption Experience

I once owned an '86 Ford Aerostar Van (Biggest piece of junk man has ever made), with a 3.0 liter V6 engine. From day one, this engine consumed a quart of oil every 500 miles, even after break in. Dealer service said that was normal (yeah, right!) and refused to do anything about it. I ran 10W-30 Mobil1 in it after 10,000 miles and it still used a quart every 500 miles. The interesting thing was the plugs never showed any oil burning evidence. The tail pipe was a bit sooty, but there was never any smoke. I suspect that synthetic burns differently than regular fossil oil and this may explain the lack of oil burning signs. The good news is that synthetic protects better and even when you run the car three quarts low, you may not have done serious damage to things. I once ran my '92 Saturn SC2 down over 3 quarts (on a 4 qt. fill) low and the motor never sounded any different. That motor had Mobil1 in it its entire life. That engine now has over 145.000 miles on it and it still uses a quart between 10,000 mile oil changes.
Jim

East Imports on 29th street.

I am still waiting to see what is going to happen. I haven't been driving much lately so it has only been about 400 miles since the last change and the level looks good (so far).

Jim Frye said:
I once owned an '86 Ford Aerostar Van (Biggest piece of junk man has ever made), with a 3.0 liter V6 engine. From day one, this engine consumed a quart of oil every 500 miles, even after break in. Dealer service said that was normal (yeah, right!) and refused to do anything about it. I ran 10W-30 Mobil1 in it after 10,000 miles and it still used a quart every 500 miles. The interesting thing was the plugs never showed any oil burning evidence. The tail pipe was a bit sooty, but there was never any smoke. I suspect that synthetic burns differently than regular fossil oil and this may explain the lack of oil burning signs. The good news is that synthetic protects better and even when you run the car three quarts low, you may not have done serious damage to things. I once ran my '92 Saturn SC2 down over 3 quarts (on a 4 qt. fill) low and the motor never sounded any different. That motor had Mobil1 in it its entire life. That engine now has over 145.000 miles on it and it still uses a quart between 10,000 mile oil changes.
Jim
mine was every 1000 miles

My dad's 2000 LX with the 1.8L uses about 1 quart every 5k miles. No smoke, nothing on spark plugs, just low oil every oil change. Mobil1 10w30

Just an update for anyone interested:

As suspected, the oil was down after about 1200 miles one quart. When the dealer saw it he said he would record it. He then asked me if I had yet found the receipts that I "should have" from every time I bought oil for the changes. Without those it would be "almost impossible" to get any type of repair. That is the lowdown.
I think that I am going to talk to the local warranty rep and inform him that despite the fact I own 2 mazdas...if I am denied warranty work I will NEVER purchase one again. Maybe he will be a little more understanding. (dunno)

I am down 2.5 quarts in the last 600KM(2 visits to the dealership). All my oil changes were done at the dealer. I am awaiting any action yet.

I was down about .5 quart once and of course it was the day i went to the track and no one had any 5w30 synthetic/oil on them??? i had about 32k on the car and have almost 40k now and have never had a problem again. not sure what happened?

sorry to hear/read about your condition. get a new motor from your dealer

My astro van burned 3 quarts every fill up. I would sometimes run it so low the oil light would come on. A couple of times it was so low that the hydraulic lifters were making a lot of noise from not being pumped up.

I put abou 30K miles on the car like that. It smoked a little but not that much even with that amount of consumption. Towards the end I did have to change the plugs every 5K miles.

3 quarts... Man, that's a lot of oil! Did you ever get it fixed?

My car smokes a little bit, the plugs are showing that oil is being burned, I already took it into Mazda 3 times to get the oil topped up and yet nothing is being done to fix it. I was told I would have to bring it in 3-4 more times yet and that still doesn't guarantee it will be fixed. What should I do? I just don't want all this hassle anymore.

I'm glad its not just me.

But I didn't start noticing the problem until after my warranty ran out.

I just keep extra oil around.

My 1991 B2200 truck burned a lot of oil on all 3 of its engines. Must be a Mazda thing.

Blown said:
3 quarts... Man, that's a lot of oil! Did you ever get it fixed?
Nahhh. I bought the MSP. Thing with that van is it ran pisser and idled so damn smooth. It looked nice too. Conversion van (rockon)

I was going to chop the roof off of it and just leave the windshield. I was going to drive it to the bars with all my buddies for a couple weeks before it went to the salvage lot. I ended up giving it to my friend who didnt have a car at all and he ran it completely out of oil and seized it.

Mazdamia said:
Just an update for anyone interested:

As suspected, the oil was down after about 1200 miles one quart. When the dealer saw it he said he would record it. He then asked me if I had yet found the receipts that I "should have" from every time I bought oil for the changes. Without those it would be "almost impossible" to get any type of repair. That is the lowdown.
I think that I am going to talk to the local warranty rep and inform him that despite the fact I own 2 mazdas...if I am denied warranty work I will NEVER purchase one again. Maybe he will be a little more understanding. (dunno)
Whether the dealer thinks it's right or not, they cannot deny you warranty work because of neglect (within reason), especially if they have absolutely no proof. Understand, I definitely believe you've changed the oil and everything, but even if the dealer doesn't they can't deny you warranty work with this unfounded claim. I too live here in grand rapids and you might talk to the jerks at Borgman - the service guys are nice but the actual mechanics as assholes. I know some people that are lawyers and I will talk to them to see what they think. I am interested in this too because I also change my own oil. I'll do some research and let you know what I find.
What I would say first off is, ask for it in writing! Whenever someone says "that's not covered in our warranty" I ask them to show it to me in writing. I also work at Sears Auto Center and I know that if it's not in writing, it's not official. If you're not getting anywhere with the service people at the dealership, talk to the manager, and if that doesn't work them keep going up the ladder. If you bought the car there at East, maybe see if your salesperson can help you out. It would cost you money, but you might think about going to a local shop and having them figure out what's wrong and then bring it back to East and tell them the oil didn't effect the problem. I can refer you to a couple places if you'd like.

Last edited:
Thanks DrummerJim50...I guess that the only problem I have so far is that the car is just burning oil. I haven't had any other issues (thankfully) yet. While I didn't buy this car at East, I did buy my truck there so I should have at least a little push.
Oh yea, the person I have been communicating with at the dealership is the Mazda service manager. When I go in for the next check-up I'll ask to see where lack of receipts for my own oil changes voids warranty.

And I just noticed that they didn't record the date/mileage from the oil change they did in my service book...which is what I have done everytime. (braindead

Back