Oil Change Not By Dealer

So I completed my oil change at Wal Mart using Mobil 1 Synthetic Etxended Performance and.............. everything went fine, just as usual. For $48 dollars including the tax, my oil was changed-and-fluids checked...air pressure and filters and all...and they vacummed and cleaned my car. Got to love that service for the money!

Its worth it... plus you have record that it was done (this is very important actually the most important).
We just had a guy come in, blown motor (only 20k miles)... Said he did the oil changes. So those of you that do it yourself? Even if its WM that is doing it, its still getting done and there is a paper trail. What that means is there is no proof (if you do it yourself) so its not covered under warranty!

I do my own and save all receipts and use the Mazda sites service record. I expect no problem IF I need warranty work.

Its worth it... plus you have record that it was done (this is very important actually the most important).
We just had a guy come in, blown motor (only 20k miles)... Said he did the oil changes. So those of you that do it yourself? Even if its WM that is doing it, its still getting done and there is a paper trail. What that means is there is no proof (if you do it yourself) so its not covered under warranty!

i keep all my receipts for oil filters and the oil. theres my proof.

i keep all my receipts for oil filters and the oil. theres my proof.

That just shows that you bought them...?
Who knows if it was done or not (correctly and or incorrectly). I guess they could say that it wasnt done by a certified shop too...

That just shows that you bought them...?
Who knows if it was done or not (correctly and or incorrectly). I guess they could say that it wasnt done by a certified shop too...

the owners manual tells me how to do it. why would they include instructions, if you weren't allowed to do it?

In addition; Mazdausa.com has a screen where you can put all your maintenance records. It appears that Mazda uses that record to remind you of upcoming surace according to mileage.

Can someone please let me know which normal style, screw-on/off filter works?

Oh yeah, the wife has her new 08 GT AWD, and she and I both love it (I expected to be annoyed with any crossover, but this car was markedly superior to the Acura RDX we thought we were going to buy).

Any thoughts or suggestions to a new owner?

Thanks!
Dave

Like many older, (pre-50's) cars, the filter is like an air filter, where it drops into a canister that mounts to the engine. You can do a conversion to screw-ons.

You have no choice as all CX 7s come with the canister type filter. I'm told that earlier Mazda's did use a spin-on type filter. The different mounting bracket can replace the canister mounting. The mounting bracket cost ~ $50 and must be installed by someone with some mechanical aptitude. Someone on this or another Mazda news group had instructions on how to do or let the dealer do it. Ed

I have the dealership change the oil. (Actually this is the first vehicle I have taken back to the dealership for service, all others (Toyota) were serviced by my mechanic.) They charge $35 for the oil change and other routine check-ups. With me being single, I honestly don't trust any of my male friends to change the oil. If something goes wrong, I only have myself to blame. I brought my 08 CX 7 in December 07 with 14,000 miles and have not had one problem with it. Actually, I'm going tomorrow to get the oil changed.

I kjnow this is an old post but can someone tell me what tool you need to take the canister off? Finally due for a change at 20K and will be doing this one myself. I think I see the canister in the front of the engine so not hard to get to but do not want to damage it.

Lol, just did it and it was easier than I thought. Took a little more time taking off that bottom panel (10screws) but everything else was not a problem.

To remove the canister cover you really need or should use a cap type filter wrench so not to damage the thermo plastic cover. Always install the new O-Rings that come with the filter and tighten the canister cover to 25 FT/LBS with a torque wrench if possible. Another tip that I discovered is to generously lubricate the ends of the filter element before installing. The step reduces the friction between the element and the spring loaded cover.. The result is much less chance of twisting the element,

Back