2017~2024 'Oil change due' vs. 'Service Due'

clads01

:
2017 CX-5 GT FWD Machine Gray
I'm a bit confused about these messages on my multi-information display. Right now, it dispays 'Oil change due' but also 'Service Due in 621 mi.'

In Mazda Connect (infotainment system), I have the following set for scheduled maintenance:

'Scheduled' = notification off
'Tire Rotation' = notification off
'Oil Change' = flexible, with 'Oil Life' currently displaying 621 mi.

Can anyone provide clarification on this? Seems like the oil change interval on Mazda Connect lines up with 'Service Due' message on the multi-info display, but then where is the 'Oil change due' message coming from? Will both be reset if I reset the oil change in Mazda Connect? -- I was planning on changing the oil myself soon.

I'm on Mazda Connect OS 59.00.446 NA N.

Last edited:
Since you have turned off notifications from Scheduled and Tire Rotation, bothOil change due and Service Due in 621 mi. are triggered by your Flexible Oil Change Monitor as you can see 621 mi. displayed under Oil Change tab. Interesting thing is the owners manual says the wrench indicator will be illuminated when the remaining oil life distance is less than 600 miles but yours is not there yet.

Is it your first oil change coming up? What is your current miles?

Ok, I guess that makes sense. But confusing that there are two different messages for the same thing. Is it the case that 'Service Due' appears for any of the three maintenance items, and a second message tells you what category of maintenance?

I'm at 7461 mi. I plan on changing oil (and rotating tires) myself this upcoming weekend. Got the oil change kit from Med Center Mazda.

EDIT: @yrwei52 -- just reading in the manual now that the wrench indicator comes on at '1000 km (600 mi)' before due, but actually 1000 km = 621 mi so I guess the underlying interval is metric, with just an approximate conversion to miles in the manual.

Last edited:
Ok, I guess that makes sense. But confusing that there are two different messages for the same thing.

I'm at 7461 mi. I plan on changing oil (and rotating tires) myself this upcoming weekend. Got the oil change kit from Med Center Mazda.
Some people here may not agree with you to change your first oil at 7,461 miles. Some even do the first oil change before reaching 1,000 miles. I did mine at 5,000 miles when my Flexible oil change monitor showed 30% of oil life left (2016 uses % instead of mile to show the oil life which makes more sense to me). Good to know you stick with Mazda moly oil and OEM filter, not to mention getting the oil change kit from our sponsor! You need a good 8mm Hex head socket for drain plug, and you do need all 5 quarts of moly oil to make oil level reaches only to of the Full/Max and Add/Min marks of the dipstick. 4.8 qt of oil capacity said in the owner’s manual is misleading.

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Last edited:
EDIT: @yrwei52 -- just reading in the manual now that the wrench indicator comes on at '1000 km (600 mi)' before due, but actually 1000 km = 621 mi so I guess the underlying interval is metric, with just an approximate conversion to miles in the manual.
Nice catch! That explains why! Everybody in the world but American is using metric system!

So, in essence, the oil change due and service interval are basically the same thing? No extra service but the oil/tire? I am at 5600 miles. Im going until the indicator alerts me to an oil change. This will be my first oil change

So, in essence, the oil change due and service interval are basically the same thing? No extra service but the oil/tire? I am at 5600 miles. I’m going until the indicator alerts me to an oil change. This will be my first oil change

My current working theory is that 'Service Due' in x miles appears for a long time (with escalating notifications, IIRC) just to keep you updated on when your next service/maintenance is due. The wrench and 'Oil change due' come on at 1000 km = 621 mi before due, to emphasize the point and indicate what type of service is (about to be) due. Perhaps something like 'Scheduled maintenance due' and 'Tire rotation due' come up when applicable, if you have those notifications set up.

I'm at 7461 mi. I plan on changing oil (and rotating tires) myself this upcoming weekend.
Just remembered one thing. With Flexible OCI it can go up to 1 year or 10,000 miles whichever comes first for 2016(.5) CX-5; but for 2017+ MY it has changed to 1 year or 7,500 miles (12,000km, no conversion error here). So in theory your wrench indicator should came up much earlier than now, unless somehow the calculation by Flexible oil change monitor got reset in the early stage, or theres bug in the PCM firmware which handles the calculation. So make sure to change you oil this weekend!

I always watch both actual mileage driven and the percentage of oil life left, and change oil around 5,000~6,500 miles with 30% of oil life left.

... for 2017+ MY it has changed to 1 year or 7,500 miles (12,000km, no conversion error here). So in theory your wrench indicator should came up much earlier than now, unless somehow the calculation by Flexible oil change monitor got reset in the early stage, or there’s bug in the PCM firmware which handles the calculation.

Yeah, wondered about why it would be at 8000+ mi. Don't know why. I do remember factory resetting the entire Mazda Connect system right after getting the car to resolve an issue with it freezing up, but that was right after delivery so pretty sure it was well before 500 mi. And actually I could have sworn that it was indicating service due at 7500 mi, but then only recently jumped up to indicate a later service due date (mileage).

Last edited:
So, in essence, the oil change due and service interval are basically the same thing? No extra service but the oil/tire? I am at 5600 miles. I’m going until the indicator alerts me to an oil change. This will be my first oil change
My current working theory is that 'Service Due' in x miles appears for a long time (with escalating notifications, IIRC) just to keep you updated on when your next service/maintenance is due. The wrench and 'Oil change due' come on at 1000 km = 621 mi before due, to emphasize the point and indicate what type of service is (about to be) due. Perhaps something like 'Scheduled maintenance due' and 'Tire rotation due' come up when applicable, if you have those notifications set up.
Well, you said it and I have a picture to prove what you’ve just said ⋯ :)

For 2016(.5) we don’t get ”Service Due in x miles” because we only have oil life percentage but not miles. If I were you, I’d try to get past 7,500-mile limit and see how the Flexible oil change monitor react since it’s so close to it. And if you do that, please report the result back with pictures to boot!

attachment.php

D2927EFF-FDE5-4BF7-9722-9F58899D4D6E.jpeg

Last edited:
These 3 items for maintenance I feel “Scheduled” is almost useless but it can be set for any fix mileage or time maintenance items other than oil change.

Latest posts

Back