Ohio Tail of the Dragon 2011 Interest Thread

Perro del Sol

:
2003 MSP, Spicy Orange, 2004 Mazda 6 Hatch, 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon
We have discussed this for a quick minute, but I figure i go ahead and see how many would be interested in having our own little Tail of the Dragon Weekend in the Spring in 2011. We already have contact information for hotels/motels and other accomodations, we just need to find the right time to pull this off.

Once we see who all is signed up, we can then do a poll for dates and then we settle on one. I have a coupl of ideas, like seeing if the MWMC would like to join us one we go tthings worked out, it would be nice to see a bunch of Mazda's headed down thru KY after gathering all of the OH folks. I can just all of these Mazda lined up headed to the soen to TN & NC.

I am sure I can get Mazda USA to back this, with some swag, etc.....so let me know what you guys think. I like our group as we are very tight knot and there is never any animosity, so I think it would be a lot of fun if we all just had our little Tail of the Dragon Fun Run!!!

Heck yeah!!! My parents rode their goldwing on the dragon during our Mohican fun run. I got to watch their video and look thru the pics yesderday. I'm game.

I'd love to, but can't commit due to Student-Teaching and stuff in the Spring. I definitely think there is enough interest, especially if we gather the southern Ohio guys. Any date will either work or won't work for me, so don't worry about it.

I'd love to, but can't commit due to Student-Teaching and stuff in the Spring. I definitely think there is enough interest, especially if we gather the southern Ohio guys. Any date will either work or won't work for me, so don't worry about it.
Don't you get Spring Break Chippy? I am sure we'll find to something that will fit the bill for ya.....

were we going to try for something in the middle of the week instead of a weekend so it would be less crowded? or would that not work for people....

Weekend, weekday, you'll still see the same amount of traffic. When we went for a weekend, we did not encounter a lot of traffic and had a lot of great runs.

i guess it depends on the week/weekend...like is it spring break for schools/colleges? or is there a holiday where people have an extended weekend?...
we want to go, but i really don't want to deal with lots of cars on the road and all the police that would be watching those cars....

from my parents video, I would highly recommend we have several small groups (3 or 4 cars max). It's very rarely a straight road and you're always in a turn. Not to mention the whole stretch that's technically "the dragon" is only a 30 mph zone. It takes around 20 minutes from beginning to end. We could always venture up to the Blue Ridge Pkwy as well.

We had 6 cars and we always have our radios with us to let the other drivers know if we pick up the cops on radar. We done all of the other drives as well, so it won't be limited to the Dragon only...agin, we will do what is best for the overall benefit of the group.

Depending on the group vote of course, I think a thursday travel day, friday and saturday for runs/events, and sunday to travel back home. Cookouts, sight seeing, spirited driving, and beer (not while driving of course). I shouldn't have to say that though because we are a pretty responsible group. April might work well, Chippy will have spring break and the weather will still be cool but nice.

Last edited:
I read an article in a magazine while I was in HS before I knew what the Dragon was, or before I was into cars much, and I think I remember it saying about cops not pursuing speeders on the road anymore. Now, the biggest thing I don't remember is if it was just motorcycles, or cars too, but at least the road is closed to semis. The biggest reason the cops didn't pursue is because they end up wrecking just as much, and it caused the people they were chasing to wreck more, too. Go figure.

Not sure of your route down but Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway are must drives as well.

I've been hoping for this!!! I definitely want to do this. One of the main roads on my list to run :)

I'd be in for it. I think we can probably put together a good group for it.

Back