Official 'Smoking Turbo' response from Mazda

Can you explain to me how/why raising the idle a few hundred rpms would help reduce smoke? Thanks.

The RPM increase raises the crankcase pressure on both sides of the seals of the turbo reducing blowby. The seals of the turbo are a pressure seal design and without that increased pressure do not properly seat up to their mating surface.

The RPM increase raises the crankcase pressure on both sides of the seals of the turbo reducing blowby. The seals of the turbo are a pressure seal design and without that increased pressure do not properly seat up to their mating surface.

Thanks Blender... I think I'll try upping the idle to 9 bills when I flash my new fmic map on tomorrow night. That TP is killing me. I'll get to the 5w/40 asap.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. There is only one aftermarket DP that can fit with a test pipe and/or the second cat and that's the corksport DP. ALL the other DPs take out the second cat/TP. The OEM DP has the OEM front cat, so a TP only takes out the second cat.

You can get a DP with a high-flow cat (except the CS) that adds a bit of backpressure and keeps the OBD emissions logic happy in the ECU.

Edit - NM, reading comprehension fail...

we are saying the same thing.... I should have said "a catted downpipe will have more restriction than a catless DP with test pipe. more restriction = more back pressure = less oil passing the seals in the turbo = less smoke."

I meant running with no cats > smoke < with cats

Last edited:
Took it the dealer recently and I brought up the PCV fix. I was told it is not ready yet, delayed again, but they should see something by the end of the year. (notcool)

Looking through these posts, that seems to be a recurring story. The dealer keeps telling people "Mazda is working on it, they know that it is a problem, but the fix is not available." I am starting to agree with some of the other forum members here, I don't know if they are even working on a fix. They know it is a problem but is it a BIG enough problem for corporate to take care of? It sure is if they want repeat customers! This is the first Mazda I have ever owned, the first foreign car even, and I really do enjoy this car. But Mazda has to step up and remedy this annoyance, and a few other bugs with the MS6, if they want my money next time I go to buy a car.

I understand that there is only a few thousand MS6's here in the US but this problem seems to be across the board with this motor (MS3, CX-9). So you would think that Mazda would do something about this. Time will tell...

P.S. The knock/fuel cut/loss of boost was due to the CAI filter being so clogged with the winter's sand and salt here in New England that it was messing with the MAF. I have tried a few hard 0-60's since and it has pretty much gone away. Depending on how long I warm it up it still cuts power shifting into third, cold, does it, warm, doesn't.

after 3 mazdaspeeds, all with some sort of issue and Mazda claiming there was a "fix coming soon". I gave up waiting. They just do not fix things - then your warranty is gone.

Really sad, because otherwise they'd have me for life. I love the Mazdaspeeds - minus the smiley's.

I haven't done this yet but I heard installing an oil catch can will eliminate the smoking problem. Has any one done this?

plenty have done this and its not a cure all, it might help but the occ is not the best fix. its because the crankcase isn't see enough vacuum at idle to pull the oil from the turbo thus backing up the seals. increasing idle is a good fix because it will induce lower pressure on crankcase.

Dang, well I've heard increasing the idle is a quick fix. How do you do this? It is recomended?

I hear good things about Cobb, kind of high though. What you think?

cobb is the cheaper of the 2. cpe standback is the other option

if your looking for mild power increases, cobb ap is fine, if your going for 400+ then cpe standback

I have the ap btw

Last edited:
Coob guy said I would have to get a custom map for my fujita intake. Any one run a stage 1 with one of these?

U can probably run the stg1+mscai map with some minor tweaking in atr. Your better off searching or creating a diff thread than asking here tho....

VC Breather Catch Can to fix smoke from turbo seal blowby?

A lot of people run Oil Catch Cans on the PCV circuit, but very few run them on the Valve Cover Breather circuit as well. It seems like the main reasoning for this is that there isn't nearly as much oil blowby present in the Valve Cover Breather circuit.

I'm wondering if (in addition to a catch can on the PCV circuit) it would be beneficial to install a catch can into the Valve Cover Breather circuit as well.

I'm thinking that it may not only help with reducing blowby vapors into the engine, but also help with the smoking @ idle that is so prevalent.

I've read through these threads:

http://forum.***************/mazdaspeed6/228611-mazda-admits-smoking-problem-11.html
http://**************************/forum/f33/how-install-pt-performance-oil-burning-fix-36076/
http://mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123748050&highlight=downpipe&page=24

Those threads talk about a fix for smoking @ idle that a lot of people seem to notice especially after a DP or TP install.

Here is the fix that is discussed - http://www.pt-performance.com/showProduct.php?vID=3&cID=4&pID=260

This fix is based on the idea that the smoking issue is fixed by reducing air flow that is going into the crankcase via the valve cover breather and therefore increasing the amount of vacuum created by the PCV system. Apparently, during low loads the vacuum is needed to allow oil to drain back from the turbo into the pan instead of slipping past the turbo seals.

This fix seems to work for a lot of people. Also, people who have installed this are reporting lower Knock Retard numbers, which makes sense because during WOT the flow is reversed (when PCV is closed) and air is flowing from the crankcase through the valve cover breather into the intake, along with oil vapor. So the reduction in flow is resulting in less oil vapor and lower KR numbers.

I'm wondering if adding a catch can to the valve cover breather circuit would accomplish the same thing; adding restriction to the valve cover breather hose to increase the vacuum in the crank case while the PCV system is active and thereby fixing the idle smoke issues just as the PT-Performance restrictor pill does; Also, it should do even more in regards to reducing Knock Retard since not only is the flow being reduced, but oil vapor should be further reduced because of the catch can.

Thoughts?

Yup add me to the list of smoking turbos.....all I have is a PG TIP/SRI and it smokes everytime I am at a stop for more than 1-2 min...sometimes less. I can smell the oil and then see a puff of smoke when I take off.....Didn't notice any issues until the last time I went in for an oil change at the dealership.....so I am wondering what oil they put in my car....it had previously no smoking issues with 5w-30 so I dunno what happened. I am going to try 5w-40.....and if it still smokes I am going to put the stock airbox and TIP back on. I had experimented before with the stock airbox and TIP and it stopped the smoking before....but I have no idea why this would cause the smoking.

***UPDATE***

Had Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 in the car for 3000 miles now and no smoke has been present. I run Shell 93 V-Power exclusively and get 400 miles to the tank on the highway. Will switch to Rotella 5W-40 and see what happens next week.

Back